Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Imagine how good sales would be if there was no demand problem. 🤣

Imagine how good sales would be if there was no demand problem. 🤣

You have to admit this happens to be one of the easier comps. Visits from Alameda sheriff down 100% y/y ;)

Will CATL be making the 4680 cell broadly and could there be a licensing revenue stream for Tesla?

Yeah, and that media report said '80GWh is enough for 800K EVs'. That's 100 KWh per car, totally ignoring the point: Tesla ain't gonna be building Models S/X in Shanghai! :p

The new CATL bty plant will be literally walking distance from the new Model 2 plant. 80 GWh of bty packs sized at 40 KWh each is enough supply to build 2 million Models 2 per year.

That should have been the headline! Well, that and "6 million Models 2 will be built per year world-wide" by about 2025-ish... :D

Cheers!

P.S. CATL already has ~75GW/yr capacity under construction elsewhere in China. The entire output of the new Shanghai battery plant will be under contract to Tesla. That's how the 4680 tech gets licensed. (and yes for the bed-wetters, Tesla DOES depend on pace of innovation, not lame-azz moats or patents) :p

Wow! That kind of makes me want a Plaid Model S without even knowing exactly why! This is a first for me.

For years I had to listen to people complain about how the Model S needed a "refresh", how it was getting long in the tooth. I disagreed with these people because I know how much it costs and how disruptive it is. It's better to let the old run itself out, to wring out as much value as possible while only making easy, non-disruptive changes. That lets demand build for the new. Tesla could afford to do it this way because most of their revenue and profits came from the Model 3 and now the Model Y.

It looks like this is going to be more than a "refresh" so typical at legacy auto, it's going to be a huge step-change in functionality in many fundamental ways. Better chassis, better handling and better range and power are pretty much a given. But it sounds like there is much more. The one thing they need to "fix" for me to consider one is the way the previous gen always felt a little bit like a "cave" to me. I just felt too closed in and surrounded compared to the Model 3. This Twitter post is as vague as it could be but I think it indicates ground-breaking changes that the market will react very favorably to.

If so, it indicates the S and X could become a significant portion of profits and further erode luxury ICE sales.

Way Off Topic:

It's Sunday and the stock market is closed. But this is the anniversary of a hugely important day in modern history.

D-Day - June 6, 1944

When broadcast “breaking news” was truly significant, and not just hourly click-bait.

My late godfather Charles "Chuck" Brooks, long-time editorial cartoonist for the Birmingham News, was part of the invasion and thereafter always celebrated June 6th as a holiday.

Thank you for that Curt. Really makes you realize just how important that day was in civilized history. Imagine sitting with your ears glued to the radio, almost has me in tears. Definitely the greatest generation!

This was posted yesterday (pictures dated "June") from the inside of GF Berlin, quite impressive I must say:

AF1QipNp2OHEoligXvPoWmlCqsf-E4PptuQCBZjzGzxP=w1440-h2050-p-k-no

Whole gallery:

For brokers who lent shares out this would be an absolute headache. They would have customers coming at them for these extra shares, and have to make good on them. Any synthetic share would be a debit they have to take right out of the blue. And customers who sold short, would not really always be responsible, or able to be tracked down, leveraged etc to pay that up. In short, carnage for multiple types of people involved in shorting. How can we make this happen?

And, make it happen with minimal warning. Two weeks notice to maximize damage.

Concerns from FUDsters can be easily anticipated (and neutralized). Do the Rights Offering immediately after the 10-Q drops so a strong and growing cash position demonstrates the folly of the 'needs cash' FUD. Point out that you weren't diluted if you are a long term investor: the longer, the better you did (and by implication, the better you will do in the future).

Combine the Rights offering with a 2:1 share dividend so a rising tide lifts all boats. Point out to the day- and swing-traders that if they were doing it right, they made far more money practicing their craft than long-term'ers are getting through the Rights offering. But they want their unfair share, and don't care about reason (Too bad, So sad. Cry me a river).

Woody paper tears.gif

Point out that the Rights offering merely makes long-term investors whole, and that the Rights offering is partially to encourage long-term investing. Rights could also be granted for X.com "linked" companies too: Starlink, Neuralink, Hyper-Bora-link... :p

Do this now while the TSLA share price is low, so that Rights owners are encouraged to hold (not sell) due to imminent SP appreciation (Plaid S/X, 4680s, Berlin, Texas, FSD, Model 2 in the pipeline): "Most exciting product lineup in the world". Now who said that again? (you were warned)

Finally, for those whinging about "fairness", you want to sell your cake and eat it too? Sold. EZ 2 spot the traders up in here! This Rights offering would be the moral equivalent of stock options issued to employees: its a financial reward for long service and hard work (something we long-term investors understand well).

Or do you prefer the freeloader diva "team leader" who rides in the middle of the peleton 5 hrs a day, then sprints out to grab the gold in the final 400 m? (obligatory TdF reference) :p

Cheers!

Last edited:
This was posted yesterday (pictures dated "June") from the inside of GF Berlin, quite impressive I must say:

AF1QipNp2OHEoligXvPoWmlCqsf-E4PptuQCBZjzGzxP=w1440-h2050-p-k-no

Whole gallery:
They are gonna need to put ceilings on those cages or the robots will escape and flee to a VW factory where they won't have to work as hard.