Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla to open up service tools/parts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla is working on opening up its service tools and helping owners repair their own cars with replacement parts

Anybody see Mr. McNeil post anything here about this? I remember seeing the post about the P models and pulling the counters back, or at least not limiting them, but I don't recall seeing this. It would be awesome as I have a 2012 P85 with 65K and am pretty mechanically/electronically inclined so I would love to be able to repair/replace parts when needed. Hell it may even allow for things like dual chargers or other minor upgrades to be made outside the service center.

Tesla is working on opening up its service tools and helping owners repair their own cars with replacement parts

Anybody see Mr. McNeil post anything here about this? I remember seeing the post about the P models and pulling the counters back, or at least not limiting them, but I don't recall seeing this. It would be awesome as I have a 2012 P85 with 65K and am pretty mechanically/electronically inclined so I would love to be able to repair/replace parts when needed. Hell it may even allow for things like dual chargers or other minor upgrades to be made outside the service center.

Some of us do that already on more minor stuff.

Yeah, I knew things like that were possible already but things like dual chargers or replacing a bad charger require deeper access to the system, being able to configure modules and redeploy firmware and what not. My hope is that this is the kind of access they are talking about working up. Tesla really needs to allow for people to work on their cars or at least third party mechanics to do it as vehicles exit the warranty periods and especially as the Model 3 comes out and ages out of it's warranty. Tesla service rates are way to high to justify on a $35K car.

I do indeed and I applaud your efforts! By chance are you willing to share the methods you used to gain the access and the procedures for updating? If not then it doesn't do the rest of us much good.

As an independent mechanic that specializes in hybrid cars and EVs, it would be nice to "officially" do more Tesla work.
Right I now either I have to stick to aftermarket upgrades (nosecones, lighting, wireless charging, etc) or seek out junkyard parts. I worry that in the middle of a Tesla job I'll end up unable to get the official parts that I need.
Daily pricing looks a little expensive, but the annual plan is not different than other OEMs.
There are other guys like ce2078 that have put in a lot of effort to do things that even Tesla never intended. Which would be fun to see more of!