Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Tesla to Add Dashcam Functionality ‘Soon’

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TMC Member smorgasbord tipped us off nearly two weeks ago that Tesla is working on a software update to use the front camera to support dashcam functionality. Smorgasbord caught wind of the development at a private reception for Roadster owners during Monterey Car Week that included appearances by President of Global Sales & Service Jon McNeill and Chief Designer Franz von Holzhausen.

Now, CEO Elon Musk has confirmed on Twitter that an integrated dashcam is “coming soon.”

Tesla’s vehicles are now all equipped with 8 cameras to power its Autopilot features, but to date owners have had to turn to an aftermarket dashcam option like the Blackvue. There’s even been some recent discussion on the forum regarding options for a dahshcams.

When Tesla manages to roll out functionality, it will likely be a big blow to those aftermarket offerings.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in the same boat. Just upgraded to the DR650 and waiting on a Massdrop buy for the DR750 and will retrofit for the pair. I am going to do it anyway. Half committed now. While there may be redundancy, frankly I don't think we can have too much video protection collection these days. I can always ignore the second set of videos if there's a problem the first set doesn't collect - whatever the reason.

Like this kind of bulk discount... or do you think there will be a better price?

Blackvue Dash Cam Group Buy | Tesla

Model 3 Owners Club Dashcam Group Buy

Ya know, if they can't get the cameras working for autopilot anytime soon may as well put 'em to good use in the meantime as dashcams.
i hear ya my bratha . . . . sure gets old . . . . AP2 diving toward many of the off-ramps / sides of wide lanes / etc.
Heck!
Here's a REALLY whack thought .... open up ALL cameras for anti/fraud/insurance use. Is there any valid reason this shouldn't already be going on?
Like this kind of bulk discount... or do you think there will be a better price?

Blackvue Dash Cam Group Buy | Tesla

Model 3 Owners Club Dashcam Group Buy
Once Musk grasps that Tesla can make this into (another) cash cow, it'll happen.
As for Blackvue?
Save your self the $$$$
As a long time (one of many) disappointed user - (just check out the endless list of owners that can't get Blackue to run - regarding consistent decent night time video ... wifi dropouts ... high speed video cars passing by in a fuzzy mode ... cloud uploads .... "fake full cloud" messages .... micro sim chip burn out due to cameras running consistently at over 140° Fahrenheit (ever hear of ANY electronics lasting long at those temps?) horrible warranty support, etc. The entire industry really is hardly ready for prime time. Tesla REALLY REALLY REALLY has a HUGE opportunity to over take this horrible market

Last edited: