Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anymore? I don't believe he has ever responded to any comment for any of his articles in the past. He is one of those trolls, who will say some outrageous stupid thing, sit back and watch the clicks and comments roll
Back in the early days he used to try and defend his position in the comment sections and he would get destroyed. Now he just drops his idiot bombs and runs away.

Intern must be working this morning :) We'll take it....lets all do a gofundme to buy him lunch and have him work through it :)

Honestly, there's a massive snow storm here right now. I'm 40 minutes North of NYC. I used to do IT work in a hedge fund hotel. These people stay home on days like this. I wondered before the start of the day if it would have any impact. I'm not saying today is just because of the storm, but I think it's got to impact it somewhat.

Let's just say I can't read - as pointed out it's Infotainment now with Google not FSD.
Anyway, Ford's doing something I think...

upload_2021-2-1_10-32-57.png

Last edited:
Maybe it's multiple millimeters (as opposed to around 1-1.5mm for current car lidar setups)? Did they state the actual wavelength?
OT... Here's everything you didn't want to know about mm wave radar, from TI who makes a chip to process the data. Turns out to be extremely hard to do and I suspect very computer power intensive with all those calculations on Cortex processors. Too many variables!

Use Millimeter Wave Radar Kits for Fast Development of Precision Object Detection Designs

This weekend, I found myself explaining why I don't need to drive except for a small % of time (or when required on city streets). For my old friend, this was "taking away his freedom" and further added how he didn't like that there was no engine noise.

Think about how crazy that sounds (especially in the early 1900s when people had these discussions)? The only thing he left out was that he would miss the messy oil and the lovely taste of gasoline in our mouths from our siphoning days. So he sends me a pic of his personal in-floor car hoist and 6 BMW convertibles in his own family, kids too. He built his garage around his transportation needs - out of necessity perhaps? What he was truly perplexed about was that I was from that same era but somehow I changed. He just couldn't understand that, yet. I think he needs a test drive ;)

Meanwhile, my tools just sit there. I could thin out 50% but it's a skill and glad to help fix others if needed. Funny, I always wanted my own hoist bc of him (roommates in college). That would have been a terrible investment!
Your friend might want to start a nostalgic association like this one, for fishing-boat engines (tändkulemotor) made from the previous turn-of-century, that could run on almost anything (probably even rancid butter, in a pinch) after heating up a steel ball with a blow torch so it would ignite the fuel. They made a characteristic bomp-bomp sound and ran at low rpms. A few are still running, lovingly cared for, like in the green tugboat Harry.

Sound files available at the enthusiast site:
FÖRENINGEN L. LAURIN I LYSEKIL Skandiamuseet, Skandia, Tändkulemotor,Råoljemotor, Bogserbåten HARRY :cool:

Laurin's company was founded in 1899. ;)

What is "Millimeter Wave Radar", isn't that Lidar or just plain radar?
Or does the term "Lidar" finally have a bad connotation as old tech?
View attachment 632978
No. Completely different wavelengths. Millimeter is radio, lidar is light (IR, nanometers) -- orders of magnitude between them, although in principle the same phenomenon, wholly other characteristics.

OT... Here's everything you didn't want to know about mm wave radar, from TI who makes a chip to process the data. Turns out to be extremely hard to do and I suspect very computer power intensive with all those calculations on Cortex processors. Too many variables!

Use Millimeter Wave Radar Kits for Fast Development of Precision Object Detection Designs
Thanks, I looked it up and LIDAR is actually 900-1500nm so I was off by 1000x!

Millimeter wave is completely different.

Your friend might want to start a nostalgic association like this one, for fishing-boat engines (tändkulemotor) made from the previous turn-of-century, that could run on almost anything (probably even rancid butter, in a pinch) after heating up a steel ball with a blow torch so it would ignite the fuel. They made a characteristic bomp-bomp sound and ran at low rpms. A few are still running, lovingly cared for, like in the green tugboat Harry.

FÖRENINGEN L. LAURIN I LYSEKIL Skandiamuseet, Skandia, Tändkulemotor,Råoljemotor, Bogserbåten HARRY :cool:

Oh bother. I’m going to have to Mod-delete both your and my posts as being ridiculously off topic.

But, maybe, later. Until then, enjoy!....

We call them after the sound they make: “make-and-break” engines. Also called “one-lungers”. And here is a great symphony of them, from our friends in Newfoundland. It is a Wonderful sound:

Mod edit: Aha! I’ve found a way to keep from deleting it, by putting on topic....

This would be a GREAT sound for the pedestrian-alert.

Yes. This is the sound our Teslas will make.

Now this one thing I never imagined to see linked here :D My dad is obsessed with boat motors, and I got him the first tändkuledunk CD (which is just tracks of tändkulemotors running...). Best present anyone has ever given him, according to him! I see that there's a new CD out, and I think I know what he's getting for his next birthday :rolleyes::p

Back in the early days he used to try and defend his position in the comment sections and he would get destroyed. Now he just drops his idiot bombs and runs away.
I got banned twice by SA for challenging him back in 2018. After that I stopped reading that worthless drivel. Just based on the title posted here, I can pretty much guess the contents of the article.

Fear of Tesla forced Detroit to overcome their fear of Big Tech and accept assimilation.

Maybe this is how Detroit survives in the long run.
The story of GM migrating from carriages to autos give me some hope there (although a bit harder challenge this time). Legacy can access many new BEV customers through their brands before Tesla can even get a test ride in, IMHO. And that's a good thing if they ever get any volume, otherwise it's just like Exxon researching Solar for the appearance of goodness.