Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla to start charging for streaming music starting July 1st

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Or Tesla, with all their technology and advancement can make MP3 players work in their cars.
X_x

You're demanding pre-Bluetooth support, on a platform that even Apple abandoned years ago. Apple's own product made it obsolete. There's only so many years back in technology that it makes sense to support. When the obvious solution is right there in the hands of every owner anyway this just isn't going to work out the way you demand.

This is like people getting bent out of shape that there's no AM radio in the Tesla. Technology and advancement are the reason that there's no easy, direct way to use that Classic iPod.

Last edited:
I know a lot of people are complaining about no Sirius XM option on the car. I spent 15 minutes on the phone with them repeatedly telling the person to cancel my account because my new car doesn't have Sirius XM in it. The person kept trying to sell me on an add-on device or service on my phone. I will never order their product until you can cancel online. It shouldn't take me 15 minutes to cancel my account.

I do wish there were more integrated options even though I have been enjoying slacker radio quite a bit.

I know a lot of people are complaining about no Sirius XM option on the car. I spent 15 minutes on the phone with them repeatedly telling the person to cancel my account because my new car doesn't have Sirius XM in it. The person kept trying to sell me on an add-on device or service on my phone. I will never order their product until you can cancel online. It shouldn't take me 15 minutes to cancel my account.

I do wish there were more integrated options even though I have been enjoying slacker radio quite a bit.

Sirius XM radio is available as a premium option on all Model S and X vehicles ... as long as you also order the sunroof :cool:

upload_2018-6-25_19-16-52.png

• Love
Reactions: Narekzo
X_x

You're demanding pre-Bluetooth support, on a platform that even Apple abandoned years ago. Apple's own product made it obsolete. There's only so many years back in technology that it makes sense to support. When the obvious solution is right there in the hands of every owner anyway this just isn't going to work out the way you demand.

This is like people getting bent out of shape that there's no AM radio in the Tesla. Technology and advancement are the reason that there's no easy, direct way to use that Classic iPod.

Too bad Bluetooth is still wonky. More than one device? And what of a USB stick with your music. Will it start playing where it left off? Come on man. These are simple, basic things that should work in this car.

X_x

AAP - or Apple Accessory Protocol is the standard that allows iPods (and iPhones) to be connected via USB, and then allow the vehicle to fully access all the music info (i.e. ID3 info on artist, album, etc.). This support is quietly fading away, as bluetooth connection has taken over. It's not surprising that Tesla has elected not to bother supporting it. It's bad for those who still desire this use case.

$100/year is actually a pretty decent price.

• Informative
Reactions: rabar10
AAP - or Apple Accessory Protocol is the standard that allows iPods (and iPhones) to be connected via USB, and then allow the vehicle to fully access all the music info (i.e. ID3 info on artist, album, etc.). This support is quietly fading away, as bluetooth connection has taken over. It's not surprising that Tesla has elected not to bother supporting it. It's bad for those who still desire this use case.

Yeah, that protocol is definitely waning. The physical link is still a requirement for CarPlay but otherwise clearly Apple themselves is pushing the direction of Bluetooth (AirPods, etc.). I don't see how CarPlay could integrate well with Tesla's encompassing UI, it'd just be inherently horrible.

Having your device switch from Bluetooth to AAP also tends to be disruptive. Some system handle it better than others but there's still a period of trying to figure out what's going on, and it's sort of mess when you switch up to phone calls. It's simpler to just have the one protocol running the whole time. So it makes a lot of sense for Tesla to just move away from physical link all together.

Or at least initially. They may have AAP support on their software dev timeline? Because of the PITA of handing off between protocols, and the screen UI you'd need to handle multiple sources, they might have it coming but, just well down the priority list.

$100/year is actually a pretty decent price.

Seems decent. Somewhat cheaper than a SiriusXM music+traffic package with different coverage pattern (coverage in above ground parking garages, where satellite is blocked, but no coverage far enough out in the "boonies").

Yeah, that protocol is definitely waning. The physical link is still a requirement for CarPlay but otherwise clearly Apple themselves is pushing the direction of Bluetooth (AirPods, etc.). I don't see how CarPlay could integrate well with Tesla's encompassing UI, it'd just be inherently horrible.

CarPlay can work wirelessly using Wi-Fi, right now it is mostly aftermarket units and a few BMWs.

Personally, not a huge fan of CarPlay - it's nice on a rental as it ports your information but for my personal car I would prefer better integration with the car. The features I would like from CarPlay are the calendar syncing (which the S & X have) and text/email reading/responding. Having the ability to download other streaming options would be nice as well.

Reactions: ℬête Noire
CarPlay can work wirelessly using Wi-Fi, right now it is mostly aftermarket units and a few BMWs.

I did not know that, interesting. But not Bluetooth, right? I assume because of bandwidth issues.

Personally, not a huge fan of CarPlay - it's nice on a rental as it ports your information but for my personal car I would prefer better integration with the car. The features I would like from CarPlay are the calendar syncing (which the S & X have) and text/email reading/responding. Having the ability to download other streaming options would be nice as well.

At Apple's typical glacial pace, they are rolling some of that out. Not sure all that they announced at WWDC this year but I do know 3rd party map options were announced so I expect Google Maps, Waze, and a few others sometime this Fall. Not sure where they're at beyond Pandora (which is what I use) and Spotify right now? I just know 3rd party selection is very limited.

I did not know that, interesting. But not Bluetooth, right? I assume because of bandwidth issues.

At Apple's typical glacial pace, they are rolling some of that out. Not sure all that they announced at WWDC this year but I do know 3rd party map options were announced so I expect Google Maps, Waze, and a few others sometime this Fall. Not sure where they're at beyond Pandora (which is what I use) and Spotify right now? I just know 3rd party selection is very limited.

Wireless CarPlay establishes a connection using Bluetooth but then transfers to Wi-Fi connection - I assume it is due to transmission speed of the two.

When I was saying which features I would like to have, I actually meant on the Tesla, those are available on CarPlay. CarPlay currently restricts third party navigation apps but are fairly open with music/audio. My favorite app is Pocket Casts which is available through CarPlay.

Reactions: ℬête Noire
This policy change with only 1 week warning til cutoff seems fishy... in a good way in that

A. End of 2nd quarter, full federal rebate timing
B. If "Order by June 31st" means configured and 2500 paid

We could be seeing a mass invite for configuration this week, last week of June.

I knew my Spidey senses were tingling... Now to go to the roulette tables