Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes @StealthP3D, along those lines.

I was thinking of it from the perspective that - it gives their customers; & GS themselves the "social license" to buy up to $780, (perhaps they have a bunch of derivatives positioned around this # ?) - but not too far beyond that #.

There are clients of theirs that rely heavily on what the talking heads at GS say - so that will help them exert whatever influence they can directly or indirectly to keep the SP around this $780 range.

Just some musings...time will tell.
Still sticking to my hypothesis....

Just hit me on why GS PT is $780...that would equate to $3900 pre split. ARK had a PT of $4k pre split for the longest time and everyone laughed at them. So my thinking is the geniuses over at GS got together and said "Holy Sh** everyone, ARK's been right all along...we can't put out a PT that's higher than their initial PT pre-split that we all laughed at for years. Let's put it just below their initial PT so we don't look like bigger clowns than we already are" :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Lemme guess..You mean it this time! :)
Norway In November: EV Market Share At 80%, Fossils Disappearing

"Electric vehicle pioneer Norway saw plugin vehicle market share standing at 80% in November 2020, up from 60% in November 2019. Old school non-hybrid fossil vehicles saw their share decline to just 10.5% (from 27.1% a year ago). The overall auto market volume was up 25% year-on-year."​

November-2020-Norway-Passenger-Auto-Registrations-tidy.png

Cheers!

This graph will be the norm everywhere in the World by 2030. Some places maybe 2035

Tesla Reportedly Skipped Battery Testing For LFP-Powered Model 3 Made In China

“When Benchmark Mineral Intelligence said Tesla would use LFP batteries on the Model 3 made at Giga Shanghai, that seemed like great news. LFP is cheaper and more resistant than lithium-ion cells despite the lower energy density. When the car was presented, it offered 468 km of range under the NEDC cycle – more than it had with Li-ion cells. The issue is that this range drops dramatically in cold weather, according to Sina Finance.”

Is this a problem? :-/

soufflé under a sledgehammer...

That's not the first time when Elon referenced a baked dish in his email to employees. Here's the email he sent to his employees in the first week of Sep 2016.

The simple reality of it is that we will be in a far better position to convince potential investors to bet on us if the headline is not ‘Tesla Loses Money Again,’ but rather ‘Tesla Defies All Expectations and Achieves Profitability. That would be amazing!

I thought it was important to write you a note directly to let you know how critical this quarter is. The third quarter will be our last chance to show investors that Tesla can be at least slightly positive cash flow and profitable before the Model 3 reaches full production.

We will need to raise additional cash in Q4 to complete the Model 3 vehicle and the Gigafactory.

It would be awesome to throw a pie in the face of all naysayers on Wall Street who keep insisting that Tesla will always be a money loser!

Would Tesla let LG or Panasonic do 4680's? Thought they would keep that in house. I guess they can't ramp up fast enough to meet demand for years so they'll have to get help somewhere.

Yes. They said it on battery day that they would still need partners. Also, 4680 is just a form factor that was made possible by tabless, so any partner (assuming Tesla allows them) can help produce them. DBE might be strictly in-house, due to the lower production costs. Without DBE, the cost to produce 4680 cells is probably only slightly better than the 2170's, so there's no harm in letting LG build them for other customers as well.

CNBS just had the NYU professor Aswath Damodaran bashing the value of Tesla. Does anybody know why he if considered the "dean of valuation"? Has anybody made money from his predictions? Does anybody have any source showing his track record? My limited skill of Google has found nothing that show his value except that he is highly respected and talks a good game. Why this respect? From writing a few finance books?

Saying they only turned a profit because of credit sales is so out of context it’s meaningless. Like saying the only reason my football team won is because they scored more points than the other team.

Tesla should use a different name to that line on the balance sheet, instead of calling it "regulatory credit sales", they should call it "laggard competitor contribution". That would drive the point home much better and would make it much harder for analysts to criticize.

Tesla Reportedly Skipped Battery Testing For LFP-Powered Model 3 Made In China

“When Benchmark Mineral Intelligence said Tesla would use LFP batteries on the Model 3 made at Giga Shanghai, that seemed like great news. LFP is cheaper and more resistant than lithium-ion cells despite the lower energy density. When the car was presented, it offered 468 km of range under the NEDC cycle – more than it had with Li-ion cells. The issue is that this range drops dramatically in cold weather, according to Sina Finance.”

Is this a problem? :-/

Gustavo is great at finding a negative...

LFP is happy to be charged to 100%, so for normal daily use the winter, just charge to a higher SOC.

All battery types lose some range in winter, and winter road trips are not common.

EDIT: This is prismatic LFP, so probably not ideal thermal management, but CATL has a lot experience with these batteries. Maybe this battery type ideally needs a heat pump, we don't know how the complaining customers used the cars, but cabin heating was probably extensively used. It isn't hard to find a few unhappy customers, and Gustavo excels in that area. 4680 LFP should have better thermal management.

Last edited:
CNBS just had the NYU professor Aswath Damodaran bashing the value of Tesla. Does anybody know why he if considered the "dean of valuation"? Has anybody made money from his predictions? Does anybody have any source showing his track record? My limited skill of Google has found nothing that show his value except that he is highly respected and talks a good game. Why this respect? From writing a few finance books?

His book Damodaran on Valuation is considered one of the standard texts of valuation. He actually bought some TSLA at a little under $200 pre-split and made 3x or 4x his money before selling.

He has several videos on Tesla. For instance, this one from February. Very helpful in thinking about Tesla's valuation, but I would say that he has been unrealistically conservative at times in the past. Much like your typical Wall Street analyst in that respect.

For what it's worth, using my assumptions in his model, it shows Tesla at more or less fair value.

Last edited: