Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do we expect today to go like the 35k car launch? Solid SP increase up to the announcement and then a wave of FUD to drive it lower?
Sounds like the way things go these days. Yeah, I can see that happening. I guarantee you the talking heads will find a way or ways to spin tonight's event negatively and it will in turn negatively and that is what will affect the stock. We could start another thread on guesses for tomorrow's headlines. Pretty sure they won't let them be positive.

Dan

• Funny
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Did I understand things correctly, that there is a trade agreement between the USA and Mexico under which a US car maker like Tesla is required to use a certain fraction of parts from Mexico?

Could some wiring and maybe floor mats come from Mexico? (I believe Elon Musk once told of a shipment of Mexican floor mats that got held up in US customs, because there were bullet holes in the truck due to some shooting that was unrelated to Tesla).

Anyway, my most important question is:

Would exports to Mexico involve any tariffs?
No, you heard wrong. The floor mats got hung up trying to get over the wall. lol!

Dan

Sounds like the way things go these days. Yeah, I can see that happening. I guarantee you the talking heads will find a way or ways to spin tonight's event negatively and it will in turn negatively and that is what will affect the stock. We could start another thread on guesses for tomorrow's headlines. Pretty sure they won't let them be positive.

Dan
I've already seen an article say that the Y is going to "make demand for model 3 even worse". They are really desperate to keep the narrative going.

Yes. In addition, even when highly analytic people (including Nobel Prize winners) do carefully model the probability of outcomes they often then ignore the boundary conditions of their models, fomenting disaster in a very sophisticated way. Prime example Long Term Asset Management
Long-Term Capital Management (LTCM)

Elon has made this error several times, including the PayPal case. Unlike those others, when Elon realizes his error he quickly corrects himself and admits the error. Despite the justified criticism of his impulsiveness, he learns from his own mistakes. That is very rare, and perhaps is crucial to his continuing astonishing success.

The downside: it takes a very strong and well-prepared person to argue Elon out of a bad impulse. Ms. Shotwell has spoken to that issue. In some areas Elon seems to have largely avoided big errors. IMHO these have had strong, confident and competent people to prove the cases. Pretty clearly these include JB and Jerome.

There have not been equal qualities in evidence in customer service, parts distribution, sales and, probably, legal. Of course several of the most critical components needing improvement are those traditionally least susceptible to highly analytic proofs.

“Traditionally” is the crucial point. Predictive analytics in behavioral science and ‘the transportation problem’ have been advancing even more quickly than has been widely perceived. Frankly, these logistics and behavioral issues are vastly less sexy than are vehicle autonomy, interplanetary navigation and a few other topics. Tesla has had great difficulty applying these techniques to seemingly mundane customer service, production and distribution problems.

Were Elon capable of playing nicely with Jeff Bezos he might find out how to solve these problems. Amazon is case study number one fir how to make the most boring topics both exciting and soluble. Frankly, I think a strong dose of Amazon-think would rapidly cure the vast majority of serious Tesla problems. Then Elon could concentrate on the areas in which he is so wildly successful; solving seemingly-impossible problems. Amazon-think would let him escape the prison of mundane problems, the ones he cannot ‘outsmart’.
<--- nominating for "Posts of Particular Merit"

Very broadly, civil actions that present Executive Branch overreach issues coupled with potential misconduct in prosecution of a defendant are just the sort of seemingly arcane issue that stimulates precedent-setting decisions.

A district court's judge's opinion ruling on a motion MIGHT have minor precedential effect in the federal district in which it was issued, but essentially none elsewhere in this country.

Reactions: jbcarioca
Right now it looks like selling the rumour, so maybe not.

Can't imagine why anyone would sell now, the SP could seriously pop tomorrow.

Or not.

A little surprised short-term traders aren't jumping in here in volume. Besides (probably bogus) "demand cliff," only other thing hanging over the company is SEC business. But the SEC likely won't get their reply in before the time they requested - should at least be an opportunity to take short term profits tomorrow. Maybe too much info about Model Y is already priced in and the prospect of a "one more thing" has mostly been written off.

I'm aware of the arguments made here against S/X news tonight, but I personally think something related to those models is likely to be mentioned tonight. The S options are too similar to the 3, and from teslastats.no, it's pretty clear 3 sales are negatively impacting S sales (148 Teslas delivered in Norway already today!). Going to be exciting, no matter what happens!

Unless the model Y is inexplicably dramatically worse than any other car tesla has made, how can it *not* be good news. An increasing product range, a wider addressable market, first steps into yet another area of the market for them to totally dominate... anyone selling tsla today is insane.
Owning this stock has really opened my eyes about what total and utter sheep not only retail investors are but even the BIG name investors. its like they do NO research whatsoever.

Indeed, thanks for the correction, I totally didn't expect anyone to project a Q1 profit after Elon warned that Q1 will post a loss.

How can the Q1 consensus be profits??? SMH.
Market manipulation.

Remember, we saw bearish analysts inject high delivery numbers into the average to create a fake "miss" two quarters in a row. It's illegal market manipulation.

You know, the sort of stuff the SEC is *supposed* to investigate, but never does investigate.

I really wish someone with more time and energy than me would set up a lawsuit over this illegal market manipulation. I'd sign on.

Perfect place for a little light reading. lol!

Dan
I really do enjoy reading all these posts...even ones I disagree with. Because so many folks here present info in a well thought out manner.

It is always a pleasure to see a lot of new posts by smart people.

All I can do is say Thank you all!

Indeed. My first - and continued - reaction upon seeing that number was conspiratorial:

"Good grief. Are we about to see yet another quarter in which estimates are helium-bagged™ in order to slam the company and the stock price once 1Q results come in?".

So, a call-out once again for the demonstrated estimates. I didn't tag the contributor who has access either to FactSet or the other agglomerators, but here's a call-out to him or her.

We need to publicize this illegal market maniplation. I'm not sure the best way to do it.