Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla To Charge $1k For Black Paint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wouldn't be surprised if the "black as default color" was always purely an Elon-defined edict to be a Model T homage even though as you stated it doesn't make sense from a swirl/defect standpoint.

If that's the case, then their "homage" cost me $1000. I always felt that they put the ugliest, least desirable color on the car for free, to get people to spend more money on getting a different color.

my guess is that it will be Obsidian Black that returns for $1k, and this is likely in response to all of the people complaining about paint damage on the standard black single coat paint. White will mask road debris damage a lot more than Black will, and definitely makes a better standard paint than black does from an appearance standpoint.

Pearl white is apparently the new silver :)

Any current white owner who got their car last year thinks Tesla just devalue our car further?
Got the RWD, EAP
So many changes in less than 8 months.

Feel free to comment your thoughts
I don't know, I pick up my WHITE M 3 AWD LR on Sunday. I was happy that I'd have one of the more unique-looking colors, but I don't regret my choice. I don't think I'm too unhappy about this change.

As for pearl white being an old white man's color -- that's me!

Any current white owner who got their car last year thinks Tesla just devalue our car further?
Got the RWD, EAP
So many changes in less than 8 months.

Feel free to comment your thoughts

My comments are the first Model S’s with no parking sensors lost more. Those who took delivery in Sep 2016 vs Oct 2016 lost a lot more than someone who paid a little more for paint.

The first Model 3’s produced in 2017 are essentially the same as the Model 3’s being produced today.

Does your car also have homelink? If it does you saved 300 bucks and a LOT of hassle to get that installed today.

Reactions: spurs10
If that's the case, then their "homage" cost me $1000. I always felt that they put the ugliest, least desirable color on the car for free, to get people to spend more money on getting a different color.
Unfortunately in the US black tends to be the second choice after white, so that would have been a bad plan (even worse in the Netherlands, where people are frugal and society is divided in "as dark and unassuming as possible, thank you" and "as flashy as possible, thank you" with little in between).

So I guess this is both an attempt to:

-have a basic colour plus "expensive white" and "expensive black", to get more average margin
-have a basic colour that is less scratch-sensitive, for a flat non-mulitcoat colour.

pearlvswhite-jpg.52653

Tesla plans to start charging $1,000 for black paint next month, and will make white the standard color offered for free. Chief Executive Elon Musk announced the change in a tweet. He didn’t elaborate on what motivated the decision from Tesla. Starting next month, Tesla will charge $1000 for color black (same price as silver)—...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2019/06/20/tesla-to-charge-1k-for-black-paint/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]
It’s a study in psychology. black has always been more popular than white and harder to find. but charge more and psychological effect is it must be better. until everyone buys white. my 2 cents.

• Informative
Reactions: JBT66
The Model 3 is a budget car and thus they sold huge numbers of base cars in black. I’m sure the white will have the highest volume now and then because the white hides defects so much easier they will ultimately save money because of less complaints.

"It’s expected that Tesla will introduce a new version of white, which would differ from the current pearl white offering."
I would definitely have taken a standard white over Pearl white. The current Pearl process seems to be to use standard white in the dipping process, then over spray just the exterior surface with Pearl. That appears to be exactly what they did with mine; open the doors to see the standard white. And a pretty piss poor job at that... I paid a $2,600 premium for Pearl, and that is what I got.

More (including photos) at this thread: Pearl White

The Model 3 is a budget car and thus they sold huge numbers of base cars in black. I’m sure the white will have the highest volume now and then because the white hides defects so much easier they will ultimately save money because of less complaints.
I beg to differ that "white hides defects". White actually accentuates defects because of shadowing. Imperfect body line really show up with white because your eye is drawn to the shadow lines of the imperfections.

One of the quality issues that I have been wrestling with Tesla Service on (they are refusing to fix it) is that the two outside sensors on the rear bumper are not mounted properly; they are slightly recessed. If the vehicle was black, it wouldn't be noticed; the white really accentuates it.

Did I mention... Tesla refuses to fix it.

Black would actually be better if that is the goal.

• Informative
Reactions: alloverx
I beg to differ that "white hides defects". White actually accentuates defects because of shadowing. Imperfect body line really show up with white because your eye is drawn to the shadow lines of the imperfections.

One of the quality issues that I have been wrestling with Tesla Service on (they are refusing to fix it) is that the two outside sensors on the rear bumper are not mounted properly; they are slightly recessed. If the vehicle was black, it wouldn't be noticed; the white really accentuates it.

Did I mention... Tesla refuses to fix it.

Black would actually be better if that is the goal.
Sorry to disagree with your incorrect information on what color hides defects, I own a body shop and auto dealership and black paint without question shows defects to a higher degree than any color other than a chrome or metallic wrap due to the reflected images on black, dark colors of reflective wraps.

Last edited:
Now my white multicoat looks same as free one? I demand money back NOW!

s
I also have Pearl white and while demanding money back seems a bit of an irrational request, it would certainly bother me that a color that I paid for as an upgrade would now be on par with a standard option - diminishing the value of my color. Others in the string are claiming it is not pearl but a basic white, which is fine with me.