Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla To Charge $1k For Black Paint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think Elon is gaining confidence by looking at the order volume but I'm not convinced it will remain strong after we finish Q2. I would guess a lot of orders are being pulled in to make the cutoff for the tax credit, similar to what happened at the end of last year. But then January rolled around and we saw three price drops in a row within 60 days.
That record is broken. We hear it every quarter

This is positive for me. Black is not a sensible colour here in summer so I previously needed to choose something at cost. Now I can put that (small) saving toward the better battery.

And white is everyone's second favourite colour when it comes to resale (according to a guy from Toyota Australia I spoke with years ago - he may have just been justifying their choice of white as the base/free option of course!)

True! I live here in Texas and stupid enough to have black!

most-popular-car-colors.jpg

Yea if I could have gotten standard white instead I may have. As much as the pearl is cool, it's much much harder to touch up and repaint if needed.

Sucks I had to pay extra to get white compared to what will not be a base model, but at the same time I'm still glad I don't have black.

Black color for Model 3 in my opinion is so finicky to care and I regret I didn't do ceramic coat right after i took delivery of the car. Now I have to do paint correction, then ceramic coat/front PPF, and pray to the god every time before I wash my car hope that I didn't induce any swirl mark.

If it is white color I pretty much just leave the paint alone and happily ever after. But bottom line is, black color is absolutely amazing as long as I wash my car everyday and keep it shines like mirror.

Black color for Model 3 in my opinion is so finicky to care and I regret I didn't do ceramic coat right after i took delivery of the car. Now I have to do paint correction, then ceramic coat/front PPF, and pray to the god every time before I wash my car hope that I didn't induce any swirl mark.

If it is white color I pretty much just leave the paint alone and happily ever after. But bottom line is, black color is absolutely amazing as long as I wash my car everyday and keep it shines like mirror.
Yea the work, and the heat in the summer. I think white cars paint tends to last longer that other colors since it reflects light. Plus the primer is white under the paint so chips don't show up as much. (except for bumpers which are black under the paint).

Presumably black is very popular, and they are testing whether making it an upgrade can increase the average sale price. Although my guess is black is popular because lots of people who buy the Model 3 (like me) are already pushing their budget/conscience and simply cannot defend (to themselves) spending extra on something as fanciful as a particular color.

If I'm right, white will sell about as well as the black did. Perhaps Elon should find a color few could tolerate and make that the default?

If the new "base white" sells too well compared to Pearl White:

trabant-4.png

The image unfortunately does not do justice to the dullness of the paint, which was truly spectacular. I can see some specular reflection in this image, while the real life car was as close to a pure Lambertian scatterer as it gets. I suspect this one has ceramic coating, because it looks too good.

I'm really glad I didn't pick white. The plain white is very difficult to tell apart from the pearl white unless you're near the car and looking closely. Would suck to pay $2000 for what looks like the base model.

I actually think it's very easy to distinguish unless the cars are dirty. Any kind of film of dirt over the pearlescent white makes it harder to see but when the car is clean and especially if you ceramic coat it or put on ppf, they're very easy to distinguish.

Reactions: JetSpeed
I would totally agree as a former body shop worker, white paint(especially single coat) is MUCH easier to match. This coupled with it being harder to detect scratches and swirls will be a HUGE boost for them when selling base models as fewer touchups and rejected deliveries will boost profit per car. Smart move by Tesla. also improves the price for "fleet" customers like deliveries.

• Informative
Reactions: Scott7 and SSedan