Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That blog post sure feels like a flex by S&P - look at that stock tumble after we snubbed ‘em! We’re so relevant and powerful!

You can literally feel the smugness seep through whatever device you're using to read that blog post. Not just the article, but the quotes from individuals. Part of me wants Tesla to make make an announcement that they don't want to be included.

Not the logical side of me, the disgusted side

UPDATE: Tesla shares plummet after stock left out of S&P 500 rebalancing

"I think it was a surprise and, judging from Tesla's premarket share price this morning, the market seems to agree," Craig Erlam, a senior market analyst with OANDA, said Sept. 8, the first day of trading since the announcement.

Erlam said the snub will not be "particularly damaging" for Tesla, since their position outside the index is likely to be short-lived.

"Their inclusion into the index in the not-too-distant future looks inevitable. It just needs to prove that this is more than a purple patch and its stock price and performance is sustainable," Erlam said.

???

I hope the stock’s at 600 when they get included.

Erlam is just an analyst. The interesting quote there is from Chris Bennett who works for the S&P:

"(The decision was) a good reminder that the committee has the final say on any changes to the S&P 500, and that they retain discretion on which stocks best represent the broad universe of U.S. listed companies."

Sure sounds like saber rattling to me. Oil industry conspiracies come to mind.

Which of their portfolio includes Tesla.
Can we buy Ark ETF on our trading account like any other ETF?
The only ETFs that DON’T include TSLA are ARKG and ARKF.

You can buy them like any stock.

edit: I believe the indexed ETFs (PRNT, IZRL) also do not contain TSLA.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: traxila
You can literally feel the smugness seep through whatever device you're using to read that blog post. Not just the article, but the quotes from individuals. Part of me wants Tesla to make make an announcement that they don't want to be included.

Not the logical side of me, the disgusted side

“For it has been foretold the enemies shall be numerous and hail from all tribes, embodiments of hubris, greed, and envy. All shall be flattened by the Gigapress of irrelevance.” TMC 420:69

Erlam is just an analyst. The interesting quote there is from Chris Bennett who works for the S&P:

"(The decision was) a good reminder that the committee has the final say on any changes to the S&P 500, and that they retain discretion on which stocks best represent the broad universe of U.S. listed companies."

Sure sounds like saber rattling to me. Oil industry conspiracies come to mind.

That's the quote I was particularly disgusted with. Reeks of a lot of a lot of things

You sure there was no SPoon today?? :) :)

upload_2020-9-9_16-0-10.png

Nice to see the uptick today! I have a whopping 36 shares but I still read this thread every single day. I'm learning! TSLA is the first individual stock I've ever bought, but I firmly believe that this company has amazing long-term growth potential (on top of the demonstrated growth to-date). It still shocks me when friends of mine don't see the patterns I see, such as pent-up demand, the effect new GFs will have on quality improvements, the effect of SpaceX and that success on Tesla, the amazing advantage of the Supercharger network, evolving Battery Tech (and Battery Day coming on the 22nd), how much young people love these cars (with the most buying years ahead), etc.

The Lucid Air is gonna be 170k, initially. So much for Tesla's competition right?

Nice to see the uptick today! I have a whopping 36 shares but I still read this thread every single day. I'm learning! TSLA is the first individual stock I've ever bought, but I firmly believe that this company has amazing long-term growth potential (on top of the demonstrated growth to-date). It still shocks me when friends of mine don't see the patterns I see, such as pent-up demand, the effect new GFs will have on quality improvements, the effect of SpaceX and that success on Tesla, the amazing advantage of the Supercharger network, evolving Battery Tech (and Battery Day coming on the 22nd), how much young people love these cars (with the most buying years ahead), etc.

The Lucid Air is gonna be 170k, initially. So much for Tesla's competition right?
I don't think they set out to be Tesla's competition...they are more of a niche car maker, like a bugatti. Congrats on your 36 shares....just accumulate more as you go along...this is a marathon not a race.

I’m shocked my friends don’t see it either. What I hear the most from them is that they think competition is coming and they like the other car companies better. Also if you look at Tesla as only a car company it’s market cap does look overvalued. The combination of competition coming and high market cap makes the stock price look like a bubble.

Well, the base LA is around $80K, so that seems to be aimed at MS market to some degree. But, yes, they appear to be targeting the Taycan crowd as much or more than Tesla.

Reactions: Spacep0d

Not only is there no competition currently, but it is virtually impossible for there ever to be without implementing Tesla’s degree of vertical integration (which will soon extend from raw material to electric vehicle, from the sun to the software). Because even if someone could put together a vehicle that competes from an engineering standpoint, they won’t be able to sell it in meaningful numbers because it will cost so much more than a comparable Tesla. So “competition” is really nothing more than engineering bragging rights around range or 0-60, far from being actual competition in the marketplace.

Everyone else is building widgets, and struggling to do so. Tesla’s successfully building a complete vision of the future of energy. The entire concept of “competition” is so irrelevant it’s laughable.