Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla To Charge $1k For Black Paint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would totally agree as a former body shop worker, white paint(especially single coat) is MUCH easier to match. This coupled with it being harder to detect scratches and swirls will be a HUGE boost for them when selling base models as fewer touchups and rejected deliveries will boost profit per car. Smart move by Tesla. also improves the price for "fleet" customers like deliveries.
That was always obvious though, so I wonder why it took them this long to make the change.

See now, this is what I wanted when I ordered my 3 last April. Plain white, no cost. But no, I had to pay extra for Pearl White (it was $1000 at the time) to not get black paint.

I wrote quite a bit complaining about why is there no plain white paint. I had seen it on Model S's and I was fine with it compared to Pearl White. My Pearl White 3 looks good to me, and it is not far from plain white, I'd probably have to park it right next to a plain white S to see the difference.

Crazy as it may sound, I've seen a couple brown Model S's, and it didn't look that bad, I would have half considered brown for my 3 if it were a choice.

But now there will be another wave of discontent from people who like black painto_O. The formerly free black now costs $1000 or whatever. Tesla has no way to claim this isn't a money grab after it was free for over a year. And I think few will pay for Pearl White when the plain white is free.

I would be curious to see the Model 3 sales reports for the next couple quarters, how many black, white, and Pearl White cars are ordered. Compared to when black was free. This will tell the difference between the people who really like black, and those who were too cheap or couldn't afford non-black.

Last edited:
See now, this is what I wanted when I ordered my 3 last April. Plain white, no cost. But no, I had to pay extra for Pearl White (it was $1000 at the time) to not get black paint.

I wrote quite a bit complaining about why is there no plain white paint. I had seen it on Model S's and I was fine with it compared to Pearl White. My Pearl White 3 looks good to me, and it is not far from plain white, I'd probably have to park it right next to a plain white S to see the difference.

Crazy as it may sound, I've seen a couple brown Model S's, and it didn't look that bad, I would have half considered brown for my 3 if it were a choice.

But now there will be another wave of discontent from people who like black painto_O. The formerly free black now costs $1000 or whatever. Tesla has no way to claim this isn't a money grab after it was free for over a year. And I think few will pay for Pearl White when the plain white is free.

I would be curious to see the Model 3 sales reports for the next couple quarters, how many black, white, and Pearl White cars are ordered. Compared to when black was free. This will tell the difference between the people who really like black, and those who were too cheap or couldn't afford non-black.

The difference between white and pearl white is pretty significant, actually. Pearl white looks quite pearlescent (which is why I don’t care for it), whereas white doesn’t. In the right light pearl white is really funky looking.

In addition, pearl white is much more expensive to fix paint damage than a solid white, since blending is involved etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leeclanual
If the new "base white" sells too well compared to Pearl White:

trabant-4.png

The image unfortunately does not do justice to the dullness of the paint, which was truly spectacular. I can see some specular reflection in this image, while the real life car was as close to a pure Lambertian scatterer as it gets. I suspect this one has ceramic coating, because it looks too good.
To match the 'base white' of the Trabbi, Tesla would also have to make the Model 3 out of papier mache. Oops, didn't mean to give Elon ideas ...

I was actually planning on buying a white model 3 next month, Looks like i may be able to save 1500 now. Will have to look at both in person to decide if the plain white looks good enough to not spend the 1500.
I like it on the S loaner I had, I would have just gotten plain white for sure. But who knows on the 3, my white paint isn't anything to brag about, perhaps plain white will still not be the same as it was on the older S. Or maybe it will be better than my pearl white.

Last edited:
Maybe this will reduce some of their production needing lots of reworking due to picky customers that seem to be able find tiny flaws in the no extra charge black paint.

While does not show scratches as much. Easier to blend panel to panel, is easier to keep clean looking and tiny specks of dust become almost unnoticed.

I love the standard white on my X. It is a nice clean and bright shade of white, that to me looks nicer than most of the other shades of white on other cars.

On the other hand, maybe this is just another demand level that Elon is announcing that will get many potential owners to place their order before they desired black Model 3 goes up in price $1,000. Others, who prefer white to black, will suddenly see that their desired white Model 3 has just gone down $1,000 in price.

Reactions: Glamisduner