Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's a more recent example (2 wks ago from a $1.87B Mkt Cap company traded as NYSE: GAB)

Gabelli Equity Trust Announces Rights Offering for Shares of ... https://www.businesswire.com › news › home › Gabelli...

May 19, 2021 — The Board of Directors of The Gabelli Equity Trust Inc. (NYSE:GAB) (the ... for Shares of Common Stock Record Date and Summary of Terms.​
so ~20% instant gain.....
what’s not to like?
instant double decimate the shortz (decimate = reduce 10%)
reward HODL
smack hands of traders just a bit
gently and subtly point out to options traders and holders they may lose out (everything)
reduce volatility?
maybe some lessening of counterfeit shares

Last edited:
I have had such rights issued to me for a European stock I own. The rights had their owner ticker symbol and were tradeable like a stock untill the end date of the rights...
Rights offerings are very common in the UK :
The majority of UK rights offers are for companies listed on AIM, thus smaller ones. The major intention of such offers there is to help growth of smaller firms while allowing early investors to maintain control positions if they wish to do so.

in this thread there are a couple examples of declining companies issuing rights offers because they had weak sources of liquidity.

Tesla probably would not do any such offer, mostly because first, they do not need capital injections and second, in the US these are not so readily accepted as in other places like the UK.
Some of us seem to think that this would be a good, if gimmicky, way to penalize shorts. Really this would open many new avenues for question.

Stock splits, though, are a time honored way to make shares more accessible to smaller investors. In the current world of partial share sales that is perhaps less necessary. Still, with the popularity of TSLA to younger investors plus t enthusiasm of that demographic for Tesla product and video games it seem that a stock split is probably a good idea.

A similarly positioned company, Apple, regularly splits to keep share prices well below $200. That has been a wise move, partially because shareholders tend to become avid buyers of their products, and the most frequent upgrades too. (I offer no evidence for this assertion, all that is proprietary).

We have no authoritative data regarding the extent of TSLA holdings by Tesla buyers. We do that this thread no several others. They all are fairly active with substantial readership. In addition there are the odd comments from Elon and others about the activity of individual investors.

Thus, I think they will have a stock split again very soon. I do not think they’ll fool around with gimmicks like rights issues. OTOH, neither the SEC nor any other agency is likely to curt short sellers including the ever-present ‘rolling fails’. This subject is periodically raised, most often between custodians, the DTC (Depositary Trust Company) and other fiduciary entities.

Note: I haven’t worked with this stuff since a couple of decades when I was working with Global Custody, Global Master Trust, Registrar and related products. The issues of market maker abuse and fraud, settlement fails and countless other technical risks were t the center of the product viability.

If anybody is really interested in details and history there is abundant documentation directly and indirectly connected. Abuses, legal and illegal, have been pretty much worldwide. Check out VW/Porsche to see how ridiculous a short squeeze can be. Most companies destroyed by FUD have been small and/or weak.

So, in my very humble opinion, Tesla would be poorly served to use gimmicks, especially since a routine split or two can achieve similar goals without the histrionics.

so ~20% instant gain.....
what’s not to like?
instant double decimate the shortz (decimate = reduce 10%)
reward HODL
smack hands of traders just a bit
gently and subtly point out to options traders and holders they may lose out
reduce volatility?
maybe some lessening of counterfeit shares
Thank you for using the word "decimate" appropriately. :) Its misapplication in common instances of late is rampant.

As for the topic at hand, I'd prefer a split, as this will stand to benefit more shareholders while still squeezing the shorties nicely.

Edit: thanks @mongo, fixt!

Last edited:
I have had such rights issued to me for a European stock I own. The rights had their owner ticker symbol and were tradeable like a stock untill the end date of the rights. I had to inform my broker that I wanted to execute the rights. (Otherwise I’d have had to sell them).
If you would be short the stock, you’d also be short the rights. I assume you’d have to buy them back before the end date.
If the rights were issued for a low price compared to the current stock price, I’d think the situation would be similar to being short deep in the money calls: very painfull.

Edit: so a shorter would suddenly be in the possession of a short term deep-in-the-money short call position.
please for a newbie to options..
.i only accumulate, HODL. DCA, occasionally sell to my everlasting sorrow years ago

is the above saying something like the stock price went massively up and they need to FTD or go bankwupt? like Chanos? rt al.

But wouldn't this just cause further dilution? How is that fair to anyone who bought shares in August 2018 instead of say June 2018? Also wouldn't the major benefactor of this be Elon? While we might no have much of a problem with this I can see a very major backlash about 'billionaires enriching themselves'. In todays media world there is zero chance that wouldn't happen.
Would this be a way for Elon to realize some cash, (by selling his “rights shares”), without violating his pledge to be “last out?”

Not entirely unrelated to Tesla. I watched your video pontificating about electric motorcycles (along with a few others). I agree with your thoughts of Tesla battery technology making it to motorbikes, it’s just a matter of time. Reading through the comments it’s clear that motorcyclists as a group tend to have a higher proportion of gearheads than car drivers do so adoption might be slower. That’s okay as it gives time for the battery tech and charging infrastructure to improve. That’s needed as there’s not a lot of space to put the batteries in a bike and certainly don’t want the bike getting too heavy.

Excellent discourse with your commenters too. Setting the e-mobility record straight, one rider at a time!

Thanks for watching!

Yep, I've been surprised just how resistant the motorcycle community is to electric bikes. I plan to do many more videos about the electric future of transportation, including motorcycles, in an attempt to broaden some people's horizons.

Because let's face it, motorcycle riders who begin thinking about electric bikes will also begin considering electric cars as well, which helps Tesla's mission.

Not sure if this has been posted previously.

Screen Shot 2021-06-06 at 6.51.09 AM.png

Thanks for watching!

Yep, I've been surprised just how resistant the motorcycle community is to electric bikes. I plan to do many more videos about the electric future of transportation, including motorcycles, in an attempt to broaden some people's horizons.

Because let's face it, motorcycle riders who begin thinking about electric bikes will also begin considering electric cars as well, which helps Tesla's mission.
Zero was demoing at Americade in 2018 (I think). Took one for a spin. Easily equal to my 2010 Buell Ulysses with race ECM. Thrilling! Sounds a little different but …

Issuing new shares is dilutive to anyone who is not granted them. In a capital raise, shares that are issued at a fair price will increase the market cap to counter the dilution.

However, cum rights sounds dilutive to anyone who is not receiving the rights. Everyone who does not receive their proportionate amount of new shares will be upset. Unless cum rights are excluded only from someone who agrees not to receive them. But why would he do that?

Slow Sun, if we turn off CRYPTO & CUM ;) ( the latter is even more speculative than the 1st. that says a lot)

A senior CATL official tells Reuters the company wants to expand its relationship with Tesla and supply half of the batteries Tesla uses in its electric vehicles and Powerwall energy storage devices worldwide

(+ Me thinks, 4680 form factor will be used - because Format factor is key part of the new body structural architecture)

Last edited:
In case anyone needs something to be thankful for this weekend: it seems like the removal of radar could have been a much larger disruption than it ended up being.

Digging back into the Upgrades page code, Tesla had written some contingency text for the event that Autopilot and FSD had to be disabled for a few weeks:

"autopilotWillBeInactive": "Autopilot and Full Self-Driving features are temporarily inactive and will be rolled out in the weeks ahead via over-the-air updates.",

For all the social media controversy over the 75 MPH Autopilot speed limit, imagine what the response would have been if all new 3/Y had more features disabled.

Goes to show how quickly Tesla's Autopilot team can adapt to changing circumstances. This one must have come down to the wire.

So it’s only after announced and won’t affect existing shares?
Indeed.
In the case I had, it was as part of a larger capital raise, where capital was raised at a low share price due to the urgency of the capital raise. The existing shareholders got the rights to take part of that capital raise at a special share price so as to prevent diluting their share of the company. So totally not the same situation as Tesla is in, but still the same mechanics.