Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's some big ballz there matey! I was too worried it would drop further and get me deeper in the red. Good on you!
It was much less risky than when I bought shares at $422 the day before. I was actually expecting the price to stay down there. I was trying to do a second trade in my other account, but the price when up. I should have chased it up, but waited for it to come back down. Today I was disappointed to see prices go high again.

That will be available in the 10Q. (either directly or indirectly.)

Yes. Here is the confirmation.

Upon execution of the equity distribution agreement, the issuer will file the prospectus supplement setting forth the terms of the offering and will file the agreement and any press release announcing the at- the-market offering on Form 8-K. In addition, the issuer must report quarterly on the number of shares that have been sold under the equity distribution program and related information, including the commissions paid and net proceeds to the issuer, either by means of a prospectus supplement or in its periodic filings under Forms 10-K or 10-Q.

I will be curious as to the average sale price, as well as who bought the shares. And that's prolly all that's there anyway...

Shares were sold in the open market so it is very possible many of us who bought the dip got some new shares.

And in the meantime? Everyone should just be guessing?

Aren't they constantly issuing shares, like as part of stock option compensation, and employee purchase programs? And that only comes out quarterly in the 10Q.

Does it really make a big difference if the average price is $400 or $425, knowing that they issued $5B? (My estimate is that they issued somewhere between ~11M and ~13M shares.)

I heard he helped Hamilton come up with the Federal Reserve!
Got pictures of it here.
maxresdefault.jpg

1. We know when it happened and the Total dollar amount. We can deduce the number of shares accurately enough. Why do you need to know down to the decimal??
I'm sure you know that I don't personally. It does seem like a strange oversight for a company to be allowed to 'hide' stuff like this for up to three months though. I should stop being surprised about things companies can get away with not reporting immediately.

Edit: Actually I guess the S&P can't include Tesla now because they can't know the exact float and thus can't figure out the weight. Guess Elon did find a way to stay out of the S&P. Constantly change the number of outstanding shares every quarter.

Someone pointed out that companies in the S&P 500 must have a public float that's 50 percent of shares outstanding (Source). The definition of "public float" for the purposes of float adjustment among other things excludes shares held by: directors and officers, private equity and venture capital funds, foundations, sovereign wealth funds, asset managers with a board seat, restricted units, and shares held by any individuals who own more than 5 percent of the company (Source).

Could Tesla have just barely failed to meet this requirement, especially with the vesting of Elon's next tranche? This would explain the $5 billion issuance, depending on how coordinated things are some of Ballie Gifford's sales, and if true some of the delay since as everyone figures out where things stand from Elon's next tranche and the recent issuance. I haven't calculated the numbers to see whether this is within the realm of reasonably possible, but plan to soon; maybe there's discussion elsewhere on this.

Regrettable that my first post here is about the S&P 500, but would be quite interesting if this were true.
You said, "Regrettable that my first post here is about the S&P 500, but would be quite interesting if this were true"

Welcome aboard! Speaking as one of this forum's most respected contributors:rolleyes:, allow me to be the first to assure you that it most definitely IS TRUE. Your first post definitely IS about the S&P 500!

Guess we wait until close for stock raise details -

Yes, although Elon was replying to a Teslarati article (Iirc) that seemed to give Peter more credit for the S than was due. I wasn’t sure if Peter was quoted as making those claims or if Teslarati made the claims.

Peter has been taking credit for designing or creating the Model S for years. Here for example the interviewer claims he designed the Model S (0:22). No correction from Peter. This happens in many of his interviews.

UPDATE: Tesla shares plummet after stock left out of S&P 500 rebalancing

"I think it was a surprise and, judging from Tesla's premarket share price this morning, the market seems to agree," Craig Erlam, a senior market analyst with OANDA, said Sept. 8, the first day of trading since the announcement.

Erlam said the snub will not be "particularly damaging" for Tesla, since their position outside the index is likely to be short-lived.

"Their inclusion into the index in the not-too-distant future looks inevitable. It just needs to prove that this is more than a purple patch and its stock price and performance is sustainable," Erlam said.

???

I hope the stock’s at 600 when they get included.

UPDATE: Tesla shares plummet after stock left out of S&P 500 rebalancing
"Their inclusion into the index in the not-too-distant future looks inevitable. It just needs to prove that this is more than a purple patch and its stock price and performance is sustainable," Erlam said.

Noun[edit]
purple patch (plural purple patches)

1. A period of excellent performance where nearly everything seems to go right, contrasting with a lower general level of performance.

In other words, a period of extremely good luck.