Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That preformed paletized base setup doesn't mean they are temporary. Nurburgring is similar and reportedly permanent.

Yeah, both only require underground feeds Being prewired from cabinet to pedestal saves time at install. Also might make shipping easier with less waste.

Twitter

View attachment 465585 View attachment 465586

Edit: Split out two different points, one disagree and one agree.

Well, there's a bit of a wiggle room and ambiguity there: the Supercharger location might be permanent, and the installation might still be temporary, to be switched over to a permanent one without much disruption. The spirit of the question Tesla's PR team replied to was whether it's a permanent Supercharger location - which it apparently is.

Is it brush blowing into the lines that causes the problem? I had thought that the problem was downed lines, wherein the fact that our lines don't go down would be highly relevant (e.g.: make more durable power lines, since it clearly can be done). If the problem, contrarily, is brush blowing into the lines (that high up?), then our experience is not relevant.
)

It can be both but wind knocking over trees/branches onto lines and or poles pulling them down is the probably the most common cause (in regards to power lines). But there’s a lot of other reasons fires start, just this week the cause was guns, a trash truck on fire dumping its load and a vehicle fire into the veg.

Source: firefighter in the state of California

Would assume Elon is on his way to China. Maybe watching movies for the long plane ride. Any way to confirm that??

Don’t know if its Elon but theres a G650 on the way back from Shanghai.
8D6EB5DE-887F-4578-9ECC-4A4A32AB2FED.jpeg

A positive highlight on the Supercharger network as compared with other options from Forbes:

In The U.S., Electric Vehicle Charging Prospects Are Bleak Out There (For The Rest Of Us Who Don’t Drive A Tesla Model 3)

I also read that article and was generally pleased.

I was a little annoyed at the narrative of problems with every day shopping trips around LA. Only very later, once that neural path has been laid down, does the author admit that “of course if you have home charging that is not an issue at all”, and he doesn’t go on to say “if so you only need public charging for road trips”. Instead the narrative immediately moves to “lots of folks don’t have home charging, some because they live in apartments”.

I think it is a valid point that for wide EV adoption in urban areas, we need more home charging in apartments and condos.

A better title for the content might be “EV Charging Prospects for Apartment Dwellers are Bleak Out There, Unless You Drive a Tesla”. ;)

Clever idea, alternating the direction of the flow through the battery pack with a valve, so that the warm (outlet) side of the coolant flow (e.g. where the cells are hottest) becomes the cool (inlet) side, and vice versa. And even if the valve "breaks" and gets stuck in one direction, your worst case scenario is... the current scenario.

Neat to see that they're looking to eliminate bandoliers / physical cooling channels entirely and going with pure free flow between cells. Although they also describe surrounding the cells with a phase-change material to hold the cells at a constant 30°C (takes energy to melt and melts at 30°C, so the temperature can't rise until it's fully melted). I'm not sure, after reading the patent, how the two concepts are supposed to work together.

I believe the phase change material is intended as a heat buffer, and it would not circulate. The coolant would be additional channels either inside the cell volume or inside the phase-change filled battery module. The advantage is that the cooling system wouldn't have to be able to immediately react to high thermal load, but would have time to ramp up - while all cells are still kept near the optimal 30°C temperature due to the phase-change thermal buffer material.

I believe the gist of the new cell module system outlined in this patent application is (as you said):
  • Cells put in an upright position, connected to a single base plates on both the anode and collector sides.
  • Cells immersed in coolant, instead the current copper channels that are snaking between the cells:
  • Tesla-3-Battery-1-individual-cells-1.jpg

• In the above picture, the adhesive between the cells is replaced by free space and filled with coolant.
  • Note that the current 100 kW pack design is basically a plastic enclosure for the cells:
  • 687bf00f26c9bca31e7c63c87cad56ce.jpg

• This does not offer much structural integrity AFAICS, the cells do not appear to be mechanically connected to any load bearing elements - I believe. (Note: speculation only, this could be wrong.)
  • With the new design, if I'm reading the patent correctly, the cell anode/cathode surfaces are soldered to the base plates. This could have serious load bearing properties (at the risk of exposing the soldered connections to fatigue).
  • Another important element of the patent is that the 'plates' might be sandwich structure printed circuit boards. The advantage is that the connection and grouping (topology) of the cell groups can be changed later on by changing the interconnection layout of the printed circuit - without having to perform any mechanical change on the assembly side. PCBs are also excellent structural elements.
  • The PCBs might also have active circuit elements embedded already: sensors and other fine-grained battery management system components.
  • The rest of the patent is about how to structure the plates so that different modules can be combined. This again adds assembly flexibility, as these modules can be combined via overhanging conducting elements that offer both structural and electrical connections.
It's a pretty clever design all around, and shows what pack design they are be working on for the next generation of vehicles.

Last edited:
Didn’t see this one here yet:
Tesla patent paves way for compact battery systems that are easier to produce
AGGREGATED BATTERY SYSTEM - Tesla, Inc.

My highlights in bold:

US20190312251A1.pdf

I recommend reading the entire patent. It seems pretty extensive and shows the value of vertical integration and might be tricky for competitors to copy.

The two most interesting things I read were:
- Phase change material that turns from solid to liquid to keep cells at optimal temp. PCM also turns to gas in case of thermal runaway and gas is expelled through dedicated vents away from other cells.

- Vague wording leaves the possibility of electrolyte not being confined inside individual cells. Possibly shared electrolyte throughout the module like a wet cell car battery. Patent only indicates the need to have a barrier between the electrolyte and the Dielectric cooling fluid. Would make assembly easier having to fill up the module with electrolyte instead of each cell.

Other stuff seems to be small tricks to simplify manufacturing and minimize parts by having parts perform multiple functions, (structural, electrical, cooling, assembly alignment).

The two most interesting things I read were:
- Phase change material that turns from solid to liquid to keep cells at optimal temp. PCM also turns to gas in case of thermal runaway and gas is expelled through dedicated vents away from other cells.

- Vague wording leaves the possibility of electrolyte not being confined inside individual cells. Possibly shared electrolyte throughout the module like a wet cell car battery. Patent only indicates the need to have a barrier between the electrolyte and the Dielectric cooling fluid. Would make assembly easier having to fill up the module with electrolyte instead of each cell.

Other stuff seems to be small tricks to simplify manufacturing and minimize parts by having parts perform multiple functions, (structural, electrical, cooling, assembly alignment).

Yeah, I found those electrolyte comments curious. I almost wonder if they're thinking about the possibility of replaceable electrolyte. Although that wouldn't remove degradation products from the cells. Drainable electrolytes would at least simplify recycling. You could also render a compromised pack inert by draining the electrolyte.

BTW, phase change materials have long been used for temperature regulation. That's how the Soviet Venera probes to Venus's surface maintained a constant interior temperature without an active cooling system.

Yeah, I found those electrolyte comments curious. I almost wonder if they're thinking about the possibility of replaceable electrolyte. Although that wouldn't remove degradation products from the cells. Drainable electrolytes would at least simplify recycling. You could also render a compromised pack inert by draining the electrolyte.

Maybe the advantage of having free electrolyte is elimination of thermal runaway? The hot electrolyte would just circulate out of the hot cell via convection. Or maybe its to take advantage of the Hibar filling system. After reading the patent and watching this video, feeling bullish AF for battery investor day