Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gas stations are now convenience stores. When I'm filling my cars, I might see more cars coming to the convenience store than to fill up.

I live in a small city. We have _7_ gas stations.
The towns around us have another 5 together.
I might be missing one or two.

You would need a serious collapse of ICEVs to see any kind of significant impact on the convenience of filling, especially in an age of GPS and mobile Internet that tell you where the gas stations are.
This will happen quickly. The convenience stores treat the gas pumps as a loss leader to bring in business -- profit margins for the convenience stores on gasoline range from 2% to negative. The moment they need a tank replacement, they rip out the pumps and they don't replace them -- this is already happening. Even a moderate drop in gasoline sales makes it worth ripping the pumps out.

Rewinding the store closings... Update on Tesla Stores and Pricing
*Sigh*

This is due to the boom in interest after the Model 3 announcement. I hope they'll go back to closing stores in a few months.

12 stores in LA still makes no sense.

I'm glad to hear they're still reducing staff at the remaining stores.

Sorry if this has been posted. Sandy Munro interview. It's pretty good after the first few minutes. It seems his mind works right. He predicts $35k Model 3 built in China can have 25% margin. I remember Elon said the same thing during Q4 conference call.
I haven't finished it, but after he says that no one else is making money on EV the follow up question about "why not" is not as clear sighted as the rest of what he says. For example:

1. he claims EV1 was "not wanted." This was supposed to be the case. At the time the manufacturers were feuding with California and GM tried to prove that no one wanted electric by making the EV1. The only problem was that they were wrong. But they had been smart enough to not sell any of them, only lease, and they impounded all of them. So Munro's use of the EV1 as evidence of "lack of demand" seems disingenuous.

2. he says Elon Musk is a star, implying that people buy Tesla's not because they are good or better than the competition, but because they want a piece of that celebrity. But he undermines his own point by talking about brand loyalty and how someone (allegedly) buys a Prius not on the merits of the car, but because of the Toyota brand name. If that is the case, why can't other manufacturers sell their cars at Tesla levels?

3. he points out that volume is required to achieve profitability, but that just further underscores the failure of the legacy manufacturers. His essential claim is that if they could sell at volume then they would in fact be making a profit (its implied, not explicit, but still required for his statement). So what he really saying here is that profitability is a symptom rather than a cause. It would be circular to claim they can't sell at volume because they can't sell at volume. It explains nothing.

I wonder if he does this because he is in business himself and doesn't want to drive customers away by stating the plain truth about why they are unprofitable/not selling at volume.

Source for your super low sales numbers?

Monthly Plug-In EV Sales Scorecard

If this is wrong, paint me stupid... but I don't have any other source.

For those who hate clicking things

2018 - Model 3
Jul: 14250
Aug:17800
Sep:22250
Oct:17750
Nov:18650
Dec: 25250

2019 - Model 3
Jan: 6500 (est)
Feb: 5750 (est)

So the last 2 months of 2018 averaged 21,950 and the first two months of 2019 averaged 6,125 which is a 15,825 decline. or around 70% (the 80% is Dec Vs Jan).

Is this wrong? Did Tesla sell 15,800 Model 3's in Europe in Jan and Feb?

Here's my take. Tesla had a chance to look at demand for the various flavors of M3 after the new prices were announced. If you look at Troy's spreadsheet, SR is not particularly popular. SR+ is noticeably more popular, and the more expensive flavors of M3 were well represented too. (note: I strongly suspect the low end Model 3s will see more attention than suggested by Troy's spreadsheet, but the SR vs. SR+ breakdown is likely of value to us). Tesla realized they could bump up the SR+ price and still have a large number of orders for it, and the same was true for the other vehicles. Thus, we have:
* A $35K M3 SR
* A M3 SR+ that will likely still be the most ordered version
+3% means it'll be about $38K instead of $37K.

* M3s of other flavors that now bring in about 3% more revenue (3% AVERAGE price increase)
* Half the stores remaining open so that the benefit of stores is not lost at this time but at least half the cost is lost. This situation gives Tesla a good chance to see from results how valuable the stores really are and it leaves the door open for a move in either direction.
I'm still saying "one store per metro area" is the way to go.

* No commissions on sales within stores as all sales move online
* An incentive to order before March 18 to lock in lowest prices
* End of quarter incentives in Q2 and Q4 as well as tax credits step down/expire

The biggest negative is that Tesla looks like it can't make up its mind.
True.

Reactions: M|S|W and humbaba
The worst part about this store closing debacle is that if they had thought through it and never done it, they wouldn’t have detracted from the momentous announcement of the $35k car.

It must be nice to have a product that is so unique and desirable that you can make big mistakes like this, and it doesn’t really matter.

It must be miserable to have a company that is so uniquely under the spotlight, with so many vocal detractors, that every mistake you make becomes page one headlines.

It’s the best of times and worst of times.

This is the type of unforced error that’s surpressed the stock price recently

Reactions: Singer3000
To be fair, the "anti-Tesla" media also isn't harping on about the fact that Jan and Feb U.S. sales in 2019 were less than a single week's capacity [each month]
(FTFY)

Says the lowest of the three estimates. InsideEVs is the low estimate, AlphaHat is the middle estimate, and Edmunds is the high estimate. IMHO, AlphaHat's (9,3k in January, similar in February) looks like the most unassailable methodology (tracking cell phone IMEIs; each car is effectively a cell phone, allowing it to be tracked from Fremont to delivery centres to customers). InsideEVs involves some user-contributed data, which can be very prone to participation biases and changes in order distributions as time goes on.

If you go with InsideEV's estimates, you'd have to believe that Canada (4,7k Teslas Jan+Feb, so somewhere around 4k M3) had nearly a third as many Model 3 deliveries as the US. Do you believe that? I mean, it's technically possible, but sure seems bloody unlikely, even with the tax credit phasedown. Remember that 40% of Canada's population (Ontario) lost their (very nice, $14k CAD) EV credits last year, and the rest never had such nice incentives to begin with (Quebec still has $8k, BC $5k, but everyone else, nothing).

Next, you have to ignore that Tesla's deliveries do this every bloody year. Check out past data for yourself. Tesla focuses heavily on international deliveries in January and February, then switches to a domestic push for March. Every year.

Year: Jan+Feb : Mar
2018: 7960 : 10020
2017: 4150 : 6200
2016: 2940 : 5850
2015: 2250 : 2450
... etc.

And the domestic push this year is a real doozy. SR orders are already pushed out a month and a half; they're going to be delivering nonstop until the end of the quarter, as fast as they can. And just purchased more delivery capacity to make it happen as fast as possible.

If you take a rounded-down AlphaHat of 18k for Jan+Feb, and use a historical 1-2x March delivery factor, that would be 36-54k domestic in Q1. I'd be highly surprised if it was under 30k. Don't forget to add Canada back in on the top.

As for European and Chinese sales, [citation needed]. We can watch Norway's Tesla deliveries realtime, for example. Do so:

Tesla Registration Stats

Over 100 per day, 700 per week. Just in Norway. This will continue for the rest of the quarter. Based on February numbers (when they just started, and weren't quite apace), Germany is getting faster deliveries than Norway, Netherlands about 2/3rds the speed, France about half the speed as Norway, etc. All of Europe together (well, the parts that they're selling to right now, which is only part of Europe), you're looking at maybe 3,5x Norway's delivery rate. Say an average of 2,5k for six weeks in Q1 (actual time was longer, but the ramp started slower). That's 15k. Possibly even more; it might accelerate toward the end of the month. They've sent about an equal number to China, so add another "at least 15k". That's "at least 30k" international. Typical ship loads would be up to 40k or so international.

Last edited:
Recently Tesla said they will first build the semi trucks for their own use. I think the purchase of the shipping company is part of a bigger plan. Tesla probably will ship their own products using Tesla Semi. Each Tesla semi can earn $200k in a year based on my rough estimates.
What's the point of buying the company for $14M then? Getting a few employees to drive the truck? What other kind of resources could Tesla need that it cannot acquire for less than that?

Anklebiter says:
View attachment 385190

Sounds like another one of his "drug cartel operating in GF1" stories ;) Or maybe someone has been stealing office supplies. I think the last time he claimed someone was stealing copper, but the amount that he said was stolen would have required a train to show up at GF1 in the middle of the night to haul it off ;)

ED: Apparently it's the boss of the "Sinaloa Cartel operates out of GF1" guy, the one who told the story to the first guy. Lol ;) Old article that mentions him here:
Tesla whistleblower says report backs his claims of drug investigation at Gigafactory

Everyone, freak out! Apparently the DEA doesn't know about this, but Brave Sir Stuart is going to rescue the day!
That guy is such a blowhard. He said he was going to release it premarket so it doesn't affect the price and then releases it 15min before open. And turns out its really nothing. That employee was already in the news last summer. He was disgruntled at the time. Now I know to ignore this lawyer. That's twice he made some big claim. I'm not going to waste another minute reading his crap.

http://ir.tesla.com/static-files/77f338fd-cbef-403e-984d-51ec3a902946

New SEC S-3 form filed. If I read this right they bought some trucks and trailers for $14M and issued 50k shares to cover that.

Sales agreement is dated 1-7-19; shares closed that day at $334.96.

"We have a diversified fleet of 100 trucks 1-9 car carriers."

ABOUT US | Central Valley Auto Transport

So about $167k/ truck-carrier (no info readily available on age of fleet).

Prior market segment seems to have been moving used vehicles (re-locations?, etc.)

Interesting that Elon has just said ok to a *new* store in Perth. It’s worth checking out Perth on the map to get a feel for the geography.
Well, yeah, Perth needed a store/gallery. It's not like they're gonna visit Sydney to test-drive the car.

The stores which I thought needed closure were the redundant stores, multiples in a single metro area.

So the last 2 months of 2018 averaged 21,950 and the first two months of 2019 averaged 6,125 which is a 15,825 decline. or around 70% (the 80% is Dec Vs Jan).

Is this wrong? Did Tesla sell 15,800 Model 3's in Europe in Jan and Feb?

Tesla shipped substantially more than that to Europe and China, though I'm not sure whether the deliveries will land in Jan, Feb, or Mar (travel time).

Reactions: lklundin
Firstly, how do you evaluate customer reaction, without telling customers? Methodologies with focus groups and backwards looking statistics to estimate purchase behavior for high value products are not very reliable. There could be a lot of people waiting on the sidelines who've discovered they really wanted to book a test drive, after the store closures were announced.

I suspect Tesla saw significantly increased foot traffic and walk-in purchases last week.
We have anecdotal reports of that. Stores which had practically no custmers during Jan and Feb suddenly seeing hundreds of people walking in.

Tesla is now pivoting/backtracking towards an Apple Stores showroom model - where sales staff doesn't earn a sales commissions.
I hope they stay away from commissions and keep reducing showroom staff, because it was badly bloated.

(FTFY)

Says the lowest of the three estimates. InsideEVs is the low estimate, AlphaHat is the middle estimate, and Edmunds is the high estimate. IMHO, AlphaHat's looks like the most unassailable methodology (tracking cell phone IMEIs; each car is effectively a cell phone, allowing it to be tracked from Fremont to delivery centres to customers). InsideEVs involves some user-contributed data, which can be very prone to participation biases and changes in order distributions as time goes on.

If you go with InsideEV's estimates, you'd have to believe that Canada had nearly a third as many Model 3 deliveries as the US in January and February. Do you believe that? I mean, it's technically possible, but sure seems bloody unlikely, even with the tax credit phasedown.

Good points and I hope you're right, we'll all see soon enough.

Next, you have to ignore that Tesla's deliveries do this every bloody year. Check out past data for yourself. Tesla focuses heavily on international deliveries in Janugary and February, then switches to a domestic push for March. Every year.

Year: Jan+Feb : Mar
2018: 7960 : 10020
2017: 4150 : 6200
2016: 2940 : 5850
2015: 2250 : 2450
... etc.

I don't think prior years are a great indication given Tesla hasn't had anywhere near the volumes in prior years that they had in 2018, so it's difficult to know what kind of trend the Model 3 will follow.

As for European and Chinese sales, [citation needed]. We can watch Norway's Tesla deliveries realtime, for example. Do so:

Tesla Registration Stats

Over 100 per day, 700 per week. Just in Norway. This will continue for the rest of the quarter. Based on February numbers (when they just started, and weren't quite apace), Germany is getting faster deliveries than Norway, Netherlands about 2/3rds the speed, France about half the speed as Norway, etc. All of Europe together (well, the parts that they're selling to right now, which is only part of Europe), you're looking at maybe 3,5x Norway's delivery rate. Say an average of 2,5k for six weeks in Q1 (actual time was a big longer, but the ramp started slower). That's 15k. Possibly even more; it might accelerate toward the end of the month. They've sent about an equal number to China, so add another "at least 15k". That's "at least 30k" international. Typical ship loads would be up to 40k or so international.

Your Norway numbers are not supported by that link you provided, unless I am reading it very wrong. The site shows just over 1,900 deliveries in 2019 to date. I don't know what the cut-off is for those numbers, but I'll be generous and say the end of Feb, so that's 8 weeks or 237 vehicles a week (not even close to 700). Norway is very EV friendly with more than 50% of all car sales being EVs, but yes has a low population of about 5 million people.

I think it would be very hard to extrapolate European sales from Norway's sales, but if we take your 3.5x Norway as the baseline (I think it might be a little higher than that), you're still looking at under 1,000 deliveries a week, or less than 10,000 in total sales when including U.S. per month, which is still only 50 - 60% of Q3's average.

I'm not hating on the company, I own the car and the stock, and I'm worried. Last night's tweet and reversal hasn't made me more confident.