TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the 2019-2020 Investors' Roundtable

Discussion in 'TSLA Investor Discussions' started by AudubonB, Dec 28, 2018.

1. MarcusMaximus

MarcusMaximus Active Member

Microsoft also used private API’s built into windows in IE, which 3rd party browsers couldn’t use, rendering them(pun intended) much slower. This analogy really doesn’t work in this direction. It’s actually much closer to the opposite direction, as the common thread with the Microsoft story is that MS crushed Netscape through massive vertical integration.

2. Navin

Navin Active Member

OT

I’d like to pay someone to design an iPhone app for me. It’s going to be called Jonas Speaks! It’s going to be a fun and easy to use selection of some of the most amazing things he has said on TV, on earnings calls and during special alert sessions like he had yesterday “aka Jonas bottom day”. Willing to pay real dough for this. PM if you are interested and I’ll donate proceeds from the app to his parents somehow.

• Funny x 1
    • Love x 1
  3. Beaver

Beaver Member

Somewhat OT but I typically for years have gone to Yahoo for finance news (old habit) but the constant TSLA hate is irritating. Where should I go for balanced financial news covering all companies? I do want negative when TSLA messes up but the FUD makes me want to stop giving Yahoo clicks. TIA.

• Like x 4
  4. EVNow

EVNow Well-Known Member

If only I had bought some puts instead of calls everytime the stock was supposed to pop, I could've retired by now.

• Funny x 8
    • Like x 2
  5. mblakele

mblakele beep! beep!

Another way to look at it is that Microsoft killed Netscape (and others) by denying them revenue. Netscape had customers who licensed their software. Microsoft targeted those customers and turned them around, cutting off Netscape’s revenue.

So cutting off tax credits and other subsidies is a sound move against Tesla. Anything to reduce demand. FUD could have an effect too, but it’s hard to say from the outside. I think that if Tesla started advertising, we could infer that they’re seeing demand problems. Until then I’m not too concerned.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  6. EVNow

EVNow Well-Known Member

I think it is kind of dependence thing. All these applications (netscape, wordstar, lotus 123) needed windows to work on. They couldn't work stand alone.

Another example of that kind is TiVo. It got rushed because cable/sat operators just made similar equipment they started lending out for small monthly fees but TiVo couldn't operate without them. So customers had to have cable/sat AND buy TiVO. Similarly you had to buy Windows (PC) AND buy Netscape browser. They were replacement products. That is why when the phone OS came on, Microsoft couldn't do much about them (apart from getting very late into the game because of existing legacy Windows Phone).

With Tesla it is totally independent. It is a replacement product - not something that is an add-on.

7. Skryll

Skryll Member

I had fun selling short term calls into the hiccups on the way down but that peanuts compared to the calls that expired January 2019 that I shouldn’t have hoped to rebound.

Should have stayed more clear of margin, too. But what do you know.

8. Artful Dodger

Artful Dodger "Ducimus, lit"

So, Elon's Mom? :p

Maye Musk on Twitter

• Funny x 2
  9. SPadival

SPadival Active Member

You really need to read the Cleantechnica interview.

Jerome — The Man, The Myth, The Tesla Super-Engineer — #CleanTechnica Interview | CleanTechnica

BTW, @ZachShahan , how come no audio podcast version of this interview? Great work on the other podcasts and the youtube videos

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  10. Remus

Remus Active Member

This is like a crack on a river bank
    When more people realize the TCO benefits of Tesla

• Like x 3
  11. CalX

CalX Member

I would give you 5 hearts if I could. You should post it on reddit.

• Like x 2
    • Love x 2
  12. wipster

wipster Gold Member

They did, they just got -3...

• Funny x 7
    • Like x 1
  13. CalX

CalX Member

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  14. DaveT

DaveT Searcher of green pastures

#58014 DaveT, May 23, 2019
    Last edited: May 23, 2019
    When I talked with him he didn’t seem against the idea. He said he was busy enough. He did say though dealing with corporate/business customers for the Semi is refreshing because it’s all about numbers and spreadsheets for them.

• Informative x 10
    • Love x 2
    • Like x 1
  15. DaveT

DaveT Searcher of green pastures

• Like x 1
  16. Mokuzai

Mokuzai Member

Thanks! Ahh reddit...the vast expanse. I’ll give it a shot.

US Plugin EV Sales 2012 to Present : Tesla

And thanks to those promoting the tweet! I’ve never seen this much activity on my phone. :eek:

• Like x 5
    • Love x 3
    • Helpful x 1
    • Funny x 1
  17. NicoV

NicoV Supporting Member

That’s the definition of exponential growth.

• Love x 6
    • Like x 4
  18. Fact Checking

Fact Checking Well-Known Member

/r/Tesla is a small sub with ~14k subscribers.

/r/teslamotors is the primary sub-Reddit for Tesla news, with 460k subscribers - I'd suggesting posting it there too.

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  19. Electroman

Electroman Well-Known Member

One of them is a haters hell hole. Don't remember which one..

20. Electroman

Electroman Well-Known Member

oh my.. this is so COOLL..

• Like x 3
    • Love x 1