Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla To Sell In Europe

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wonderful! Being sold within the EU this opens up sales to all EU countries, the only downside for other EU countries being far-away maintenance.

Can anybody from Norway and/or Sweden give me the tax incentives and other financial details?

Now I really need to find EUR 80.000 (or so) really soon!

Woohooo .... I really need to start saving all my øre (that's our pennies :) Hopefully by the time the Whitestar starts rolling off the assemblyline I should have some cash :) This is really good news...

About the incentives, comparing price in Norway to some likely competitors.
Audi R8 (4,2 FSI V8, 420bhp R tronic),
base price: $186 000 + taxes and fees $162 000
Audi TT, (Roadster, 2.0 TFSI, 200bhp, S tronic),
base price: $66 700 + taxes and fees $38 500
Audi TT (Roadster, 3.2 V6 quatto, 250bhp, S tronic),
base price: $77 700 + taxes and fees $71 800

Tesla Roadster:
base price: $98 000 ? + taxes: $0 + fees $304

This should give you a good indication what a "similar" ICE sportscar costs in Norway. And please note that the fees on the Roadster is a "deposit" on scrapping the car. You get those $304 back when the car is delivered to a junkyard instead of dumped somewhere in nature. Of course Norway is a wildly expensive country so some sort of dealer/transport markup is expected on the base price but the states currently does not add anything to the price of EVs.

YAYYYY.... this is good news :)

Cobos

Looking at the article posted in post #1 it seems Darryl has answered one of the comments were he says they are aiming for a wider launch in Europe than the nothern countries. Still as they say Norway and Sweden are very competitive and has a very EV friendly enviroment. In about 1 month we are getting about 20 free parking spots with free electricity in a parking garage at the very center of Oslos cinema and entertainment district. Not to mention a rocks throw to the Royal Castle, and that is just the first of the 400 coming in the next 2 years...
The good news seen from my eyes is that if I got the money I probably wouldn't have to wait much longer than any US citizen to get my Whitestar bought in Norway not imported myself.

Cobos

base price: $98 000 ? + taxes: $0 + fees $304

I fear something like $125.000 + taxes, but still...

Does this mean that EV's are also exempt from VAT???

Furthermore the base price can be higher or lower depending on a few factors.

- the aluminium frame is made in Norway, and to get it into the US, Tesla has to pay import tax
- a large part of the assembly is done in Hethel (UK), and may be taxed when brought into the US (somebody with knowledge of international tax laws can perhaps expand on this?)
- if I were to import a Tesla into the EU I would have to pay 10% import tax (on the whole car)

Since I own my own company I could by the car as a company car and thus avoid the VAT (19% in the Netherlands, higher in Nordic countries).

Raymond: YES. Within that taxes and fees part on the ICE cars you pay 25% VAT and a sin tax on the pollution. The sin tax increases with 3 factors, weight, CO2 emmisions and power, which is why that part is so much bigger on the 3.2L Audi TT compared to the 2.0L TT.
EVs can also drive in the HOV/PT lanes, has free municipal parking, soon with recharge capabilites, no yearly license plate tax and can pass the toll booths for free. Currently if you lease something for your EV you pay VAT, so Think's battery lease solution means you pay VAT on that monthly battery lease/insurance. I'd take a guess and say that would probably go away pretty soon as well.

Cobos

Tesla is not prepared AT ALL to launch in Europe. Let's look at the U.S. waiting list, which more buyers take delivery in '09, right? Tesla has to learn and maneuver through the European regs and than pruduce the Roadster. 2012 at the earliest would be my WAG.

Perhaps with a FUNDED European Tesla branch it may occur quicker, but I wouldn't bet on it.

The lack of production capacity might definately be a problem. When it comes to the regs they are a lot easier to work through than you'd think. My layman look at the Norwegian rules seems to clearly show that any car getting general acceptance (not the limited production run rules of the UK) in the EU zone is immediately accepted within Norway. Any original car made in the US and generally qualified as a normal car (which might rule out the old-type airbag exemption) from the manufacturer is legal to import and use in Norway. I do not know how the rules are for someone selling them in Norway instead of importing for own use, but I guess there are lots of lawyers which will gladly check this in Europe for a fee of course.
Finding out what kind of changes they need to do to get the car legally into Europe shouldn't be a big hurdle. It might cost a bit of money of course, but that shouldn't be a problem. Doing small changes to the car might cost a bit of course. And it seems like this announcement simply tells that Tesla will put up that bit of financing to start the process of getting it certified. Sooner or later they would have to do this anyway since they always intended to sell in Europe. The only change is just doing the legal groundwork earlier and if it is trivial to get it accepted try to build up a sales and service division in some European countries.
Remember that the eroding dollar has said that the 2009 model and at least the 2010 model would probably add a big price increase. Would they sell everything they make after the first 900 if the sticker price is $125 000 f. inst. in the US? Maybe, I do not have the marketing data of Tesla but you can bet they know. :)

Cobos

Tesla seems to be in hyperbole mode again...they have more sold cars in the US than they know how to build, they have shown the car in Canada (probably got free space at the Montreal Auto Show) and now with the weak dollar they are going to sell cars in Europe.

If I'd have a deposit on one of these cars, right now I would consider asking for my money back....enough hyperbole.

DDB/AGR

To mention that we will be announcing our european sales plans doesn't strike me as hyperbole. With the Euro at $1.50 accelerating our Euro plans is good common sense. We won't be shipping any cars there until we have shipped to at least all the current waiting list. You'll hear more on that soon.

As far as homologation, it isn't a cakewalk but it isn't as complicated as you might imagine for several reasons. Low production volume manufacturers have a simpler path and there are new rules being passed in the EU that simplifies homologation across the EU after April 09.

Darryl

AFP: Tesla's electric sports car aiming at Europe market

"The minute the Roadster was unveiled, we had interest from Europe," Tesla vice president Darryl Siry told AFP during an interview at the new-age car maker's headquarters in the city of San Carlos.
"Europeans are much more advanced in their thinking about issues of sustainability and the idea of having a beautiful sports car that produces zero emissions is very attractive to people."

Any insight into 2010 pricing in Europe ?

The only thing holding me back so far is the price premium on the European launch. Yes, I have heard the arguments, but any way you slice it a fully loaded 09 in the US is approximately 120K USD, and over here (not including 7.6% VAT) it's over 160K for the Euro launch edition.

Is the "signature" launch edition worth the premium ? I guess that is up to the individual to decide. So the real question is: will the "normal" (post Euro launch) Roadster be more in line with US pricing (appropriately multiplied by the Euro exchange rate) ?

Just for reference - diesel over here is now at 7.74USD/gallon (calculated), after be above $8 for the last few weeks. If the surge continues, we will be paying more than $12/gallon within one year (as if dropping $165 to [currently] fill the tank wasn't bad enough).

Also, does anyone know if Tesla will be getting any closer to Zürich than the Paris auto show ? Somehow 4.5 hours to get there on the TGV isn't very appealing...

regards

P