Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Umm the math?

Tesla is selling 12X the vehicles that Nio is selling on a monthly basis + Tesla has revenue coming in from the Energy side that Nio doesn't haven't.

Yet Tesla's market cap is only roughly 7X the market cap of Nio. That's stupid. Tesla has just as good of a revenue growth rate as Nio, except they're doing it a much larger scale which is way more impressive. And this isn't taking into account the many other things Tesla has for future growth that Nio doesn't have.

I'm surprised I need to point out how the market caps of these two companies are not being fairly valued
Are you going to compare PE next? Let Nio do its thing.

They had better than expected quarter because the fear of highly ramped up Model 3s in China did not detract from their growth. High Covid numbers and the fact that the valuation 1.5x lead to many people taking a position in shorting NIO. The presidential race however through a curve ball in which Biden will win(good for NIO as tariffs may decrease from China) AND the senate remains red so no tax increases. This is leading to another stage of run ups because so many were thinking Biden's win would probably tank or remain neutral to the market as the senate was expected to flip, plus Covid would play a major role at tanking the stock. This didn't play out and all these shorts/put holders are getting F-ed big time. So don't look at Nio's valuation, it has nothing to do with their fundamentals as most highly volatile/story/growth stocks do not.

Disclaime, I have no shares in NIO and doesn't believe in the company.

Are you going to compare PE next? Let Nio do its thing.

They had better than expected quarter because the fear of highly ramped up Model 3s in China did not detract from their growth. High Covid numbers and the fact that the valuation 1.5x lead to many people taking a position in shorting NIO. The presidential race however through a curve ball in which Biden will win(good for NIO as tariffs may decrease from China) AND the senate remains red so no tax increases. This is leading to another stage of run ups because so many were thinking Biden's win would probably tank or remain neutral to the market as the senate was expected to flip, plus Covid would play a major role at tanking the stock. This didn't play out and all these shorts/put holders are getting F-ed big time. So don't look at Nio's valuation, it has nothing to do with their fundamentals as most highly volatile/story/growth stocks do not.

All of this comment is true but does not come close to being a valid reason for the valuations between Nio and Tesla.

No where in my comments have I actually said anything about Nio's valuation being way overvalued. I'm not making a comment on Nio as a business, their future, etc...I really don't care. I'm just pointing out Tesla is severely undervalued if the Nio valuation sticks. Nio could sell off, likely will, but it would need to drop to essentially teh $35-40 area for the valuations to even remotely start to make sense in comparison.

Anyways, I'll drop the subject cause there's nothing complaining about it is going to do to change the situation right now.

All of this comment is true but does not come close to being a valid reason for the valuations between Nio and Tesla.

No where in my comments have I actually said anything about Nio's valuation being way overvalued. I'm not making a comment on Nio as a business, their future, etc...I really don't care. I'm just pointing out Tesla is severely undervalued if the Nio valuation sticks. Nio could sell off, likely will, but it would need to drop to essentially teh $35-40 area for the valuations to even remotely start to make sense in comparison.

Anyways, I'll drop the subject cause there's nothing complaining about it is going to do to change the situation right now.

Your assumption is that Nio is rightly valued and Tsla is undervalued.

The right assumption is Nio is highly overvalued because like I said, short squeeze.

Attachments

• upload_2020-11-5_14-29-9.png
    upload_2020-11-5_14-29-9.png
    1,018 bytes · Views: 42
Another ultra-low volume day with SP appreciation really only getting us back near Battery Day Eve. PA should announce a big chunk of vote counts putting Biden over the top. Potentially Nevada at the same time.

Hopefully we get some real buyers tomorrow!

Where the hell is S&P with our inclusion announcement?

Another ultra-low volume day with SP appreciation really only getting us back near Battery Day Eve. PA should announce a big chunk of vote counts putting Biden over the top. Potentially Nevada at the same time.

Hopefully we get some real buyers tomorrow!

Where the hell is S&P with our inclusion announcement?

Square qualified for S&P inclusion with their latest earnings today.....Given the remarks by the committee, I'd put money on them getting inclusion before Tesla o_O