Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m not sure about that. Once it’s truly self driving, people will flip off that switch. How often do you critique the driving of your Uber driver? Only when it’s extreme right?
I hate driving w/o FSD now, let alone an ICE. I do take over when I think it's being lame. But those instances are tapering off.

Speaking of FSD... that's the other catalyst this quarter. I can see another bump in price by new year after our Christmas package arrives. Hmm, maybe save that bump for Q1's historically weak quarter.

Market's live! Quick day.

Reactions: Nocturnal
If I understand correctly, this 10.9 P/E is just today's price over 2030 earning per share (aka forward P/E). He's not predicting 2030 P/E to be that low.

Edit: FP/E at 10.9 makes TSLA cheap compared to AAPL at 15+

what would a reasonable 2030 P/E be? 50? If so, does that mean he is saying he expects about a 5X in share price over the next 10 years?

Just. Why?

You doing Black Friday shopping today? If not, I don’t get your logic even a teeny bit. You’re ‘hoping’ to get them back by EOD? Why not just keep them at SOD and then no ‘hope’ is required. Clearly it’s not ‘fine’ or you wouldn’t be ‘hoping’.

*deleted my hope for today*
Perhaps, we'll see.
I play the swings and have been successful at this so far. This month is harder, but the days not over and makes it more fun!

Oh oh... spike is back..

IMO Tesla is unique in that it makes high end cars like; Mercedes, BMW, Audi and even Ferrari, but also increasingly mid-market cars and lower priced cars like Ford, Toyota and GM. Tesla can survive in a wide range of price points.

I don't disagree with most of your post. However, it is a huge misconception to imply that Daimler (eg Mercedes-Benz), BMW and VAG (e.g. Audi) are mostly 'high end'. Daimler makes the Smart and the MB A-Class, both of which are distinctly not 'high end'. BMW has Mini and the 1-series. VAG has everything from the GOL (less than $10000 in Brazil) to Bugatti. That only is for cars and ignores everything else.

Simply, VAG and Daimler share parts and engineering through their entire range, with VAG even sharing engine parts between the tiny GOL and the Bugattis.

Tesla will soon have shared components from new Roadster to the Chinese and German smaller cars plus Semi and Cybertruck. With all of that will come significant scale economies and increasing model diversity. It is inevitable that once GF-3, GF-4 and GF-5 are up and running there will begin to be major iterations of existing models. Models S and X will have a while to wait perhaps but they will have new architecture to allow them to have cheaper and more flexible model enhancements as well as cheaper and better production processes.

I don't presume to speculate on timing, but the direction is both clear and inevitable.

With five years the Tesla automotive range will be inclusive of city cars to New Roadster plus several commercial vehicle variants. Were that not to be true why would there be design centers coming in China and Germany?

Just think of the implications of a growth rate in excess of 25% per annum.

Of course TE will have similar or higher growth rates with products and services quite different and broader than those of today.

Bluntly we are myopic if we fail to see the array of automotive products coming. FWIW, Tesla can make GOL to Bugatti competitors profitably, precisely because the most expensive basic components will be applicable at both extremes and everywhere in between. The chemistry will vary, so will motors...

Ok, let's change the dynamic from talking about how the stock will react to S&P inclusion to what happens afterward. I think we all will agree that TSLA will only rise through 12/23. How high, we will see.

Moving post-inclusion, I am looking at 3 periods.

1- 12/23 - 12-31 - During this period I think we will see a fairly significant drop as investors take profits prior to year-end to avoid inevitable tax increase next year.

2- 1/1 - earnings - This period I really am not certain about. My gut is that the stock will trade in a new lower range predicated by the end of year profit-taking. We will probably see a slight rise as people buy on the end of year dip.

3- post-earnings - Here I think we will see another run-up as TSLA surprises on the upside once again as analysts still have no understanding of how to model this company.

Would love to hear other people's thoughts.

Russ

[1] I just did my personal math and it blows my mind because my family would be in the low nine figures if my "best case" happens... This is similar to what happened to long-term Berkshire Hathaway HOLDRS that bet on Warren Buffet since his early days. Perhaps Tesla will have to rent Chase Center in SF for the Annual Shareholders Meetings!

[2] I plan to update mine after 12/21/20.

Are you by chance looking to adopt a grownup son?

I had $35 left in my ROTH settlement account, so put in a buy order last night for 12/04 850c at $0.34. It executed. Now I’m glued to the screen for the next week. Edit: I’m up 80% in minutes, compounding that over the year, I’ve got all the money in the universe. Take that Bill Gates.

Edit: I also put in a GTC sell covered call 12/31 900c at $500. If someone wants to make me a Teslanaire by year end, who am I to deny them? .:p:eek::D:oops::rolleyes: I’m not really sure what emoji works for those trade.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like the saying goes If it’s too good to be true it’s probably not true. That said of all the events that have impacted TSLA this year this one seems like it’s backed by data and thorough analysis. The only unknown seems to be any curve ball that the S&P committee might throw.

The uninhibited rise of TSLA over the past two weeks has been steady and almost like it’s on cruise control. Tomorrow might be a good indicator of what the crooks/thieves might be up to or maybe we will get a confirmation that they are just playing by the rules. Reason I say that is because I expect low volume and it’s easier to manipulate it towards max pain.

I guess they are just playing by the rules...IV climbing. Last chance to buy some call options?

Just. Why?

You doing Black Friday shopping today? If not, I don’t get your logic even a teeny bit. You’re ‘hoping’ to get them back by EOD? Why not just keep them at SOD and then no ‘hope’ is required. Clearly it’s not ‘fine’ or you wouldn’t be ‘hoping’.

*deleted my hope for today*
Seems like everyone who’s posted their trades this week are on track to lose money:

1. soulpedl sold this morning hoping for a cheaper price this afternoon
2. Gabe sold $570 CCs expiring today
3. Reddyleaf sold earlier this week at $520 hoping for a lower price today.

Lesson of the day: HODL!

Perhaps, we'll see.
I play the swings and have been successful at this so far. This month is harder, but the days not over and makes it more fun!

Oh oh... spike is back..

Ok. Then why such a small chunk of shares? Just for you to buy 1 extra share the SP needs to drop +$500 and whatever you sold at. You risked a potential multi $100 run up thru the end of the year and more beyond for quite literally mouse nuts.

So here’s how it’s going to go. You’re not getting those 100 shares back any time soon. I hope you really are fine about the sale.