Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The new S & X line-up could look like:

Here's my guess as to what an ideal 'range table' and range based naming scheme of the new variants would look like:
Standard Range
Mid Range
Long Range
Very Long Range
[TD2] Model 3 range [/TD2] [TD2] pack size [/TD2] [TD2] Model S/X range [/TD2] [TD2] pack size [/TD2] [TD2] 220 miles (est.) [/TD2] [TD2] 55 kWh (est.) [/TD2] [TD2]   [/TD2] [TD2]   [/TD2] [TD2] 264 miles [/TD2] [TD2] 67 kWh [/TD2] [TD2]   [/TD2] [TD2]   [/TD2] [TD2] 310 miles [/TD2] [TD2] 80 kWh [/TD2] [TD2] 310 miles (est.) [/TD2] [TD2] 90 kWh (est.) [/TD2] [TD2]   [/TD2] [TD2]   [/TD2] [TD2] 405 miles (est.) [/TD2] [TD2] 120 kWh (est.) [/TD2]

Note how smooth the upgrade path from the Model 3 to the S/X becomes with such a unified naming scheme, but the S/X also maintains its 'premium upgrade' nature by not offering 'Mid Range' and 'Standard Range' options.

This naming scheme allows Tesla to offer 'Long Range' options both for the 3 and the S/X, while the battery pack sizes are different: 80 kWh for the 3, ~90 kWh -ish for the S/X.

Also note that by changing the marketing to "range based" Tesla puts legacy OEMs under pressure from two directions:
  • Tesla has the largest battery packs that OEMs have trouble keeping up with
  • Tesla has the highest efficiency EV powertrain that OEMs have trouble keeping up with
For an OEM to be able to directly compete with Tesla they'll have to match both pack size and efficiency.

I like the 'very long range' name, as it directly addresses range anxiety, which still exists and is prominent in many ICE vehicle owners. Tesla might have different plans though. :D

Last edited:
While I congratulate you on your trade, I'd like to point out to newer investors that people mostly boast about their successful trades (such as the above) and rarely about their unsuccessful trades.

If the above read (example):
Buy 164 x 328 @ 08.01.2017
Had to hold forever hoping it would recover after the stock tanking the next day. Still holding strong in 2019!

We would never read about it here.

TL;DR know the risk of every trade, even the "this can't lose" ones
Bending over dollars to pick up pennies.

The value of effectively demonstrating this freedom, support, and capability back in the US should not be underestimated. If it can be used to open the eyes of those in power and in industry it could easily effect billions of dollars worth of changes and improvements here in government both in subsidies and education policies.

I'm a dreamer, but if it only changed the evidence of the technical background we require of our leaders, it would help immeasurably; wouldn't it be great if voters had been discussing candidate's technical backgrounds vs. the religious nonsense that affeced elections all through the pathetic, embarrassing Reagan years and through the present.

I am starting to see some of the technical influences of their leaders showing through the products.

Here in asia, this year I am seeing quite a few surprising hardware products that are better than what we get in NA. It took China several decades but it feels like they have finally cuaght on and are making breaktheoughs and even pioneering in certain areas.

Maybe the techs were still invented in usa first, but in terms of quality of the products manufactured, made in China is the only ones I can find branded on these product. For examole, their LiPo rechargeable batteries are pretty hogh quality in terms of degradation and energy density(relevant to tsla)

Maybe this is because of their leader's engineering background, maybe not. We'll know in the next decade. Pioneering new products will be different from catching up and copying.

Last edited:
I am starting to see some of the technical influences of their leaders showing through the products.

Here in asia, this year I am seeing quite a few surprising hardware products that are better than what we get in NA. It took China several decades but it feels like they have finally cuaght on and are making breaktheoughs and even pioneering in certain areas.

Maybe the techs were still invented in usa first, but in terms of quality of the products manufactured, made in China is the only ones branded on these product.

Maybe this is because of their leader's engineering background, maybe not. We'll know in the next decade. Pioneering new products will be different from catching up and copying.
I'm not interested in WAITING another decade. Let's excel in tech now, from the lowliest worker through the Elons, Senators, and presidents among us.

...you know, how hard would it be for Tesla to move to a Model 3 rear drive unit in the non-Performance Model S/X?

It's probably too small to work in the Performance models, but that could improve efficiency (and range), while also improving the cooling situation relative to the current motor, and potentially reducing costs through parts sharing.

Elon used to say the 100 is the upper limit on the current cells as they can`t fit more in the pack. Now they may redesign the pack for higher power charging (Supercharger v3) with better cooling anyway and also eke out a bit more juice due to chemistry improvements, say we could get a 100 kWh. But if we get anything like a 120 pack, I`d be very surprised to see that on 18650.
This is a very important point. While some are concerned about the cost of redesign to accommodate a cell that is 5mm (1/4 inch) taller, it may be absolutely necessary to do so to get to a pack that has substantially more than 100kWh capacity. Longer term for the Model S/X to command a premium price it will have to offer longer range options.

So it will need not only a bigger battery, but a cheaper battery too. Let's suppose that the current 18650 pack is at about $170/kWh (shout out if you have better estimates) maxed out at 100kWh ($17k for the pack). Suppose Tesla sees a way to get to a 2170 pack at $100/kWh that can accommodate up to 150kWh. So they bite the cost and offer a 120kWh ($12k) and 150 kWh ($15k). With these options they can offer the 120kWh at the same price as the old 18650 100kWh price point and boost gross margin by $5k. They can also offer the 150 at a $20k premium to the 120 version and obtain an incremental $22k in gross profit over the old 18650-based 100kWh version. The margin on S/X goes up maybe $10k/veh, so this is an incremental profit contribution of $1B on 100k cars. Also they would be in a position to increase total S/X production from 100k/yr to 150 or more. This brings in an incremental profit contribution of about $2B. So all told the investment in redesign and building out new production capacity can contribute an extra $3B annually to the bottom line.

The fantasy above is all predicated on Tesla seeing a way to a battery pack cost of $100/kWh. Musk has been clear that he expects this by 2020. So if all is going well, $100/kWh is already in sight for 2019.

Are we still on track for the Roadster in 2020? This will need a 200kWh pack, right? Imagine the awkwardness of offering a 600 mile range 200 kWh for the Roadster in 2020 while Performance S/X are still limited to a 300 mile range on a 100kWh. Clearly Tesla is doing the R&D to make the Roadster pack possible. I think Tesla will want to offer a 150kWh version of S/X to fill the gap between the S/X 100kWh and the Roadster. I hope they can roll this out in 2019.

...you know, how hard would it be for Tesla to move to a Model 3 rear drive unit in the non-Performance Model S/X?

It's probably too small to work in the Performance models, but that could improve efficiency (and range), while also improving the cooling situation relative to the current motor, and potentially reducing costs through parts sharing.

This seems the most likely "major" (e.g. non-cosmetic) change. Tons of benefits (range, efficiency, track endurance). The component being swapped out is non-structural (battery packs are structural elements). Frees up Fremont space. Doesn't free up things made by Tesla/Panasonic for third parties to buy and use against Tesla in the marketplace. Not constrained by Panasonic. New motors are much cheaper than new battery packs. And perhaps most importantly, if anything developed for Model 3 has gone according to plan, it's been the drive units - their production is almost fully automated and has long run smoothly.

Would still be quite capital intensive, and only justified when they have to in order to keep maxing out their sales. But it shouldn't be nearly as much as a battery pack change, and lacks 90% of said disadvantages of a battery change.

As a side bar to this I see once we cut thro' all the JLR job losses U.K. Is getting a new battery plant and at another location motor/power Train? Plant.
Yes, JLR are quite well placed versus the German OEMs further into the future. They are not defined by their engine tech and so have to jump to Elec. However, could they lose 30% or more sales before they start climbing again?

Would still be quite capital intensive.

It's not necessarily capital intensive: Tesla plans to use Model 3 drive units for the Semi as well - naively I'd expect it to be natural to use 2-4 of them in the Model S/X as well (two in the back, one per rear wheel, one or two in the front).

In the Tesla Pickup Truck I'd be very surprised if they didn't use four Model 3 drive units, one per wheel. That allows superior off-roading features.

Expansion of motor production is planned for the Semi, the Y and higher unit counts for Standard Range 3 anyway.

I'd be very happy with a car that if it was a bit cheaper, but Elon said "Tesla doesn't make slow cars"...

Are we still on track for the Roadster in 2020? This will need a 200kWh pack, right? Imagine the awkwardness of offering a 600 mile range 200 kWh for the Roadster in 2020 while Performance S/X are still limited to a 300 mile range on a 100kWh. Clearly Tesla is doing the R&D to make the Roadster pack possible. I think Tesla will want to offer a 150kWh version of S/X to fill the gap between the S/X 100kWh and the Roadster. I hope they can roll this out in 2019.

It is worth noting that the Roadster is a different unibody, and Musk has implied that the Roadster is using something along the lines of a double-stack S/X pack architecture (which almost implies that it's actually still on 18650?)

I'd be very happy with a car that, but Elon said "Tesla doesn't make slow cars"...

Model 3 rear drive unit already supports more power than the small induction rear drive unit in the S/X 75D/100D, so it wouldn't necessarily be a slow car. What I'm proposing is to replace the existing rear drive unit with a Model 3 rear drive unit, but leave the front alone, and also leave the Performance alone (unless Tesla wants to go to a dual Model 3 rear drive unit, or make a larger PMSRM motor for Performance S/X).