Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So saw people previously mentioning the casting equipment. Believe same KTVU video previously posted but transferred to youtube and easier to watch. I saw KRON say they were putting sand on it. Crews respond to fire at Tesla plant in Fremont

There’s an aluminum melting furnace in there as well as the casting machine itself. And a pilot plant is the place where you want new hardware to have glitches & hiccups like this...

When I bought my model WS i would have to drive it london for a service (100 miles) then later they opened a service center near me (40 miles) now a local body shop is tesla certified (8 miles).
I don't think distance to service centers is an issue. And actually...I've owned my model S 5 years and got it serviced twice. Thats not exactly a lot. I also got door handles fixed (they picked up then returned) and got a new upgraded MCU (my choice).
If this was a petrol car I'd have 4x the service visits and likely 4x the cost.

Here in the Uk the #1 reason tesla dont sell more is price. The #2 reason is lack of charging infrastructure for people without dedicated parking.
Of course they still sell every car they make, lots of wealthy BMW owners can be converted before they need to worry about #1 or #2.

Currently I'm the only Tesla owner in my village, but at least 15 people here could afford one. Once 10 of them own them, I'll worry about demand. (FWIW 1 is VERY interested but lazy, 1 wants a truck but hates the cyber design and will get a rivian, Another was amazed to hear about the range, but has no parking for their london home).

There are 2 other Tesla owners within 5 minutes walk of my house. All 3 of us have driveways. Regarding your comment on price, I spoke to one of the owners and the only reason he chose a Tesla was because it was a company car and there is £0 benefit in kind. Unlike myself he knew very little about Tesla but the tax benefit was the determining factor. He loves the car. Oh yes, and my doctor also has a Tesla.

TSLA MaxPain (7:00 A.M.): $670 (+$7.50 from Thu)
One note to this:
Screenshot_20210312_131226.png

Don't forget next weeks triple-witching-day. I would bet on at max 700 closing today & ~750 next week. It is not only the max-pain this week, but also preperation & hedging for next week. But the mathematical max-pain for next-week is skewed by 300k(!) sold puts at 20$ (100 pre-split).

Max-Pain is nice & everthing - but i learned that just looking at the bars is often more informative as way ITM/OTM calls/puts are already 90+% delta-hegded and not the battleground.
If we close today at ~699 & blowout to >800 on monday then the option-market could trigger a small gamma-squeeze as there are a LOT of open calls in that area with a swift reversal the day after.

Disclaimer: I sold 800 covered calls & 595 cash/margin secured puts for next week playing that day. I plan on closing the CC today before mondays blowout.
I would not advise you to do the same without your own due diligence. ;)

what’s the latest with GF1?

the footprint hasn’t expanded much in ~2yrs
obv the revamping of the existing lines with panasonic etc etc

but why hasn’t there been any further expansion? (or maybe we just don’t know about it?)

if they expect to put the semi there, then is it safe to expect 4680 production there?
if so, then why wasn’t that mentioned at battery day?

is there something with panasonic partnership constraining them from making anything but 2170 there?

there we also rumors about water issues in sparks preventing them from expansion...

but what is the real deal w gf1?

can anyone provide link to the site feedback forum? search returns nothing related.

or the reference area for new forum changes?
trying to find out how many use mobile vs desktop and why.

It can be found in the list of forums when you click 'Forums' at the top of this page. It can also be found here.

what’s the latest with GF1?

the footprint hasn’t expanded much in ~2yrs
obv the revamping of the existing lines with panasonic etc etc

but why hasn’t there been any further expansion? (or maybe we just don’t know about it?)

if they expect to put the semi there, then is it safe to expect 4680 production there?
if so, then why wasn’t that mentioned at battery day?

is there something with panasonic partnership constraining them from making anything but 2170 there?

there we also rumors about water issues in sparks preventing them from expansion...

My understanding is that they are (generally) labour constrained at GF1. Lines have been updated for new chemistry, and I believe Pana agreed to add 1 additional line last year - so production in kWh continues to increase.

But I would expect the real US cell volume expansion to occur in Austin/Fremont and potentially other unrelated sites.

My understanding is that they are (generally) labour constrained at GF1. Lines have been updated for new chemistry, and I believe Pana agreed to add 1 additional line last year - so production in kWh continues to increase.

But I would expect the real US cell volume expansion to occur in Austin/Fremont and potentially other unrelated sites.
that’s pretty much all i’ve heard too.

the elephant in the room is that the
factory is only about 1/3 the intended size. it went like gangbusters for a couple years and then pretty much fizzled out and nobody has explained why, nor asks tesla about it during quarterlies. they have a boatload of unused land there too.

if it is workforce/housing/water/local infrastructure constraints, i can understand that. if it’s something else, i’m interested in hearing more.

You know what would be amazing? If wealthy Tesla owners started running really well done Tesla Commercials.... imagine a commercial about Cybertruck powering a house..... Texans are very much in the market for this sort of thing.
I think buttershrimp is looking at you Elon and Ron Baron.
@buttershrimp , @Tyler34 , I'd gladly contribute to production of great ads viral videos and other marketing efforts for Youtube and such and I'm certainly not in Ron Baron's league. Imagine what just .0001% of our collective investment winnings would support.

As far as I know, it's the lack of a labour pool. There just aren't enough people there to provide enough employees. Historical reasons are that housing construction couldn't begin because of water shortage (I heard a while ago that this has been fixed.)

Last edited:
Analysis thread on fire:
One person on twitter says his father works with similar machines. Seems to think it'll likely be back up and running by end of night.

"My dad works in metallurgy and has worked with press machines similar to this before. 'Looks like steam or water vapor. Anything of substance would be black smoke. Could be hydraulic hose leaked on something hot. Nothing serious. Better safe than sorry.' "

"Considering black smoke at beginning, definitely metal on metal overheating leading to black smoke. Could’ve been a number of things, most commonly a failed cooling or press got caught and wasn’t able to abort prior to cast overheating."

Says they used sand to put out the fires because they likely didn't have the foam on hand which is what caused all the smoldering.

EDIT: Most recent tweet includes comment from Freemont Fire Department, "The cause of the fire is molten aluminum and hydraulic fluid. Hydraulic fluid was identified as the source of the fire." -

Like how this hydraulic line burst aka fireball seen around the world because it’s Tesla!!! Swap the blown hydraulic hose and machine is back running (minus all the silly safety paperwork).

trying to find out how many use mobile vs desktop and why.
Desktop mostly. Bigger screen, more stable connection, faster, more storage. Laptops and mobile devices are fine away from home or office, but they really cut down on productivity. Of course, corporations like them because they are cheap (corporations don't appear to value productivity except on the manufacturing line).