Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a way to tell how much TslaQ or shorties are suffering?

Not to gloat or pile on the suffering you understand... much.
I'm 75% up on the Tesla short. :) I expect more short opportunities to come, I'm monitoring FSD performance to try to determine what (if anything) they can do this year with unsupervised FSD. The stock hasn't done much for the past 3.5 years (besides oscillate), so there are good chances you'll find people who lost/made money on both sides of the argument.

Yup, I think you make very good points. I'm not specifically saying Farley is bad or evil in any way, but as you say, he just structurally cannot do what needs to be done. It does sound like he is doing what he can, but it is nowhere near enough. The comparison with Diess is a good one.
I don't see a way Ford/GM get saved other than by yet another taxpayer bailout, which will push their unpopularity and damage the brands. Maybe they need that, so that a government bailout comes with dramatic strings attached regarding EV targets.
The trouble is that Trump hates EVs, and Biden loves unions. In neither case would a bailout that forces change be acceptable. The only other scenario I can imagine is EV tariffs not just on China but ALL imports, and the US lags the world in EV adoption (apart from a truly dominant Tesla). Great news for me as a shareholder, but not for the mission :(.

Wonderful how the "state of EV-affairs” has been summarised in your short post. Compliments.

Reactions: UkNorthampton
People say they won’t buy a Tesla because of Elon’s politics. 🙄

Well… I won’t buy from VW, GM and others for the COMPANY actions.

The only problem with this is the decimal point in the fine is one too few places to the right. $146 M is about the same to GM as a $1.46 fine would be to me.

Yup, I think you make very good points. I'm not specifically saying Farley is bad or evil in any way, but as you say, he just structurally cannot do what needs to be done. It does sound like he is doing what he can, but it is nowhere near enough. The comparison with Diess is a good one.
I don't see a way Ford/GM get saved other than by yet another taxpayer bailout, which will push their unpopularity and damage the brands. Maybe they need that, so that a government bailout comes with dramatic strings attached regarding EV targets.
The trouble is that Trump hates EVs, and Biden loves unions. In neither case would a bailout that forces change be acceptable. The only other scenario I can imagine is EV tariffs not just on China but ALL imports, and the US lags the world in EV adoption (apart from a truly dominant Tesla). Great news for me as a shareholder, but not for the mission :(.
Which completely ignores the fact that Ford did not get bailed out like GM. They saw everything coming in 2007/8 and mortgaged the company to raise $ to survive. Chrysler and GM both went bankrupt while Ford did not. So, to lump Ford in with those 2 is a gross insult to everyone at Ford.

Reactions: Ipcress and X Fan
I'm 75% up on the Tesla short. :) I expect more short opportunities to come…

I would NEVER short a stock, no matter how bleak its prospects. The upside is finite, the downside virtually infinite.

For those who have made money shorting stocks, I’d still recommend this book:

48204238927_904b0f7f17.jpg

Didn't see this reported anywhere yet, but Tesla is offering a $1,000 discount on S3XY for military veterans, retirees, active duty members and their spouses:

Speaking of, to anyone on TMC who serves/d or knows someone who serves/d:

THANK YOU FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART FOR YOUR SERVICE TO THIS COUNTRY.

This can never be said enough, IMHO. There seems a lot of criticism in the air today of this Great United States of America, some it of it well-founded. None of it precludes the fact that we enjoy freedoms most can only ever dream of, and to those who sacrificed to protect those freedoms, I remain forever in your debt. So many unfortunate alternatives exist in the world. The older I get, the more acutely aware I become that I just happened to come into existence on, IMHO, the most fortunate aspect of this pale blue dot.

Tesla wins another Q on BYD, but they are quite close.
View attachment 1062106
It's all over once the cheaper models and robotaxis come online. Right now BYD is serving addressable markets that Tesla hasn't even entered yet. Tesla's cheapest model is over 300% more expensive than BYD's, yet they are still keeping pace by volume. Hella impressive.

Last edited:
First principles engineering focus. I'm still perplexed how other products are lagging like solar tiles and insurance. I get the complexities and priorities of supply chain for Semi and batteries however.
In the biography, it was made evident that solar tile installation couldn't scale efficiently, that is to say there was so much unavoidable cost in installation labor that couldn't be removed in order to produce a competitive advantage to other installers. For this reason, I wouldn't expect Tesla to continue to continue to grow the solar business.

Also, buying stuff with your professional hat on is different to buying stuff for your garage. At work there’s so much more at stake, including your job and career prospects. You know that nobody is gonna remember the price. What they’ll remember is service level, uptime, compatibility, performance, solvency of supplier, etc. Spend the extra on a great product and the pats on the back keep coming for years. In my day the saying was “nobody ever got fired for buying IBM”. Delete “IBM”, insert “Tesla”.
Don't tell that to the former CEO of Hertz :eek:!