Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I watched the model 3 guy’s video. The carjacker clearly was unfamiliar with the car and didn’t know how to open. Actually seeing the bullet hole in the bottom of the driver’s side B pillar the driver was very lucky he wasn't shot.
He will buy the bulletproof CyberTruck next time if he can afford it with the Stimulus check

Analysis thread on fire:
One person on twitter says his father works with similar machines. Seems to think it'll likely be back up and running by end of night.

"My dad works in metallurgy and has worked with press machines similar to this before. 'Looks like steam or water vapor. Anything of substance would be black smoke. Could be hydraulic hose leaked on something hot. Nothing serious. Better safe than sorry.' "

"Considering black smoke at beginning, definitely metal on metal overheating leading to black smoke. Could’ve been a number of things, most commonly a failed cooling or press got caught and wasn’t able to abort prior to cast overheating."

Says they used sand to put out the fires because they likely didn't have the foam on hand which is what caused all the smoldering.

EDIT: Most recent tweet includes comment from Freemont Fire Department, "The cause of the fire is molten aluminum and hydraulic fluid. Hydraulic fluid was identified as the source of the fire." -

Last edited:
Analysis thread on fire:
One person on twitter says his father works with similar machines. Seems to think it'll likely be back up and running by end of night.

"My dad works in metallurgy and has worked with press machines similar to this before. 'Looks like steam or water vapor. Anything of substance would be black smoke. Could be hydraulic hose leaked on something hot. Nothing serious. Better safe than sorry.' "

"Considering black smoke at beginning, definitely metal on metal overheating leading to black smoke. Could’ve been a number of things, most commonly a failed cooling or press got caught and wasn’t able to abort prior to cast overheating."

Says they used sand to put out the fires because they likely didn't have the foam on hand which caused all the smoldering.
I know resistor burn cause black smoke on circuit board, may be hydraulic oil, also due to a plastic hose burn. Most of the time a white smoke from steam/water vapor like from a leaking car radiator, rupture coolant hose.

Reactions: Jovian
This line of thinking is in my opinion is KIND OF RIGHT. It's very difficult to get people excited about an EV when ICE cars are pretty freaken good and pretty freaken cheap. It also doesn't require people to change their habits or needing to go very far to get broken parts fixed when the repair shop network is infinitely better than the EV repair shop network. So there has to be a hook, and that hook is not just instant torque.

I went electric right when ICE dealers and repair shops were offering house calls?

We've had two Tesla for three years and neither one has ever been serviced in a shop. My wife's charge port door broke last year and the service tech replaced it in our carport. Last week my trunk started only opening with the phone app or the center screen so tomorrow the mobile service tech is going to replace the trunk button as it sits in our carport. This will take me zero time out of my day and I won't need a loaner car.

I had no idea ICE repair network was even better than this now. o_O

Says they used sand to put out the fires because they likely didn't have the foam on hand which is what caused all the smoldering.

EDIT: Most recent tweet includes comment from Freemont Fire Department, "The cause of the fire is molten aluminum and hydraulic fluid. Hydraulic fluid was identified as the source of the fire." -

Hmmm, that machine is pretty new to be catching on fire - maybe Tesla was experimenting with over-clocking it. Damn the torpedoes! Full steam ahead!

I went electric right when ICE dealers and repair shops were offering house calls?

We've had two Tesla for three years and neither one has ever been serviced in a shop. My wife's charge port door broke last year and the service tech replaced it in our carport. Last week my trunk started only opening with the phone app or the center screen so tomorrow the mobile service tech is going to replace the trunk button as it sits in our carport. This will take me zero time out of my day and I won't need a loaner car.

One of my charge port pin deadfronts popped off earlier this week. Yesterday I took a photo and scheduled service without having to leave the Tesla app or speak to a human. Today, less than 24 hours later, a shiny Model S showed up and a friendly service tech replaced the pin in about 30 minutes.

In the interim, I approved the cost estimate ($0), was notified of the tech's arrival, and received the final invoice. Again all within the app.

Not sure it's possible to beat that level of service.

1. This vary greatly geographically.

2. It's not expected for regular people to even know what mobile service is, or how the car can diagnose itself without going to get it looked at. Regular Joe barely understand the concept of charging at home, or if a supercharging network even exist. Tesla doesn't exactly go out of their way to educate the masses because that requires lots of advertisement dollars. So they are just relying on word of mouth.

3. If I search for an auto mechanic, there are about 15 of them listed within a 5 mile radius, who are mostly available to handle any kind of emergencies. Mobile network on the other hand is booked about 3 weeks out in my location. Although convenient for some things, but not so much for others.

Reactions: FireMedic
I'm with you, I'm sure this is kind of old discussion type topic for this thread.... but it bothers me that it's one of those things so susceptible to ascertainment bias and coincidence... I would just like to know mechanisms of keeping something just below a threshold at end of day. Who benefits the most from a SP digit ending with 9 rather than a 0 at end of trading? And who can actually coordinate something like that at such volume?
it isn't that end of the number that has a psychological effect on the new investor. They don't go, "Oh look it is 600+." They go "TSLA has broken through 700 on its way to 800!!!!" I better buy now!"

Reactions: FireMedic
Tesla doesn't exactly go out of their way to educate the masses because that requires lots of advertisement dollars. So they are just relying on word of mouth.

I don't think that's the reason. Tesla doesn't "educate the masses" because that would just create additional demand for their cars they can't meet. There is no benefit to educating the masses about their mobile service. They educate their customers about it because it saves them money and requires fewer service bays to service a given sized fleet.

I don't think that's the reason. Tesla doesn't "educate the masses" because that would just create additional demand for their cars they can't meet. There is no benefit to educating the masses about their mobile service. They educate their customers about it because it saves them money and requires fewer service bays to service a given sized fleet.
You can literally explain anything with that reasoning. "Tesla is not doing ___________ because it will cause too much demand they can't meet."