Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't think Tesla wants to kill powerwall sales by adding v2h or v2g.
Kill PowerWall sales? I have been trying to buy one for 16 months with NO success. Our local solar installer has applied 5 times to sell them with not so much of a courtesy call back. Unless you live in a few "select" markets there are no PowerWalls.

Kill PowerWall sales? I have been trying to buy one for 16 months with NO success. Our local solar installer has applied 5 times to sell them with not so much of a courtesy call back. Unless you live in a few "select" markets there are no PowerWalls.
The more things change....

It is STILL all about the batteries.

Ford isn’t even planning on making their own. Not a good plan for long term survival in the BEV future, IMO.

Try again if every Tesla sold can be a powerwall too. The demand shrinks overnight.

California does not plan to ban the use of combustion cars produced before 2035 after 2035..

It will take quite a while to replace the current stock of vehicles.

GM,Ford, and Stellantis will also make BEV trucks that look conventional.

For many years Cybertrucks will be a tiny fraction of the trucks on the road, the definition of abnormal. Not normal.
it is not necessary to ban them, that, to me, is not the correct way to look at it

A vehicle is actually just a fuel tank, constantly searching for more fuel, while transporting humans

witness the east coast fuel shortages simply caused because the owners of the fuel pipeline could not trust buyers to pay for what they got.
It was shut down mostly because they didn’t trust buyers to pay costs, and 10’s of 1,000’s of vehicles ran out of fuel, as did the stations that supplied them.

{i manufacture 160% of my needed fuel from virtually zero marginal cost sunshine}

If there are virtually no fossil fuel stations to supply unobtainable “go juice”, bans on fossil fuel vehicles won’t matter,
it will be a moot point,
they will become variations on “yard art”, slowly rusting into piles of reddish dust like the 2 on our farm did over 4 decades, trees and brush growing up through

Here is Yahoo infor on the actual size of the Lightning.

with the wheelbase 0.1-inch longer, overall length greater by 1 inch, width up by 0.1 inch, and cab height taller by 1.7 inches. Interior space is unchanged. Ground clearance at 8.9 inches is half-an-inch less than the standard 4x4.

it is not necessary to ban them, that, to me, is not the correct way to look at it

A vehicle is actually just a fuel tank, constantly searching for more fuel, while transporting humans

witness the east coast fuel shortages simply caused because the owners of the fuel pipeline could not trust buyers to pay for what they got.
It was shut down mostly because they didn’t trust buyers to pay costs, and 10’s of 1,000’s of vehicles ran out of fuel, as did the stations that supplied them.

{i manufacture 160% of my needed fuel from virtually zero marginal cost sunshine}

If there are virtually no fossil fuel stations to supply unobtainable “go juice”, bans on fossil fuel vehicles won’t matter,
it will be a moot point,
they will become variations on “yard art”, slowly rusting into piles of reddish dust like the 2 on our farm did over 4 decades, trees and brush growing up through

That isn't happening in the next 20 years, at least not in a widespread fashion.

Demand for the go juice is too high.

Norway is at least 7 years ahead of even California in adoption of BEVs.

There is no widespread shutting down go juice stations. Not even in Oslo.

The only thing that would have been better is coils on top of solid or "live" axles so that the ground clearance remains constant.
Disagree here, solid axles do have constant ground clearance, but it's constant lower because of the large differentials, especially the rear in the center of the axle. I've had enough differentials hitting rocks, dirt, and dragging through mud. Independent setup allows the diff to be tucked up higher out of the way. The best setup is portal axles like the military Hummer and the Bollinger.

Ok, I slept on it.
Here are my thoughts on the Lightning and where I think Ford stands compared to Tesla:

Good comments.

The US $7500 tax credit is on the F side.

I am relatively local to a Tesla service center but have multiple F dealerships MUCH closer. Locally available service will be a consideration for many buyers of new technology. Serious plus IMO.

Running your house is a HUGE deal and will really help compensate for lack of a supercharger network.

Overall, F will have few problems selling all they can make. Good for the mission. CT reveal set a bar that F has done well matching, now CT can respond. Let the games begin!

That isn't happening in the next 20 years, at least not in a widespread fashion.

Demand for the go juice is too high.

Norway is at least 7 years ahead of even California in adoption of BEVs.

There is no widespread shutting down go juice stations. Not even in Oslo.
Yes, but surely this is tipping point situation.

There will be enough gas stations for the market until suddenly they are almost all useless.

Norway will certainly be interesting ten years from now in that respect.

Good comments.

The US $7500 tax credit is on the F side.

I am relatively local to a Tesla service center but have multiple F dealerships MUCH closer. Locally available service will be a consideration for many buyers of new technology. Serious plus IMO.

Running your house is a HUGE deal and will really help compensate for lack of a supercharger network.

Overall, F will have few problems selling all they can make. Good for the mission. CT reveal set a bar that F has done well matching, now CT can respond. Let the games begin!
The tax credit will negate the stealership markup

I think most folks don't realize complexity required by V2G, they simply think that you just plugin to regular charger and that's it...

I agree. But I believe that when people here say they want v2g I think they really mean v2h. I am assuming that this is easier to do and what Ford is planning with the lightning. Having v2h would be a huge selling point. We don’t lose power around here much but having the capability to power your house when it happens would be awesome.

I want tesla to make as many teslas as possible. What possible justification is there for making tesla batteries and motors and not putting them in a new tesla? Maybe once tesla have hit 2 million cars a year, perhaps then there might be an argument for it. But until they are easily meeting demand for 3/Y/Semi/S/X/Cybertruck and Roadster, why even contemplate becoming a mere supplier to some legacy company who hates you?
If 8640 is resolved
Tesla needs to go all out and increase their product line
Mini vans, trucks, buses and even cyberTuks

Dan Ives just on CNBC expecting Tesla at 1,000 one year from now.

Dan Ives makes his 1K TSLA price tgt in the final comment in this clip:

TSLA Pre-market Chart as of 08:00 EDT: (the 7 a.m. cowboys are in the paddock)

TSLA.2021-05-20.08-00.png

Cheers!

Anyone recommend a reasonable drone/camera setup?

(I don't believe a factory makes sense with uncertainty over post-Brexit trade. This area does have lots of research/high-tech engineering related to Formula 1 - oh and Starship Technologies - delivery robots)
Check out what the Austin Quad Squad is using - they list their equipment in their youtube posts:

I agree. But I believe that when people here say they want v2g I think they really mean v2h. I am assuming that this is easier to do and what Ford is planning with the lightning. Having v2h would be a huge selling point. We don’t lose power around here much but having the capability to power your house when it happens would be awesome.
Tesla changed home electrical component layout
So for Tesla two-way charge/discharge between car and power wall could easily solve v2h

Would love to see Tesla throw in a power wall with every CT sale or something similar.

Of course also like to lose 5 pounds and win the lottery 🙂