Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Issuing new shares is dilutive to anyone who is not granted them. In a capital raise, shares that are issued at a fair price will increase the market cap to counter the dilution.

However, cum rights sounds dilutive to anyone who is not receiving the rights. Everyone who does not receive their proportionate amount of new shares will be upset. Unless cum rights are excluded only from someone who agrees not to receive them. But why would he do that?
In my experience granting rights to existing shareholders is usually a somewhat desperate move to raise capital. Often, traditional PIPES, etc. are too expensive, fee-wise as well as a deep discount-to-prevailing market price. Not to mention, Tesla is not in need of a raise. If rights are in the works at all, I believe it would have to do with cutting Tesla shareholders into a Starlink IPO.

NY releases GF Buffalo employment numbers

The documents obtained through a Freedom of Information Law request with Empire State Development claim, "As of May 28, 2021, Tesla's New York State headcount now stands at 1,665 including the current GFNY [Gigafactory New York] headcount in Buffalo of 1,058."

Right now, that is nearly 500 jobs short of the company's pledge.

However, Tesla does have until December 31 to meet its goal, after being granted an extension due to hardships caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.

The downside of this would be if you don’t have the cash or means of getting the cash to buy the discounted shares....unless I would be allowed to sell a portion of my current shares to then buy the discounted shares
And available cash in the same / tax efficient accounts too.

I think there's a possibility of a Cum Rights offering (Cum Rights) for Tesla, and also a possibility of a SpaceX / Boring / Neuralink / X linkup.

Interesting, potentially very rewarding long term but perplexing as to how I could buy the shares or sell the rights within my UK ISA or SIPP Pension with no cash available, and even if I could borrow it, limits on how much can be paid in. Answer would seem to be a variety of borrowing money, selling some Tesla, selling Cum Rights separately (aka as "nil-paid rights" I believe - What is a Rights Issue? Everything You Need To Know - Shifting Shares).

"if you have maxed out your ISA allowance (currently £20,000 per annum) then you can’t add additional capital in order to take up your additional shares. Luckily, there is a solution here, as we can tail-swallow and sell some of our rights and use the proceeds to fund our entitlement. "

I'm sure there might be difficulties in a variety of countries / low tax investment/retirement structures

We've really done it. We've used "Canada, USA, Mexico" and 💦🚀 as legit evidence that Tesla will reward long term shareholders with additional shares at a significant discount to the market.

images(3).jpg

Zero was demoing at Americade in 2018 (I think). Took one for a spin. Easily equal to my 2010 Buell Ulysses with race ECM. Thrilling! Sounds a little different but …
The place where electric motorcycles really shine is off-road…so, Dirtbike’s, enduros, motocross, etc.

Without all that noise you really are more in tune with your vehicle and the terrain, which is a huge advantage in my opinion.

My good friend had a Harley. He ‘loved’ the shirt I got him a few years back. I could never get a picture of him wearing it… And I’m pretty sure it’s been converted to a rag for cleaning up oil drips (yes, they leak from the factory)

DE6D4B4F-28D2-4DDB-A2B4-33F3CA046DF2.jpeg

Last edited:
Dunno! This is literal terra incognito to me! But wikipedia has this to say on the subject: (some basics)

Rights issue - Wikipedia

Stock dilution​

Rights offerings offset the dilutive effect of issuing more shares. For this reason, stock-exchange rules don't require that shareholders approve rights offerings if the company offers at least 20% of outstanding shares at a discount.[1]:1 Because rights offerings are unpopular, companies typically choose them as a last resort, perhaps due to insufficient investor demand.[2]

Tax treatment in the United States​

If rights are exercised, they aren't taxed. Like with an ordinary security purchase, taxation happens when the security is sold. The cost basis of the shares is "the subscription price plus the tax basis for the exercised rights".[3] The holding period begins at the time of exercise.[3][4]

If rights are let to expire, they don't count as a deductible loss,[3] as they have no tax basis in this case.[4]
Not overly helpful as it relates to a troubled company (unlike Tesla) What is a Rights Issue? Everything You Need To Know - Shifting Shares

"Rights issues are usually done when a company needs more capital. It is therefore a sign that the company could be in trouble, and this can have a negative effect on the stock price.

It can also be a sign that the company’s profits are in distress.

On 1 October 2020 Rolls Royce (RR.) announced a proposed recapitalisation in the form of a rights issue.

Below is the chart of Rolls Royce. I’ve drawn an arrow on the day the company announced the rights issue. We can see that the price initially fell, only to rise above the price at the announcement a few days later."

Also includes a UK example timeline (NOT USA!). Record date in this example is just before Rights Issue. Again, not as Dodger described (as a reward for long holders)

1622997338633.png

EDIT: (after 1 hr)

To further extend my "12.94% dilution" example for TSLA shares purchased before Aug 03, 2018 we'd have to prorate the size of the equivalent "DITM Call contract" for the number of shares owned by the TSLA shareholder. So the shortseller would be on the hook to purchase about $68.9K worth of shares (based on 600 SP) for every thousand shares they sold short . Ooch!

In this example, for each 1,000 shares owned by the long-term TSLA investor, the short-seller who borrowed those shares and sold them short would owe the equivalent of about a 130 share DITM Call contract to the owner of those 1,000 shares.

Indeed, it may be slightly less than 130 shares if Tesla only counts dilution from shares issued in cap raises and convertible bonds, but specifically excludes dilution from normal stock-based compensation (SBC) to employees, officers and directors of Tesla. This would exclude dilution from Elon's 2018 CEO comp. plan (which was approved in a separate vote by shareholders).

Cheers!
For brokers who lent shares out this would be an absolute headache. They would have customers coming at them for these extra shares, and have to make good on them. Any synthetic share would be a debit they have to take right out of the blue. And customers who sold short, would not really always be responsible, or able to be tracked down, leveraged etc to pay that up. In short, carnage for multiple types of people involved in shorting. How can we make this happen?

I spent the past two days crewing a friend run 112 miles across Connecticut so I’m not updated here. What is the info that came out that we’re now discussing this share offering? Just the two CUM tweets? Am I screwed that I sold before the covid dip and bought back twice the amount near the bottom? Some, but not all, are long term now.

PS the Model Y was the perfect vehicle for all this. I’d set the car to LOW and pop her in the car to recover during the height of the heat yesterday. Also my wife and I slept in the vehicle no problem. The car continues to sell itself even at ultramarathon events.

232A210A-60C0-4922-A433-86FA180E5F18.jpeg
0A253126-9889-41EC-B9DC-7ABA6D4813A8.jpeg
77BD60B6-1623-411E-BB35-40633D70CD27.jpeg

I spent the past two days crewing a friend run 112 miles across Connecticut so I’m not updated here. What is the info that came out that we’re now discussing this share offering? Just the two CUM tweets? Am I screwed that I sold before the covid dip and bought back twice the amount near the bottom? Some, but not all, are long term now.

Yes, you screwed yourself by doubling the amount of your shares at the pandemic low.

Not overly helpful as it relates to a troubled company (unlike Tesla) What is a Rights Issue? Everything You Need To Know - Shifting Shares

"Rights issues are usually done when a company needs more capital. It is therefore a sign that the company could be in trouble, and this can have a negative effect on the stock price.

On 1 October 2020 Rolls Royce (RR.) announced a proposed recapitalisation in the form of a rights issue.

Below is the chart of Rolls Royce. I’ve drawn an arrow on the day the company announced the rights issue. We can see that the price initially fell, only to rise above the price at the announcement a few days later."

Also includes a UK example timeline (NOT USA!). Record date in this example is just before Rights Issue. Again, not as Dodger described (as a reward for long holders)

View attachment 670267
Looks to be a last ditch effort to raise some cash by selling shares at a massive discount. Maybe we can reverse split while we are at it.

View attachment 670267
In UK-specific terms we need to distinguish between main armlet and AIM companies. Main market are usually in trouble if they issue rights. AIM has dsmaaler, often rapidly growing companies, so rights issues are often used to protect positions of early investors. They are really identical structures but with totally different purposes. On the other hand raising debt for AIM listed companies is usually more expensive precisely because they are smaller and less stable.

Regardless, this is an incredibly boneheaded idea for Tesla. Oops, I did not mince words on that opinion.

Wouldn't it make some crazy sense to do an offering for Starlink and set some fantastical dates in the future?

1.) Shareholders of record on XX/XX/XXXX
2.) Held until XX/XX/XXXX

Existing share holders preannouncement would benefit from the FOMO and squeeze.

Seems more plausible and effective to me than announcing something retroactive that creates potential litigation issues?

Way Off Topic:

It's Sunday and the stock market is closed. But this is the anniversary of a hugely important day in modern history.

D-Day - June 6, 1944

When broadcast “breaking news” was truly significant, and not just hourly click-bait.

My late godfather Charles "Chuck" Brooks, long-time editorial cartoonist for the Birmingham News, was part of the invasion and thereafter always celebrated June 6th as a holiday.