Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Normally I would say this is BS but there might be something to it.

Looks like Tesla Inc was recently registered
In the state of Karnataka.

https://twitter.com/teslaclubin/status/1348977284594634755?s=21

Tesla will start by selling cars in India this year, and a decision to set up a manufacturing facility will be made at a later stage. This pretty much discredits the Tata rumors.

Minister Nitin Gadkari a couple of weeks ago.

"American auto major Tesla will have its distribution facility (sale centres) for its cars in India from next year [2021] and considering the demand it would look into setting up of manufacturing here."

Source: Tesla to begin operations in India in 2021: Union Minister Nitin Gadkari

Lasted one day.....
upload_2021-1-12_7-34-58.png

I view the SP price action between now and the Earnings Report as interesting, but potentially not solidified. I am expecting a good ER with record cash flow, etc., and a guidance from the company of over 800K deliveries this year. I will give a big sigh of relief if the market responds well in the days after the ER. How many times in the last several years did we say we would never go below 300 (pre-split) only to see it fall below time and time again. If we stay above 800 after the ER I will be VERY happy and definitely sleep better at night. Until then, this is just noise.

I view the SP price action between now and the Earnings Report as interesting, but potentially not solidified. I am expecting a good ER with record cash flow, etc., and a guidance from the company of over 800K deliveries this year. I will give a big sigh of relief if the market responds well in the days after the ER. How many times in the last several years did we say we would never go below 300 (pre-split) only to see it fall below time and time again. If we stay above 800 after the ER I will be VERY happy and definitely sleep better at night. Until then, this is just noise.

On the other hand, I expected some slight negative reaction after the Q4 P&D numbers were released (just because Tesla fell slightly short of that 500k number) but instead TSLA took off like a rocket.

This is why I preach: Do not attempt to use logic for short term movements--on that time scale, it does not apply.

Last edited:
Let me add some information

Porsche released to have 30k pre-orders in July 2019 and increased their annual production 2020 target to 40k.

They deliver now 50% of that target they adjusted later when realizing they won't be able to make it and call it a victory now

Judge yourself ... :rolleyes:
Farfegnugen the numbers

Elon will only partner, IMO,

On the other hand, I expected some slight negative reaction after the Q4 P&D numbers were released (just because Tesla fell slightly short of that 500k number) but instead TSLA took off like a rocket.

This is why I preach: Do not attempt to use logic for short term movements--on that time scale, it does not apply.
Something changed fundamentally. The fact that 190k-200k were floating around which didn't have any negative effect on the SP perplexed me. I think the days when traders were irresponsibly running the price up purely on speculation and technicals were over. Now that institutions are REQUIRED to take TSLA more seriously, our fundamentals are the star of the show. Regardless of what the expectation was, nobody can deny 500k in 2020 was an indicator of huge growth and so the SP responded favorably. TSLA is cheap compared to AAPL, for example.

Guess I missed the dip.

Nah.. 835 is still deep within the dip.

If we define the 'dip' as any SP below the intraday minimum from Friday ($838.39), then that 'dip' price was available until 09:31 ET (just after the Open).

Then, the SP marched straight up to the Upper-BB ($861) where the MMs+hedgies are now trying to put a 'cap' on it:

sc.TSLA.10-DayChart.2021-01-12.11-11.png

Watch for volume to ebb, then the inevitable walk-down attempt... SS/dd w. TSLA, wot?

Cheers!

Because of Apple's coming entrance into the EV market, yesterday Gene pushed his TSLA $2500 forecast from 3+ years to 5+ years.

I lost a lot of respect for Gene in that short analysis. It made it clear how little he knows about automobile engineering/design/production technology and just how much expertise and talent Tesla has in that area and how difficult it would be for Apple to compete with Tesla in 2024/2025.

Tesla entered the automotive market during a "magic window" (the established players had let their guard down in the EV space) and even this did not guarantee a new entrant could successfully penetrate the industry and become an established player. It was only by exceptional talent and an incredible string of correct calls in terms of product concept/design, messaging, timing, hiring, etc. etc. etc. that this worked. This was far more difficult than Gene appreciates. Making cars at compelling price points is far different from making phones, computers and earbuds. Calling a car a "computer on wheels" does not change this unassailable fact.

It will be more likely that major players in the automotive business get their act together than Apple can successfully enter the auto market with a product that brings:
1) up-to-date automotive technology
2) on time
3) at a compelling price point
4) manufactured in sufficient volume to matter

The chances of this are about as close to zero as you can get. The most likely way this plays out (two most likely scenarios first):

1) The project quietly goes away, never to be heard from again
2) The project turns into a infotainment system package for existing automakers
3) The AppleCar gears up for production but the plug is pulled when executives realize the car can't compete with existing EV's. They cut their $30 billion in losses and run.
4) This is the scenario that meets the four requirements above. I don't see this as having enough chance to even list here. That said, around the 2030 timeframe things get fuzzy enough that maybe something like this is possible eventually, regardless of how unlikely it is now. But not by the 2024-2025 timeframe discussed here!

I don't know, maybe Apple has hidden away some of the best brains who are secretly working in private and have the amazing ability to pull it all together and orchestrate the most amazingly choreographed entry into the automotive scene we have ever witnessed. I have no doubt they can handle the marketing part of it, it's the engineering design and manufacture I doubt. And a contract manufacture doesn't solve this problem for reasons of cost competitiveness. Look at the Jaguar iPace. Even with the emission credit benefits it's not worthwhile. And Apple won't have the benefit of emission credits by 2025. If they get EV subsidies they won't be a competitive advantage because their competitors will likely have them too. No one with a grasp of what it would take can take this seriously. The fact that Gene does makes me think he just doesn't understand what's involved. And he confirms this by calling a car a "computer on wheels". That is a gross misrepresentation of what it takes to make a car (even if EV's are more simple than ICE).

Last edited:
Zacks - today: The Zacks Analyst Blog Highlights: NVIDIA, JPMorgan, Beazer Homes USA, Tesla and Tilray

Excerpt:

Tesla is literally helping the world by relying on sustainable energy by selling EVs. The company, currently, flaunts a Zacks Rank #1. The Zacks Consensus Estimate for its current year earnings increased 4.3% over the past 60 days. The company’s expected earnings growth rate for the current year is 60.4%.

Note: Rank #1 is Strong Buy

Zacks - today: The Zacks Analyst Blog Highlights: NVIDIA, JPMorgan, Beazer Homes USA, Tesla and Tilray

Excerpt:

Tesla is literally helping the world by relying on sustainable energy by selling EVs. The company, currently, flaunts a Zacks Rank #1. The Zacks Consensus Estimate for its current year earnings increased 4.3% over the past 60 days. The company’s expected earnings growth rate for the current year is 60.4%.

Note: Rank #1 is Strong Buy
Thanks for that article....funny to see Tesla being mentioned with Tilray as Gordo so often loves to compare the 2 companies since they are so similar :)

Reuters - hour ago: Tesla takes another step on road to launch in India

Excerpts:

Tesla Motors India and Energy Private Limited was incorporated on Jan. 8 with its registered office in the southern city of Bengaluru, a hub for several global technology companies...

India’s transport minister Nitin Gadkari told a local newspaper in December the U.S. electric carmaker would start with sales and then might look at assembly and manufacturing...