Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Lol, I'd take the 'over' on that bet too. VW makes just 10M cars/yr so that's a low bar. Maybe VW+TM = Tesla's output in 2030, but that's a BIG if since it's not clear that Volkswagen and Toyota will survive 10 more years (at least not as currrently operating).

No transition, no demand, no company. That's the stark future for ICEmakers.

So 20M Teslas and 10M VW+TM? Or just bankrupt ICE?

Cheers!

• Funny
Reactions: Artful Dodger
It's still alive!

d097cb835b5f036f01cbe47bbb0c4527.gif

Capture2.PNG

Capture.PNG

Tesla-robot-snake-charger.gif

Tesla's robot snake charger is not dead yet - Electrek

Last edited:
"CR research shows that EVs cost less to maintain than gasoline-powered vehicles"

I am amused by the word research in the headline, like it's equivalent to Niels Bohr's research into the structure of atoms or Alexander Flemming's research into penicillin. Anyway, inspired by the "CR research" I did some "research" of my own and discovered the following:

My Mercedes annual service was regularly over £600, My Nissan Leaf was £159 and my Model 3 is £nothing. It looks like CR could be onto something here
If the DOE have been researching batteries for 16 years now and they have as their goal nearly the same goals as Elon has for batteries, this begs the question as to why Elon pours time and resources into developing cheaper batteries when the DOE are already doing that. Surely, a governmental agency like DOE, with its superior numbers of researchers and resources, should be able to outperform a mere commercial enterprise in this area, could it not? </satire>

I’ve always been worried about Tesla’s dependence/entanglement on China. I don’t think he had much of a choice though. Obviously Elon knows this is a potential problem, so he’s managing the situation. Frankly, the fact that Tesla was the first auto manufacturer to 100% own their own factory (no joint venture) was huge in itself. Not enough people gave Elon credit for that coup.

They never gave him credit because they all said (including many here) that it couldn’t happen. The pages and pages of posts here; if I had a TSLA share for every one —

So now that they were so very wrong; let’s not talk about it. Sshhhhhh

I’ve heard the ‘it can’t be done’ so many times now that the second somebody says it; I write them off as talking out their, umm, clueless.

Shanghai factory update - lots of activity. New access road construction well underway. Model 3 production appears to be back up to speed, many vehicles visible. New excavations for additional structure(s) behind the stamping extension of the Model 3 building.

Rather, I think the new excavations are adjacent to the casting extension. So probably another, larger casting extension. Pretty enormous. Perhaps for Model 2? Model Y production expansion?

Amazing that the next phase of construction seems to be kicking off early. Not the beginning of the year, as with prior phases.

On a slow day.....

I am going to abuse my powers as first, the namesake ‘owner’ of this thread but more implacably, as its Moderator, to place an entirely Off Topic post, immediately following this one. As I don’t countenance others doing the same, please indulge me by confining any responses to the “vote” choice - thank you.

Reactions: LN1_Casey
As was pointed out, Tesla said it is working on Insurance 2.0 and will implement that before rolling out all over. I'm sure they've learned a lot about how to implement the business for real and scale it worldwide.

Now, as to why insurance.

2. Insurance is an information game, and they have way more information about their cars and drivers than anybody else...

5. As autopilot gets better, accidents become fewer. Only Tesla is equipped to notice this in realtime.
6. Getting better information on repair costs allows Tesla to improve their vehicles faster.

Without debating the other points these three deserve a bit of comparison:
In most locations around the world maintenance history, operator training, monitoring and specific use patterns plus historical documentation do yield dramatic insurance rate variations today. Specific cases in point are heavy vehicle fleets, shipping, aircraft (especially fleets, but often single aircraft also. Less frequently there are factors that sometimes supplement 'no claims bonus' schemes. Where those exist they tend to be for exotic vehicles and commonly happen in cooperation with the the manufacturer or distributor. Having been a beneficiary of several of those schemes , I know the carriers that do such things often use quite detailed information that most carriers do not employ.

Where Tesla can innovate the most consequentially is in operator information monitoring and vehicle use patterns. The maintenance and collision repair components will be material also, without doubt. At the moment there really are no vehicle classes other than ships, airplanes and large trucks where anything approaching Tesla with cars. Large commercial aircraft from Airbus and some newer Boeings plus Dassault and some Gulfstream/Canadair models have such monitoring coupled with maintenance and repair processes. Tesla has vastly more data than even those, they only need to figure out how to apply all that data, particularly in a prospective manner (i.e. writing new policies for new customers).

Jest after that category comes the collision repair side, where two factors coincide, time out of service and cost of repair. Both of those have been abysmal for Tesla in years past. Both are being addressed although we do not yet have enough data to be confident they've really turned the tide of woe. Thus Tesla collision repair costs have been very high. Assuming the improvements are happening Tesla will have better data and better control of the entire collision cost cycle. That immediately could produce very substantial savings for Tesla customers and better loss rations.

All of this is far from trivial and actuarial practices are, and must be, inherently conservative.

The processes described cursorily above can make seeming high risks into low ones, yielding low rates and high profitability at the same time.

FWIW, owner-pilots of turbine and jet aircraft that often are uninsurable can get cheap rates if their actual total data can prove, normally with some fairly intrusive monitoring. Having experienced that, I am confident that Tesla can do all of that while not even seeming intrusive, although the policy holders will know they're being continuously monitored. Just as moving from a LR25D to a CE525 halved my rates, I suspect moving from a Plaid/Ludicrous to a normal version will always save money, but Tesla can make costs reflect actual driving behavior, which will benefit everyone who buys those things and does not use all the performance.

Just think, eventually Tesla might well be able to do similar tings with TE products, At the outset they should be able to do it with Semi and Cybertruck.

Geographical expansion will be a major PITA, given all the arcane jurisdiction rules.

RIP Borealis 2006-2020

I have been raising malamutes for four decades and, while of course every one of them was special in his or her own way, not only was he the most outstanding Alaskan malamute I ever have known, but his grace, his gentlemanliness, his sensitivity to especially his mistress’s loves, fears, worries and pains, his astonishing ability to make us laugh at his antics, and his absolute gentleness to go with his massive frame - I never will see his equal in any dog of any breed.

Even in his passing, he was able to do so with the utmost solicitude, gently falling into a coma yesterday, while at home, and passing on just at dawn.

He and his littermate sister Aurora had as lucky lives as dogs can have, spending most of their time on this earth exploring the high boreal forest and the endless tundra that surrounds our high-elevation home and, in those several winters we spent in Arizona, able freely to explore six fully fenced acres.

Each year, thousands of our guests would take back to their home countries hilarious stories and videos of the two clowns enthusiastically singing along to my or Jenny’s playing the harmonica; they would greet each set of guests by answering to “What’s your name?” with Aurora responding “A-roo-roo” and Borealis a baritone “Bo!”.

The world got a chance to watch Borealis when he appeared in a Jeep commercial that was shot on our compound - I’ll never get over not receiving a copy of that ad for our files.

Most wonderfully, when in 2010 the legislature named the Alaskan malamute as the official state dog, our biggest newspaper, the Anchorage Daily News, put this photo (my re-appearing avatar) of Borealis on the front page.....where it stayed for an entire year. Borealis was, indeed, THE state dog.

Farewell Bo. The world is a dimmer, grayer place without you.

edited to correct date. Thanks, mongo

RIP Borealis 2016-2020

I have been raising malamutes for four decades and, while of course every one of them was special in his or her own way, not only was he the most outstanding Alaskan malamute I ever have known, but his grace, his gentlemanliness, his sensitivity to especially his mistress’s loves, fear, worries and pains, his astonishing ability to make us laugh at his antics, and his absolute gentleness to go with his massive frame - I never will see his equal in any dog of any breed.

Even in his passing, he was able to do so with the utmost solicitude, gently passing into a coma yesterday and passing on just at dawn.

He and his littermate sister had as lucky a life as a dog can have, spending most of their time on this earth exploring the high boreal forest and the endless tundra that surrounds our high-elevation home and, when we wintered in Arizona, able freeely to explore six fully fenced acres.

Each year, thousands of our guests would take back to their home countries hilarious stories and videos of the two clowns enthusiastically singing along to my or Jenny’s playing the harmonica; they would greet each set of guests by answering to “What’s your name?” with Aurora responding “A-roo-roo” and Borealis a baritone “Bo!”.

The world got a chance to watch Borealis when he appeared in a Jeep commercial that was shot on our compound - I’ll never get over not receiving a copy of that ad for our files.

Most wonderfully, when in 2010 the legislature named the Alaskan malamute as the official state dog, our biggest newspaper, the Anchorage Daily News, put this photo of Borealis on the front page.....where it stayed for an entire year (my once and shortly-reappearing avatar). Borealis was THE state dog.

Farewell Bo. The world is a dimmer, grayer place without you.
I'm sorry you lost your friend.

A little perspective on Elon's missed FSD timelines. Funny read.

View attachment 596848
Thread: https://twitter.com/TashaARK/status/1314262376015855616

Nissan, 2013: "There is big news in the world of motoring right now, because Nissan has upped the stakes and gotten serious about autonomous cars. In fact, Nissan Japan is promising a “commercially-viable” self-driving vehicle system by no later than 2020 (that is less than a decade away!). To add to this big news, Nissan also stated that not one, but seven of its 2020 models should have this technology available to them.

Ongoing Autonomous Vehicle Technological Research

Nissan has already been working on autonomous drive technology with a number of top research and educational institutions around the world for some time now. This includes cooperating with prestigious engineering research faculties at MIT, Stanford, UC Berkeley, Carnegie Mellon, Oxford, the National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology, Virginia Tech, and of course nearly every major university in Japan.

At the announcement of Nissan’s self drive timelines, the company CEO Carlos Ghosn had this to say:

“In 2007 I pledged that – by 2010 – Nissan would mass market a zero-emission vehicle, today, the Nissan LEAF is the best-selling electric vehicle in history. Now I am committing to be ready to introduce a new groundbreaking technology, Autonomous Drive, by 2020, and we are on track to realize it.”

A Leader in The Field of Current Driver Assistance Technology

For the best part of the last decade, Nissan have been one of the leaders in the field of driver assistance technology. These systems can already keep hapless drivers in their lanes and ensure that they maintain a safe following distance. They have also helped speed up the development of Nissan’s autonomous driving technology and the plans for autonomous drive by 2020 are a logical extension of Nissan’s technological advances that are occuring right now as you read this article

This entry was posted on 26 September 2013 under Nissan News"
My initial reaction was to give this post a Funny. But then I realised that the message we should be taking from it is that fully autonomous driving is a really tough nut to crack. Mostly because the real world is too fuzzy, which results in the inevitable “march of 9s”.

We already know that Elon Musk is a highly risk-tolerant, challenge-accepting individual, which is why we got used to take his predictions as likely to come to fruition, but not on the timelines that accompany those predictions. Even so, Elon has recently dialled back his optimism in terms of the time remaining until FSD becomes a reality for the general public. He knows they’ll get there but it’s become more clear to him what needs to happen in the meantime, and how long that’s likely to take.

So the sobering part of that story is that a typically conservative automaker like Nissan, even under the leadership of a relatively forward-looking CEO by industry standards such as Ghosn, was sufficiently confident back in 2013 that autonomous driving would be in the bag by 2020 to put out that press release.

So, yes, it will still be a while. Of course I trust the very dedicated, highly talented engineering team at Tesla, pushed hard by a guy whose brain works in terms of “not physically impossible + appropriate engineering solutions = reality” to hit that elusive target first. But WHEN remains the main unknown.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/43...st-in-worlds-advanced-ev-market-in-peak-month

Another SA hit piece.

I post it not b/c we don't know the FUD that they will post, but specifically for people to look at the comments in the article. The comments show that we still have a LONG way for Tesla perceptions to improve. Even among Europeans in that thread, there are some simply dead wrong impressions about Tesla.