Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went a bit over board.. and have had doubts all weekend. :)

(sold a lot of $760 3/5 naked puts, went into margin at 60% - and bought shares for everything).. :rolleyes: ..and then realizes Margin might call me if we continue to dip another 10%.. :oops::( But now.. it might be ok. :D will de-leverage today, if greed dont get the better of me again.

Just in case anyone wondered. I bought back 1/3 of my naked puts at 25% profit. Margin usage now down to a more comfortable level. ;-)

I think they said 1-2% purchased FSD, no?
Oh, you could be right, even worse then (I corrected my original post). Leasing to Chinese (or in general) might be what some folks need at first.

This weekend, I found myself explaining why I don't need to drive except for a small % of time (or when required on city streets). For my old friend, this was "taking away his freedom" and further added how he didn't like that there was no engine noise.

Think about how crazy that sounds (especially in the early 1900s when people had these discussions)? The only thing he left out was that he would miss the messy oil and the lovely taste of gasoline in our mouths from our siphoning days. So he sends me a pic of his personal in-floor car hoist and 6 BMW convertibles in his own family, kids too. He built his garage around his transportation needs - out of necessity perhaps? What he was truly perplexed about was that I was from that same era but somehow I changed. He just couldn't understand that, yet. I think he needs a test drive ;)

Meanwhile, my tools just sit there. I could thin out 50% but it's a skill and glad to help fix others if needed. Funny, I always wanted my own hoist bc of him (roommates in college). That would have been a terrible investment!

Single digit billion???

Tesla in for single-digit billion eur amount in German subsidies: Business Insider

Isn't the entire program ~2.9B Euro? So that means that Tesla is getting more than a third of it, even though there are 11 recipients?

EU approves $3.5 billion to boost EV battery production in Europe

But maybe the whole program is for more than 2.9B Euro... I can't tell if that is the total amount, or if the EU is kicking in 2.9B and Germany's portion of it is 1.6B, or is that in addition to it. Does anyone have more details on this program?

Last edited:
Benzinga - early today: Tesla, Charles Schwab — Stocks NYSRTS, One Of US' 10 Largest Pension Funds, Purchased In Q4 | Benzinga

Excerpt:

The New York State Teachers’ Retirement System, one of the largest public pension funds in the United States, has piled on shares of Tesla Inc and Charles Schwab Corporation, according to filings made with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.

What Happened: The pension fund added 999,948 shares of the Elon Musk-led company in the fourth quarter, while it did not own any at the end of the third quarter.

You are comparing Tesla's first 2 real products (Model S and X) with car companies that had been in business for a century.

Step forward to the Model 3 compared to a top of the line 2020 Volvo S80 T6 built in Sweden. Pricewise, the Volvo was between my wife's RWD Model 3 and my Performance Model 3. But both of our Model 3's are better built cars than the Volvo. Both are faster than the twin-turbo straight six cylinder Volvo. Both handle better. Both are more reliable. Both cost less to operate and maintain. Both are more fun to drive. And the top of the line Volvo was no slouch in any of those areas. The Volvo was quieter and slightly more "luxurious" if that's what you want but the newest Model 3's have moved closer to that already. It's not that Tesla doesn't know how to match the Volvo in those areas, it's that it comes down to weight, efficiency and cost as the BEV powertrain had a built-in cost disadvantage that is rapidly evaporating. Obviously, early Tesla buyers put a premium on things other than luxury.

I question whether you really are a S3XY old man when you say things like that. New car buyers are getting younger and know what they want. And it's not their parent's old-world view of what's really important in a car.

The post you respond to said perceived value. It doesn't really matter if your datapoint is correct or not.

It only very slowly matters if Tesla produce great 'looking' cars. The perceived view is that ALL US cars are worse compared to European. That might not be correct but that's what the last 30-40 years have led most Europeans to believe. Tesla alone can't change that. Doesn't matter if that's correct or not. One or two exceptions to that won't change that perception and few will think 'yeah, US cars are less good, except Tesla. Most will just see all US cars as the same.

It's a bit like how we still think of Chinese products. Just like 10-20 years ago Chinese manufactured products are viewed as cheap and inferior. Whatever great individual product came out of China didn't immediately change that view point. It's taking decades and Chinese made product is still looked down on as inferior even though clearly in many cases it's not.

This is why European produced Teslas is so important for the European market. I have no idea if they will be 'better' than US and Chinese produced ones. But to most Europeans they will be thought of as better.

What is "Millimeter Wave Radar", isn't that Lidar or just plain radar?
Or does the term "Lidar" finally have a bad connotation as old tech?
upload_2021-2-1_9-58-41.png

• Informative
Reactions: capster
Nice to see us back in our channel today. Thinking about selling some covered calls...

I did a little earlier today. Down a good % now, but I think I managed the strike and expiry reasonably well (19FEB21 $950's) given where we have been at. In a non-taxable account, so I'm not worried about any implications on that front.

Teslarati - today: Tesla Model S refresh gets fastest charging rate even without 4680 cells

Excerpt:

Tesla’s page for the Model S notes reveals that the flagship sedan is capable of replenishing 200 miles of its range in 15 minutes. This effectively makes the Model S refresh about 12% faster than the Model 3, the fastest charging Tesla prior to the flagship sedan’s update. The Model X, for its part, now matches the Model 3’s Supercharging speed, with Tesla noting that the SUV could now recharge 175 miles of its range in 15 minutes