Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've owned TSLA since right after IPO. These past few months it feels to me like TSLA is more volatile than ever. Day traders must love it.
I agree with this. Very volatile but also range-bound between 290-380. I've just been selling puts and calls near the bottom and top, respectively, of the range. It's working very well so far.

What the F Wall Street...
boingy.png

giphy.gif

There is an earthquake risk, but it's lower than China's other major metro hubs - not an extreme risk. Shanghai's biggest problems are flooding

Tesla needs to be in China and this seems a reasonable choice. Just need to be aware of the risks. I like Nevada and Buffalo the best but manufacturing has to be close to product sales so for China this may be the better place. Floods and storms come with notice but earthquakes .....

Tesla needs to be in China and this seems a reasonable choice. Just need to be aware of the risks. I like Nevada and Buffalo the best but manufacturing has to be close to product sales so for China this may be the better place. Floods and storms come with notice but earthquakes .....
Still not sure why they built so close to the coast. It's not like they need to export cars via ships.

I am sure it can be built earthquake-proof. They actually have some experience at that with GF1 (and I suppose Fremont probably has a lot of that built-in) And earthquakes aren't increasing in frequency or severity. I'm more concerned about Typhoons... which are.

TSLA investors and shorts will now be focusing on Chinese coastal weather. If a Typhoon is approaching... or the threat of one can be convincingly built... TSLA will be pushed around like a pinball.

Not looking forward to seeing solar panels fly off the top of the building at 150mph.

Today TSLA just attacked after yesterday's climb. News about factory groundbreaking isn't solid enough (no pun intended) to keep a rally going.

Reactions: neroden
A 1,5% drop; not that large. Tesla dropped 4,5% in that timeperiod.

Yep, and the drop shows the typical patterns of a TSLA bear/short raid:
  • Artificial pre-market peak to unrealistic highs not supported by macro (possibly executed via European secondary markets to evade SEC monitoring).
  • Very high volume open of almost half a million shares that capped the price - on no real Tesla or macro news.
  • the moment NASDAQ turned sour (in fact a minute before it ...), aggressive market orders marking down the $TSLA price on only average volume - exaggerating macro moves and feeding on weak-long stop orders at key levels.
  • Note the proximity of the January 18 options expiry of around ~60 million shares worth of PUT interest - about 5-10 million of that shares-equivalent open interest is in the $340-$350 range.
  • Prediction: price is at around $327 now, if that level holds then it might bounce back a bit at the end of day, as the accumulated intraday short position is slowly distributed back to not hold that much of an overnight short position.
@Papafox might concur. If the SEC ever wanted to investigate irregularities on $TSLA trading then today would be a prime example. ;)

Last edited: