Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla toolbox issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@YieldFarmer I would love it if you would DM me the manual as well. I need to redeploy the firmware and calibrate the radar.

Hi @BoNosAll
Manual will not be of much help to you. You are in luck though, as I just retrofit a radar onto my Tesla Vision car and can provide more info than the manual can.

If this is a new radar that you installed, you will need to run a service redeploy. You can do this in service mode or service mode plus on the screen, or by calling /service-redeploy on the updater service. This will include redeploying to CAN ECUs like the RADC (radar).

If this is a new radar and it has been sitting in the car for hours+, you should pull the 12V and penthouse power for 2 minutes to let the radar reset itself (it will send garbage data and not work if left on and uncalibrated for a while)

After redeploy, you will need to calibrate/align the radar. Ensure wheels are straight and vehicle is on a flat surface. You will need a toolbox token (or root) to run the following ODIN commands:
PROC_RADC_X_PLANT-MODE (Only for new radars / replacements)
PROC_RADC_X_ALIGNMENT-PLATE-REFLECTOR (optional? Good to do if you replaced the radar in case the bracket shifted at all)
PROC_RADC_X_SERVICE-RADAR-ALIGNMENT (Drive the car for 5 minutes around town after you start this; it will complete with PASS or FAIL status depending on if it worked and the values were acceptable to the car)

That should be it! I did another service redeploy afterwards for good measure, but I don't think its necessary.

@YieldFarmer Question on your post above. I know how to get into service mode and redeploy firmware but what is service mode plus and how do I access it? Are there more options available than in service mode?
There is not too much more in Service Mode Plus. See the additional things here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCINV282HFVz1CE2q9JfWRtQ

There are also some slight internal changes that occur in some services but you wouldn't notice unless you were really looking for it.

@BoNosAll Toolbox is now open for everyone in the US. Go sign up and you can use the above method :)

Does this mean those of us with hw 2.5 can diy the upgrade to hw3 by just installing it, and redeploy through Toolbox? I’ve got a used one that’s “fused“. Is this now usable?
No, external toolbox access alone is insufficient for what you are trying to do.

If you had a root method you could do it (software-wise) in 15 minutes.

If you have a used unit there and want to make sure it works or poke around a bit, here's a brief guide to get set up: Guide: Setting up a Bench Unit – Analytic.lol

Reactions: krzakx
@YieldFarmer Question on your post above. I know how to get into service mode and redeploy firmware but what is service mode plus and how do I access it? Are there more options available than in service mode?
Just curious how do you manage to enter service mode without toolbox access?
It was possible with the ice-updater before the 2021.4 update but right now you can only enter service mode while in service geo fence (= near the service station) or with a toolbox (or with root access, of course). There are also traces and rumors of access with service code but I think it's no longer an option in 2021 firmwares.

Just curious how do you manage to enter service mode without toolbox access?
It was possible with the ice-updater before the 2021.4 update but right now you can only enter service mode while in service geo fence (= near the service station) or with a toolbox (or with root access, of course). There are also traces and rumors of access with service code but I think it's no longer an option in 2021 firmwares.
I believe in Europe the “service” access code is NOT geofenced.

We can set a data value to show the geofence on the map in the car btw :)

I have several questions as I went to tesla and have toolbox for a month. My car is a 2017 with mcu1. Because of this, the network port under the mcu is locked. The knowledgebase states that it must be unlocked remotely. I had someone connect to my car remotely from the Ukraine. He had me plug the fahkra cable (network) into the cable that plugs into the autopilot computer. He worked remotely with my laptop using linux to get into the car that way. after about 5 minutes of playing, he had me reconnect under the mcu and he told it to redeploy while in the factory mode. I am assuming it was the service mode. Anyway, my question is, I need to diagnose my ptc heater not connecting with the can. To do this, I plan to use toolbox but when I connect to the cable under the mcu, my car does not show up on toolbox to connect to. I am assuming I need to connect at the autopilot and tell it to unlock. I am not good at linux, but if I am told what to enter and where, I can do it. I am assuming it is in telnet. Is there something I need to do first to actually connect, or is plugging the cable in enough? If there is a video or a page that has the info I need, any help would be great. I am also willing to root the car as it is salvaged and the service center will not do anything for me. They have agreed to do the recall on the emmc though. So, if root stops that, then I need to leave it as is until then. They will not however, do the emmc recall without the ptc heater communicating with the can and the firmware updated to something more recent than 2019.

Thanks for all the info so far YieldFarmer. You have been the most help.

I have several questions as I went to tesla and have toolbox for a month. My car is a 2017 with mcu1. Because of this, the network port under the mcu is locked. The knowledgebase states that it must be unlocked remotely. I had someone connect to my car remotely from the Ukraine. He had me plug the fahkra cable (network) into the cable that plugs into the autopilot computer. He worked remotely with my laptop using linux to get into the car that way. after about 5 minutes of playing, he had me reconnect under the mcu and he told it to redeploy while in the factory mode. I am assuming it was the service mode. Anyway, my question is, I need to diagnose my ptc heater not connecting with the can. To do this, I plan to use toolbox but when I connect to the cable under the mcu, my car does not show up on toolbox to connect to. I am assuming I need to connect at the autopilot and tell it to unlock. I am not good at linux, but if I am told what to enter and where, I can do it. I am assuming it is in telnet. Is there something I need to do first to actually connect, or is plugging the cable in enough? If there is a video or a page that has the info I need, any help would be great. I am also willing to root the car as it is salvaged and the service center will not do anything for me. They have agreed to do the recall on the emmc though. So, if root stops that, then I need to leave it as is until then. They will not however, do the emmc recall without the ptc heater communicating with the can and the firmware updated to something more recent than 2019.

Thanks for all the info so far YieldFarmer. You have been the most help.
I have a Model 3 so i am not as familiar with S/X or MCU1. But I will share the little info I do know in an effort to help you out:

My understanding is that MCU1 does not utilize toolbox 3 (the web-ui based tool). Instead, I believe there is a way to download the "toolbox 2" software. This should be included in the 1-month access purchase you have done. See the "Download Software" menu on the left on toolbox.tesla.com and it may be under there for you.

As for rooting MCU1, @rooter has posted an excellent guide on his website here: https://unofficial-tesla-tech.com/index.php?title=The_Unofficial_Tesla_Tech_wiki
If you root it, I'm sure you could always drop seceth (firewall rules preventing your access from the normal port).

Given you have a salvage and Tesla doesn't provide much support, I'd recommend rooting it. You then should also be able to perform the diagnostic operations without Toolbox.

Good luck!

The unofficial tesla tech site has been down for quite awhile. I have tried to get there a few times with no success.

I am not sure how to drop seceth. Sounds like a dance move. LOL.

Tesla makes the website fairly lame for getting toolbox. I have tried to find the download for toolbox 2 and it does not seem to be available. I only have the gui version toolbox 3 that is web based. I will keep searching to see if I can find a way to get it.

Thanks for the insight and help.

This is the page I get for the download software. It is the stable release of the battery software. Nothing lets me download toolbox2.
toolbox page.jpg

I've upgraded the OS and security, but Ziply Fiber screwed me on internet access. I'm still tethering to phone for laptop but LAN is inaccesible. The wiki should be back up this weekend hopefully, as I get time.

I'm about to leave this forum, but the wiki will remain up for a good while.

I've upgraded the OS and security, but Ziply Fiber screwed me on internet access. I'm still tethering to phone for laptop but LAN is inaccesible. The wiki should be back up this weekend hopefully, as I get time.

I'm about to leave this forum, but the wiki will remain up for a good while.

If desired, I can help you host this on IPFS.

Sad to see you go @rooter . Thanks for all the resources. Hope to see you around from time to time.