Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
n the Tesla Pickup Truck I'd be very surprised if they didn't use four Model 3 drive units, one per wheel. That allows superior off-roading features.

I like redundancy but there is a point where complexity rears it's ugly head - 9 speed transmissions anyone. Model 3 drive units also contain magnets that may have a supply issue as volume grows. It will be interesting to see how he goes.

Isn't there a plan to move Panasonic's 18650 cell production to the Gigafactory? Or was that just meant to be an org-chart rejig? If the former, momentarily curtailing some Model S&X production to coincide with other planned changes might be useful.

Tesla has the cell output to maintain an easily communicable advantage viz the vehicles of aspiring competitors.

Maybe they could redirect the 18650 supply to China? They could probably make a new SR battery pack with it, and it would be easier to ship them to China than the US from Japan.

If switching to 2170s saved only $100 a pack ($1 a kWh ignoring all the module and assembly cost savings), that is $10 million a year in additional profit. Seems like ROI is a no brainer.

It might be a no brainer for Tesla, but Panasonic might have to be incentivized to the point where it is a no-brainer for them too.

Maybe they could redirect the 18650 supply to China? They could probably make a new SR battery pack with it, and it would be easier to ship them to China than the US from Japan.

Chinese Consumers would think they are getting goods below par if only China M3s use 18650.

18650 should be used for Storage and 2170 for all cars going forward ...(simple)

Optics on that is not good. China still hates japan. Evidence in panasonic not being able to follow tsla into china gigafactory.

This is not just hate between governments. It's a deeper racial hatred.

Same thinking here: my uncertainty mainly comes from the "What to do with the 18,650 output??" question. Maybe Tesla and Panasonic have something smart planned out.

Intuitively I'd say that because the 18,650 contract is running out pretty soon, Tesla would be fool to introduce a new 18,650 battery pack just to phase it out later in the year or early next year?

Also, now that the tax credit is phasing out and Q1 S/X demand is seasonally soft anyway, why not just use the opportunity and really beef up the S/X battery pack?

So I'm torn. The minimal scenario is that in 4 days Tesla will phase out the 75D variants and that's it.

But there's a lot of advantages to the 2170 introduction, so I think (hope) that Tesla is going there.

A not-so drastic route would be:
1) Continue to use all available 18650 cells for unchanged 100 kWh Model S/X packs (for the time being), and
2) Introduce a 120 kWh 2170-based Model S/X pack (and then later on),
3) Discontinue the use of 18650 cells.

Optics on that is not good. China still hates japan. Evidence in panasonic not being able to follow tsla into china gigafactory.

This is not just hate between governments. It's a deeper racial hatred.
Please don't say these things without a little bit of research. Panasonic has had a battery plant in Dalian for some time, Dalian being an area where there are lots of Japanese-speaking people and a fairly long history of Japanese investment. One need not foment ancient rivalries. You might also need to check on Japanese consumer products companies that have had success in China.
Panasonic Factory in Dalian, China Begins Mass Production and Shipments of Automotive Lithium-ion Batteries | Headquarters News | Panasonic Newsroom Global

As for all those imagining Panasonic would move obsolescent and aging battery production lines to China it might be advisable to realize that China is no longer a technological backwater. Since the Panasonic plant mentioned just above is producing prismatic cells for automotive applications and cell form factors are now becoming quite variable, it's wise to recall that the spectacular Panasonic/Tesla 18650's are being phased out. Nobody anywhere will choose them for new applications and Tesla will soon eliminate them too.

I have no desire to be rude, but we all should understand what is actually happening. Panasonic itself will not produce 18650's any more once Tesla redesigns Model S and X battery packs. That is coming soon, is it not?

Yes, JLR are quite well placed versus the German OEMs further into the future. They are not defined by their engine tech and so have to jump to Elec. However, could they lose 30% or more sales before they start climbing again?
Yes indeed having sold the dream to the badge gullible who could afford it and the ones who couldn't via PCP. ( in the U.K.) it wasn't a surprise to see a sales dip, additionally many owners beyond warranty having their wallets drained at the stealerships for repairs does go some way to minimising "churn"

• Informative
Reactions: Buckminster
OT

Elon to Orange Baby: help me out - your Tarifs are killing us
Orange Baby: . . . .
Elon to Orange Baby: Okay...I’ll go it alone
Orange Baby: . . . . .
Elon: Dear Premier Li....help us out
Premier Li to Elon: Sure!
Elon to Orange Baby:....drops mic....
Orange Baby: Cheesburger?

On the topic of Musk and premier Li Keqiang, Li offered a Chinese Green card to Musk after Musk had said he loved the country and wanted to visit more often.

This was reported in the Diplomacy section of the South China Morning Post:

Elon Musk says he loves China, so premier offers him a green card

Testing, 123... jhm, can you see me? If you actually blocked me (due to my criticizing your violation of the thread rules), then I want to make it symmetric so that I don't see your posts but have you not see my responses to them. Because that would be a waste of my time, obviously. (You would be the only person I've ever blocked if so).

@jhm
OT: @jhm @KarenRei

Guys... I don`t mind when we block the trolls, but you are both long standing valued members. We are all friends here, right? Maybe try to deescalate rather than add fuel to the (battery) fire.

Guys... I don`t mind when we block the trolls, but you are both long standing valued members. We are all friends here, right? Maybe try to deescalate rather than add fuel to the (battery) fire.

I'd prefer that. But I don't control what jhm decides. And the block apparently already occurred, so that's out of my hands.

Probably needs twice as powerful drive units as the 3 though - with a higher mass and a lot more acceleration required.

Plus the Roadster 2 will also have a high performance EV compressor for the compressed-air COPV.
That and Elon mentioned before that the S is their flagship and they`ll introduce all the new goodies there first. Yes, the roadster could also be considered a halo product / flagship now, but honestly, with all the big ICE companies announcing their new EVs that now start to catch up with the 2012 Model S in price/performance/range/charge speed and styling, I wouldn`t mind if Tesla upped their game and reminded everyone who`s the boss. While they are at it they could announce the interior refresh with HW3 as well. Just saying... :D

This a 100x! Pls. folks - the tone has gotten a little worse lately here... I really would like to thank everyone for your valuable contributions. And I very much think we should be strong enough to not try to win internet arguments with dissenting voices but just letting them stand so everyone can make up their own mind.

Back on topic: Is it just me or is the MMD not what it used to be? I feel with bad macros we started in the red, but there seems to be quite a bit of upward pressure... Time to get more gucci bags? ;-)

Maybe Elon is on his way to Saarlouis Germany to save a Ford factory as GF4 Europe :rolleyes:
It's close to Grohmann, to France, to Belgium... as he was looking for...
Ford Europe: Thousands of jobs to be cut in overhaul - CNN

As a side note on the "Tesla Killer" meme, the article has zero mention of batteries and electric drivetrains, with the closest being speculation on a collaboration with VW on "autonomous cars and other technology".

Take the high road, Karen ;)

If I were to unblock him, then I'd see their posts, and end up replying to them sometimes, but my posts would disappear into the aether. It'd be a waste of my time. I made my "can you see me?" post just to make sure they had actually blocked me, because I really didn't want to block them. I don't even block trolls. But I apparently had been blocked for criticizing their violation of the thread rules... so my choices were A) see things that I might respond to at some point but for which the replies will never be seen, or B) not see them, and thus not waste my time writing responses that will never be seen.

Surely you can see that B) was the only realistic choice. As much as I don't want that. But - if you ever hear that jhm has unblocked me, then just let me know and I'll gladly unblock them. That, however, is something I don't control.

This a 100x! Pls. folks - the tone has gotten a little worse lately here... I really would like to thank everyone for your valuable contributions. And I very much think we should be strong enough to not try to win internet arguments with dissenting voices but just letting them stand so everyone can make up their own mind.

Back on topic: Is it just me or is the MMD not what it used to be? I feel with bad macros we started in the red, but there seems to be quite a bit of upward pressure... Time to get more gucci bags? ;-)

It's looking MMD-ish, just starting from a negative point. We've now pretty much caught up to Nasdaq; we used to be well behind it.

Reactions: SebastianR