Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My thoughts on Battery Day:

I continue to be thoroughly impressed by the Tesla team. Drew and the other engineers are freaking rock stars. Super smart and motivated. I much prefer this type of presentation over the stupid PR stuff we saw from Cadillac and Lucid recently. And even if I ended up in a coma for the next 5 years, I'd sleep peacefully knowing the company is being pushed forward by the likes of Elon, Drew, and engineers like this. It almost makes me lose motivation to follow Tesla so closely, because these people are going to crush it over the next 5, 10, 15 years. I don't even feel like I need to pay attention to what's going on anymore.

As of today, even putting aside autonomy, Tesla already has a large lead in batteries, powertrain, software, engineering, manufacturing, etc. Battery Day made it clear that Tesla has some of the smartest people in the world thinking about and working hard on continuously improving every single piece of the entire battery supply chain, and probably the rest of the business as well. The pace of innovation and the numbers quoted seem absolutely absurd. I get the feeling that these advancements in Tesla's battery supply chain will, over the next 3-10 years, have a similar effect on Tesla in the battery space as the Starship architecture will have on SpaceX in the space industry. Basically it will make everybody else secondary, if not obsolete.

Everybody keeps saying Tesla can't do it alone, and Tesla keeps saying it hopes others will join it, but seriously, who can? No automotive company has been able to even come close to keeping pace with Tesla over the last decade, and now that Tesla is increasing its pace how will the gap anything but widen? I'm less familiar with the Panasonic's, LG Chem's, and CATL's of the world, but I'm skeptical that any of them have the resources, talent, leadership, and drive to keep up with Tesla's increasing pace of innovation.

And maybe that's the biggest take-away for me from Battery Day. Tesla's not just getting further ahead, it's increasing the rate at which it's getting ahead of the competition. Many will likely not understand this, but in order to survive Tesla's competitors don't just have to keep up with Tesla's innovations, they have to keep up with Tesla's pace of innovation. They don't just have to attract the right talent and spend money on the right R&D, they have to fundamentally change how their companies operate in order to drastically change their pace of innovation, or else they will get left behind.

I don't think many, if any, will be able to accomplish this on a scale similar to Tesla, so I expect we'll see a lot of casualties, and I think we should hope that Tesla can scale beyond 3 TWh after 2030, and perhaps achieve 10 or 20TWh by 2035, because I doubt anybody else is going to come anywhere close to those numbers. I'd love to be proven wrong by a Panasonic, LG Chem, or CATL Battery Day, but I'll see it when I believe it.
Frank, this is a great post!

The one point I disagree with is clearly others will jump in the pool in a big way well before 2030. No doubt in my mind. To paraphrase a principle: We overestimate short term and underestimate long term changes. Fear of death/extinction (which affects companies just like people) will cause shareholders to force others to follow Tesla's lead well before 2030.

Will any one company match 3 TWh? Very doubtful.

Yeah, that next call to Panny is going to awkward AF.
It wouldn't awful to be Tesla's number 2 battery supplier...

I have been researching buying a model y for awhile now and have just read god knows how many pages of this thread. The knowledge of the people here is amazing. I am excited about Tesla’s future but I admittedly don’t have any expertise in buying individual stocks (all index funds) as I always thought the risk wasn’t worth it.

however, I am contemplating buying a sizable amount of Tesla stock (maybe 5-10% of my investment portfolio-approx $75,000+) and was wondering if now would be a good time to jump in or if it’s too late? FYI, my investing horizon is 10+ years easily. Wish I got the urge to do it 6 months ago and feel that I have already missed out.
Seems like a dip occurs mid morning most days, 10sh EST, possibly this could be a great time to enter TSLA. I'm hoping to buy a few more shares.
Not advice...

Even so. do they really NEED a refresh as a priority? where are the lots of unsold model S and X cars that tesla cannot shift? where are the big discounts and sweetners tesla are offering to 'offload' these old fashioned out of date relics like the S & X. They dont need to refresh the best EVs on the market. If Nissan, GM and Ford did their jobs properly, maybe there would be some competition forcing them to prioritize this. But they have not. There is no competition. Is the taycan outselling the S? the e-tron? seriously?

Excellent points. And I think the Lucid Air delay to market is what's giving Tesla breathing room to start deliveries of Model S Plaid in late 2021. If Lucid was eminent, Tesla would have had to hustle a less refined Plaid S into production in order to compete. As it is, when the Lucid Air and Plaid S finally meet, whether on the street, track or the showroom, it's going to be like:

hqdefault.jpg

(yes, those are million ton feet)

Cheers!

I have been researching buying a model y for awhile now and have just read god knows how many pages of this thread. The knowledge of the people here is amazing. I am excited about Tesla’s future but I admittedly don’t have any expertise in buying individual stocks (all index funds) as I always thought the risk wasn’t worth it.

however, I am contemplating buying a sizable amount of Tesla stock (maybe 5-10% of my investment portfolio-approx $75,000+) and was wondering if now would be a good time to jump in or if it’s too late? FYI, my investing horizon is 10+ years easily. Wish I got the urge to do it 6 months ago and feel that I have already missed out.

Yes, AVOID index funds.

Disruptive companies, especially when their stocks are "On Sale!" are an excellent buy.

There may be an opportunity to buy "On Sale!" tomorrow.

Don't pass it up, then HODL for a few years; it'll be influential for your family for generations to come:)

There are exceptions for stock cars. They'll adjust the rules.

FWIW.

I have been kicked out of a drag strip for going too fast in a stock car without a roll cage AND I've driven a car with a parachute on the street a decent amount. :p

PS I ordered a Plaid but honestly hope not to take delivery. I'd probably rather a ludicrous Model 3 or a Roadster. If they redesign the Model S and make it more nimble, well, that's a different story. The main reason I ordered was to lock in FSD price on a fully refundable item that wouldn't be available for some time to come. The cybertruck on the other hand....that's coming home. :)

View attachment 591163
Almost assured the reasons we're going to have to wait a year is, single piece casting, integral structural pack design and brand new body and interior.

The structural pack slides seems to be using Model Y as illustrations, so that means the plan for new cells are not just for CyberTruck and Semi.

This makes me think the reason why Elon jumps in to say the dry tech is not “mass production” ready for a year, is to avoid Osborne Model Y, it doesn’t necessarily mean there is any uncertainty in getting it polished and ready when time comes.

So the 1-year timeline give people the impression that it would come to Model Y only after the Giga Berlin version, no reason to wait now.
So, I am expecting sometime from now till next September they would announce the new cell line is producing at full capacity over night, no real ramping, rather a step change.

I mean you either get the yield high enough or still too low, no need to produce more than test batches before that, and no reason to produce at lower throughput after, right?

Ok now I am spreading a theory that could Osborne Model Y, I will show myself out.