Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
MODERATOR:

Eventually, one Off Topic post becomes the last one permissible. Often, this occurs when Moderators become fed up with people being unpleasant to each other. And so, with no further ado,

is the VERY LAST post regarding @Knightshade’s post that originally dealt with the size of the Model S.

In that the posts have degenerated to despicability, every violation of this post will garner its author a two-week ban.

---

Other mod: while AudubonB was writing this post I was busy removing the whole discussion. I'm not going to undo that, as not a single bit of it was worth saving.

Summary: Some Mods put the hammer down; others bring the eraser up.

Last edited by a moderator:
MODERATOR:

Eventually, one Off Topic post becomes the last one permissible. Often, this occurs when Moderators become fed up with people being unpleasant to each other. And so, with no further ado,

is the VERY LAST post regarding @Knightshade’s post that originally dealt with the size of the Model S.

In that the posts have degenerated to despicability, every violation of this post will garner its author a two-week ban.

---

Other mod: while AudubonB was writing this post I was busy removing the whole discussion. I'm not going to undo that, as not a single bit of it was worth saving.
Maybe my memory is wrong, but before teslamotorsclub (TMC) upgraded the website I seem to remember that if you ignored someone you would no longer suffer their posts or anyone responding to them. With the update we now see people's responses to ignored content; said ignored content merely hidden like a spoiler alert. Would be nice to have responses to ignored posters hidden as well. Would cut down on the noise. My two cents anyway.

Correct - ending at Mile 16 instead of the Summit. Missing out on a lot of straights - and at lower altitude, which works to the advantage of ICE cars as well.

View attachment 678408

Plaid ran 6m 57s for 16 miles at Pikes Peak you say? Hmm, the Nürburgring Nordschleife is just 14.2 mi long. I smell another record this Summer. :D

Cheers!

Latest datapoint : Model 3 SR+ delivery in Toronto is 9 to 13 weeks out, which could mean Q3 is already close to sold out
image.jpg

Last edited:
Moreover,
2nd best month in Norway since Jul 2019, which means 4th best month ever.
It won't be a an astonishing year like 2019, but Tesla is still growing in Norway.
Tesla is leading car sales in Norway with a 12% market share so far in 2021. That's quite an accomplishment since they only deliver M3 which has been around for over two years. Lots of costumers are likely waiting for S, X and Y.
Screenshot_20210627-194844.png

MODERATOR:

---

Translation: Some Mods put the hammer down; others bring the eraser up.
So do you guys call yourself "The Mod Squad?"

I think it would be cool when you all act as a team... plus I'd like to see who has the awesome afro!

Plaid ran 6m 57s for 16 miles at Pikes Peak you say? Hmm, the Nürburgring Nordschleife is just 14.2 mi long. I smell another record this Summer. :D

Cheers!
No, the race was not 16 miles long. The starting point is at mile 7. The total course is 12.42 miles long from mile 7 - 19. Randy's race was from mile 7-16.

Randy won today's event, but it does not count against the all-time record, because the race was on a shortened track, only 16 miles usable, top 4 miles closed off due to weather. So the 6:57 time is NOT comparable to the full-length 7:57 of the VW ID.R in 2018. We need to wait another year to find out if Plaid can beat that.

The Plaid Model S was still around 1:20 slower than the IDR through the shortened finish line. That's a purpose built electric race car specifically to run Pikes Peak vs the Plaid Model S that can be bought by anyone (with 130k) and is road legal. Pretty mind blowing...

Knightshade said:
I'm the former owner of a number of high performance land yachts.

I'm just imaging you on some massive yacht in the Mediterranean filled with beautiful people, yet you are still on your laptop typing away messages on TMC threads :D

Whereas when I hear "land yacht", I think of:

1624822348517.png

related to investing in Tesla, SpaceX and StarLink

i have searched TMC looking for discussion of a Tweet from Elon related to both investors, and traders in Tesla, which seem to be somewhat disparate groups,

(to my innocent, mildly jaded eyes, investors number of shares increase, perhaps slowly except following splits, lazily heading towards 10^4 or 10^5 and more, while traders number of shares stays kinda flat to even desperately declining)

“…..Going public sooner than that would be very painful,” Musk said in a tweet late Wednesday. “

== >>>“Will do my best to give long-term Tesla shareholders preference.”<<<==

The billionaire’s tweet came after a Twitter user asked him: “Any thoughts on Starlink IPO we would love to invest in the future. Any thoughts on first dibs for Tesla retail investors?”

SpaceX President Gwynne Shotwell said last year that Starlink could be spun off from SpaceX for an initial public offering….”

to my somewhat naive eyes, since i have been extremely burned trying to trade, which has made me quite leery of options, complex instruments, iron condors? spread eagles, tax consequences of these, the financial derivatives that seemed to be solely designed to confuse the innocent naifs to perform “wallet-ectomies” I have settled on buying and accumulating

Elon’s answer to the tweet directly addressed
“long term shareholders preference ”

to my old eyes and brain, this would seem to preclude somewhat,
traders, perhaps to a lesser extent options folks

the questions, to me,
what is a long term holder according to the persons that would structure the IPO of StarLink and what constraints are they under?
will it suddenly reduce volatility when the definition of “long term shareholder” is put in print as folks scramble to get aboard, like a stick in the spokes of a bicycle or hitting a wall going full tilt to dead stop

would it cause the financial death of more shorts and more wealth transferred to longs 😎

i realize this probably needs its own thread if it is something important like “how _might_ smaller investors get a piece of StarLink IPO” or what have you

thanks for any replies as this has bothering me for a while

i apologize if already answered as i am slogging through 40 more pages

ha ha very funny.

I know of alteast 3 people who have reserved S and have now paused from pulling the trigger on this yoke S. 2 of them already have P100Ds and the other drives a Mercedes.

All the people who lecture on how how it should be done, are simply missing the point. Public don't want relearn a muscle memory they have learnt over decades of driving. Not just the steering, but the buttons for turn signals - dumb & dumber. This is not about losing the wiper stalk that we use much much less frequently than a turn signal or steering.

I have the steering column way down on my X - so I can see the screen in front of me better.

Wouldn't it be better to just cut the top half off so I can raise the column?

My take aways are:

1.) You have rich, but dumb friends.
2.) If your friends insist on being codgy fossils, they should stick to horses.

what is a long term holder according to the persons that would structure the IPO of StarLink and what constraints are they under?

One obvious way to set the timeline for investor's is to map it to Starlink milestones:
  • Public announcement for Communications satellite network - Jan 2015
  • Two prototype satellites launched (Tintin A and B) - Feb 2018
  • 1st operational mission launch - May 2019
  • Private Starlink beta begins - Aug 2020
  • Public Starlink beta begins - Oct 2020
  • 1st shell complete: (1,440 at 550 km) - Pending Aug 2020
  • 2nd - 5th shells: - Pending up to 2025
In this scenario, each item you tick as an early TSLA investor unlocks a certain level of Rights for the offering for each TSLA share held continuously through that date.

Then there are obvious customer milestones, like 1 Million subscribers, 10M, 100M, 1B, depending on how much progress occurs before the IPO. So there's lots of ways to define "what's an early investor?"

I think the stickier (legal) wicket will be how early/existing SpaceX investors react to sharing the wealth with TSLA investors. Here's my take:
  • many SpaceX investors are also likely to be TSLA investors (they "approve")
  • SpaceX has preferencial access to Tesla tech (ie: the 100kwh Model S bty in Starship)
  • Elon holds about ~70% of the voting shares in SpaceX
  • same terms could be offered to early investors in both SpaceX and TSLA.
Overall, I'm confident a Rights Offering for a Starlink IPO can be done from SpaceX to Tesla investors. Pretty sure it couldn't be done in the other direction, but no matter (not on the table).

Cheers!

Last edited:
Yoke is going to result in lower S sales. Every forum and social media verdict is clear. Except a few die hard fans, everyone hates it. It will have material impact on sales, profit and margin and therefore on $TSLA.

If they had just restricted yoke to Plaid, that would have been a good decision. Idiotic move.

Just a sample:

I usually drive with one hand on the wheel, one hand on my chick, and one can holding a soda.

Don't link some confused weirdo and project to the rest of us.

So have we really reached that point in this forums history where anybody who points out that a decision taken by tesla might not be perfect they get told that they are dumb, codgy fossils, or boomers, or that they should stick to horses?
Maybe everybody I know is a dumb codgy boomer fossil, but guess what? teslas cars are still VERY expensive in europe (from where I offer my perspective) and the vast majority of people I know considering a tesla are indeed, middle aged or older.

You can rave about elons dope-smoking and cool twitter following gives him free marketing with teenagers and twentysomethings, but actually... those people cannot afford a brand new EV, and wont be able to for probably a decade.

Those codgy boomer fossils are the ones buying the model S and X, and potentially roadster. Dismissing any concerns they have is incredibly short sighted.