Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also no point to buy a current S/X either. People mistakenly believe that they're obsolete, outclassed, can't do sustained performance, etc.

I'm not happy with Tesla giving up its production-car-halo under the excuse that some "not available for a year prototype" is great. Show people what's good about the cars they can actually buy so that they have an actual excuse to buy them.

When words like, "new chassis" and, "prototype" start to get thrown around that tells the discerning buyer to wait for the next gen. Notice I stated "discerning" buyer.

Reactions: KarenRei
That already happened in May. The powertrain is called Raven. Most people appear not to have noticed. :Þ
I thought it still had 2 motors? If not then yes, perfect example. I only recall reading about the efficiency improvements etc. But in particular to my post I was refereeing to the new upgraded version that will have a "Plaid" mode.

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Laguna Seca Says Tesla's Model S Record Lap Isn't Official

“We were not officiating while the Tesla was testing on the track," the track official told CNBC. "Official records only happen during sanctioned events where a sanctioning body is officiating.”

So technically speaking, Tesla hasn't officially broke the record for four-door production cars.

Laguna Seca Official: Tesla's Model S Record Lap Isn't Official

I don't know if these car companies really care about the sanctioning rules and just want the pub or there is a massive ineptitude or ignorance of how things work.

Laguna Seca Says Tesla's Model S Record Lap Isn't Official

“We were not officiating while the Tesla was testing on the track," the track official told CNBC. "Official records only happen during sanctioned events where a sanctioning body is officiating.”

So technically speaking, Tesla hasn't officially broke the record for four-door production cars.

Laguna Seca Official: Tesla's Model S Record Lap Isn't Official

I don't know if these car companies really care about the sanctioning rules and just want the pub or there is a massive ineptitude or ignorance of how things work.

Too bad Tesla couldn’t have just included the word “unofficially” when making the statement. Nothing like giving the haters more ammo.

I thought it still had 2 motors? If not then yes, perfect example. I only recall reading about the efficiency improvements etc. But in particular to my post I was refereeing to the new upgraded version that will have a "Plaid" mode.

Linguistic ambiguity. You wrote "3 motors", and I interpreted it as "motors from the Model 3", rather than "a total of three motors". ;)

Progress and updates are expected, and will always osborne current products, ex laptops, phones, etc. The only thing that didn't suffer from osborne effect is the Osborne computer, and so they fell of the map. (and they were hard to repair)
Yes, and if you're worried about a plaid S osborning current S then just think about what that plaid S will do to the sales of other fast sedans.

I really don't think there will be 3 different gear ratios. For several reasons (torque vectoring among them) it makes sense for two of the motors to be independently driving each rear wheel. With that setup you really, really don't want different gear ratios. The front motor can have a different gear ratio, but the rear motors will have a common gear ratio. It's OK because you now have doubled the (lower) output power at the high RPMS because you have two motors. Despite what loger keeps saying, the SRPM motors still have back EMF and it still reduces the current (and thus power) at higher RPMS. However, with 3 motors, the battery is the limiting factor for the total peak power that can be delivered. At higher RPM's they don't have the voltage to drive motor current to one motor, but you can drive both motors with whatever they can take. So they are actually forced to broaden the (total wheel) power curve because they don't have sufficient battery current (in a 100kWh battery) to drive all three motors simultaneously at the motor's native peak power output point. So the software that shares this power among the motors will cause the total power curve to be very flat across a long range of speeds, including the high speeds of Nürburgring.
Any chance of dumbing this down a little for the more EE illiterate?

Too bad Tesla couldn’t have just included the word “unofficially” when making the statement. Nothing like giving the haters more ammo.
Haters are good at finding excuses to hate.
The tycan Nurburgring time was unofficial too. I didn't see CNBC pointing that out.

Tesla is treated in a different way. It's right to push the company to do better, but expecting them to be perfect so they will not get attacked... they will never be perfect. Haters will always find excuses.

Haters are good at finding excuses to hate.
The tycan Nurburgring time was unofficial too. I didn't see CNBC pointing that out.

Tesla is treated in a different way. It's right to push the company to do better, but expecting them to be perfect so they will not get attacked... they will never be perfect. Haters will always find excuses.

The Taycan was heavily modified as well including an inside cage but still Porsche did say today if Tesla would not use a production care it would be against the "rules"

The plaid Model S is since today for 3 weeks at the Nürburgring with an experienced driver who knows that track very well. Car is called Model S P100+

They have improved aerodynamics, special wheels, over roll bar and likely tuned it for better performance.

My guess: they came to win.
Tesla-Attacke auf den Porsche Taycan: Stärkeres Model S übt für den Ring-Rekord

Consolidation=MM trying to keep SP in sight of 'Max Pain'. (Yes, I do know the trading week ends tomorrow, not today;))

Will take some effort. OK it's up from $225 and $227.50, but they need to push it down around 3% before close tomorrow

upload_2019-9-12_18-35-40.png