Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks! Ahh reddit...the vast expanse. I’ll give it a shot.

US Plugin EV Sales 2012 to Present : Tesla

And thanks to those promoting the tweet! I’ve never seen this much activity on my phone. :eek:

/r/Tesla is a small sub with ~14k subscribers.

/r/teslamotors is the primary sub-Reddit for Tesla news, with 460k subscribers - I'd suggesting posting it there too.

When I talked with him he didn’t seem against the idea. He said he was busy enough. He did say though dealing with corporate/business customers for the Semi is refreshing because it’s all about numbers and spreadsheets for them.

That was my guess: Jerome is an engineer at heart, and top people like Jerome can basically get any job in the industry, and beyond a certain net worth many will pick their dream job over maximizing income/power/responsibility/impact.

If Elon is smart he allowed Jerome to shape his own responsibilities within Tesla, and I'd be surprised if being involved in sales/service management too much was an automotive engineer's top choice: it's too multi-threaded, to chaotic, too interpersonal. ;)

So let Elon be Elon and let Jerome be Jerome. :D

Anyone heard any detail on exactly which part of the factory is being worked on?
I would guess this is because they have committed to Fremont for Model Y production.
Would like to know if this work involves combining S and X body lines.
It seems unlikely any changes are being made to the Model 3 line given it sounds like they are operating at max production rates.
The upgrade could just be warehouse space, empty space and new external construction in preparation for Model Y.

Agreed, except the last part: it seems unlikely to me that they'd decide to stop ALL factory tours if just 'empty space' and 'warehouses' were upgraded, right? I.e. the upgrades could be extensive and must be affecting significant parts of the old factory tours. ;)

Note that the decision to extend Fremont for the Model Y likely came with a decision to not extend Gigafactory 1 just yet - and factory space is a limiting factor of 'easy expansion' of the Panasonic side at Gigafactory 1. Which likely triggered complaints from Panasonic and those leaks to Japanese media ...

The one thing Panasonic cannot do at Gigafactory 1 is to expand it against Tesla's wishes. They own their own factory lines and lease the space, but they cannot create new space. Hence the unhappiness about Elon's decision to force Panasonic to improve GF1 efficiency (i.e. upgrade the existing cell production lines instead of installing new lines).

The other motivations to build the Model Y at Fremont:
  • It's probably lower capex than building at Gigafactory 1 which requires new construction from grounds up.
  • It's probably faster to get initial Model Y production going, as much can be shared with Model 3 and S/X production.
  • The labor market is much larger at Fremont while really strained in Nevada.
  • I think the original plan was to share Model 3 and Model Y production to be able to load-balance demand/supply like they do with the Model S/X. By doing this in Fremont it's the prototype factory again - which then gets replicated in Shanghai and the other GF factories.
So I think it's overall a good call. There's free space at Fremont.

Huh... I just noticed this: when looking through inventory, on the Model X side only Model X Long Range is shown as having Free Supercharging. The 75D's and the one Ludicrous Performance model don't have it listed. Site bug or actual policy? I checked the S side of things, and they all seem to have free supercharging, regardless of spec.

• Informative
Reactions: sundaymorning
Agreed, except the last part: it seems unlikely to me that they'd decide to stop ALL factory tours if just 'empty space' and 'warehouses' were upgraded, right? I.e. the upgrades could be extensive and must be affecting significant parts of the old factory tours. ;)

Note that the decision to extend Fremont for the Model Y likely came with a decision to not extend Gigafactory 1 just yet - and factory space is a limiting factor of 'easy expansion' of the Panasonic side at Gigafactory 1. Which likely triggered complaints from Panasonic and those leaks to Japanese media ...

The one thing Panasonic cannot do at Gigafactory 1 is to expand it against Tesla's wishes. They own their own factory lines and lease the space, but they cannot create new space. Hence the unhappiness about Elon's decision to force Panasonic to improve GF1 efficiency (i.e. upgrade the existing cell production lines instead of installing new lines).

The other motivations to build the Model Y at Fremont:
  • It's probably lower capex than building at Gigafactory 1 which requires new construction from grounds up.
  • It's probably faster to get initial Model Y production going, as much can be shared with Model 3 and S/X production.
  • The labor market is much larger at Fremont while really strained in Nevada.
  • I think the original plan was to share Model 3 and Model Y production to be able to load-balance demand/supply like they do with the Model S/X. By doing this in Fremont it's the prototype factory again - which then gets replicated in Shanghai and the other GF factories.
So I think it's overall a good call. There's free space at Fremont.
I'd say it also makes more sense to have S/X and 3/Y at Fremont and lower volume "special" product lines like Semi and Roadster at Giga. If the cars share parts, make them at the same place. Now when the Truck comes, production location may depend on the platform as well. If it is based on the Semi like the early sketches, Giga makes sense.

One thing that crossed my mind reading your post was that if S/X will truly get a big cosmetic upgrade, this might indeed be the right time to build a brand new production line for them in the new extended space. They could leverage Model 3 learnings and, depending on how deep these changes go, how much money they are willing to spend, try and increase the % of common parts between S/X and make the body more ready for automated assembly.

Then they would build the new Y line in place of the current S/X line.

I think the original plan was to share Model 3 and Model Y production to be able to load-balance demand/supply like they do with the Model S/X. By doing this in Fremont it's the prototype factory again - which then gets replicated in Shanghai and the other GF factories.
Long ago, before Q1, when I suggested they should share 3/Y for mix balancing it was a very unpopular idea. Q1 has changed a lot of minds. Happy to see Tesla do this. ESP. when they have a GF in EU, they won’t need all that capacity of two separate 3 and Y factories.

If they had more money they could be building GF4 and semi & pickup factories now.

Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
I'm not sure if I'm missing some info. Are you referencing some specific comms or just an idea?

When we talked to Jerome in March, he joked that Elon told him to get a new production line up in 14 days, and since it took them 15 days, they failed. He was joking of course, but he didn't say this in an arrogant way at all — just a "doing my job" kind of way.

We also talked to top engineers on the production lines who walk through things with Elon on a weekly basis. No hint that he stepped back on his oversight of production.
I was just replying to @Remus theory around why Elon is so axed on AP at the moment. It's amusing to think of any conversation where someone else is telling Elon what to do and he would accept it. Kind of like Tywin sending Joffrey to bed.

Reactions: ZachShahan
Intriguing. I wonder what it has beyond vision and ultrasonics to avoid hitting those walls at 127mph.

This is just a quick guess, but I think a high speed aerodynamic object passing through a smooth walled tunnel will passively keep distance from the walls: if it gets closer to any of the sides of the tunnel the pressure differential from the Bernoulli principle will pull it back center. I.e. a bit like a hovercraft (just a different principle).

I.e. it has physics on its side. Literally. :D

The most amazing property: the faster the object is, the stronger the stabilization force (!). It might even be impossible to hit the walls at high speed, unless the chassis (I almost wrote 'air frame' ;)) literally disintegrates.

This would be absolutely amazing if true: wondering what @neroden thinks about this. I believe this is a big argument in favor of the safety of tunnels.

Last edited:
It appears that Jerome is in charge of production, including Fremont, Reno/Sparks, and Shanghai. Elon has stepped back significantly in this regard and now views Jerome as kind of a COO since Elon doesn't need to worry about production. However, Jerome's not in charge of sales and service which apparently report directly to Elon.

Oh how I enjoy hearing this. Now we just need solid executives to take over AP and Sales. Let Elon focus on the longer term initiatives.

A very financially conservative family in my church just pulled the trigger on a used S. They will be the fourth Tesla at our church but they are the most financially conservative. Replacing a 16 year old Honda Odyssey minivan with over 200k miles. Tesla is slowly, slowly moving more mainstream here in N. GA.

I think we will slowly but surely continue to see Tesla move more mainstream, especially when the Y comes out.
Funny, I was thinking earlier today that once you start seeing Tesla in the parking lots of southern churches then it will have begun. No disrespect intended, but that demographic tends to be overly conservative, loyal/willing to evangelize a product, and very trusting of others in that social group. They are not typically your early adopters so your single data point is hopefully a sign that Tesla is moving slowly into the main stream. If true, demand should slowly start to rise organically.

Does CR offer any actual video proof of cars getting cut off?

Here is a rebuttal from someone who actually USES autopilot often and KNOWS how to change AP settings for different behavior (like not using mad max mode if you don’t want to pass on the right).

Except Mad Max mode just changes aggressiveness overall. I use average and it still occasionally makes a speed based lane change to the right instead of left. I've seen more than one person make this claim that mad max is the only time it happens, but it's not.

Which I don't mind at all. There's a difference between passing on the right (or left!) in a dangerous fashion, and simply changing lanes and then proceeding to match that lane's speed. If someone is doing 50 in a 60 and both lanes on either side are doing 60, and there's a gap to your right, I don't see the "no passing on the right" law being successfully enforced if you get into that opening on the right and move with the flow of traffic.

Anyone who harps on a reasonable move to the right (and staying there) because it's a faster lane is being petty and just looking for excuses to criticize some one / thing's driving behavior. If you move to the right, accelerate well above everyone else's speed, just to move back left in front of the car you were behind, you're an asshole, regardless of whatever the law says.