Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought there was an option to select a regular steering wheel? Or was that for the non-plaid only? Or only in Europe?
IMO we will get that eventually...

The reason for starting with the yoke is clearly that Tesla thinks it is the better option, what customers will prefer is hard to judge,,

My best guess is a 50/50 split, or perhaps 60/40 in favor of the yoke, and that might go higher..

Regardless, they need the option of a wheel at some stage, and it will not be hard to do.. The cost of a wheel and a yoke will be around the same...
The only issue is inventory, maybe all cars will be built with the most popular option, and service/delivery will swap them out...
Or they may build in batches, split according to popularity...

Initially it is easier to just build all cars with a yoke, and tap those orders...

• Disagree
Reactions: madodel and Pezpunk
By removing the top section of the steering wheel, Tesla is preemptively eliminating hand placements that can increase the odds of being injured by the airbag in a collision. Hands at 9 and 3 is recommended these days, 12 is right out (unless backing up without a camera)

This should improve insurance rates due to lower medical costs.
https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.gov/files/steeringtechniques.pdf
(Yoke does impact the application of the large turn methods)

Been watching Bloomberg all morning - they are repeatedly calling the China “recall” as “catastrophic for Tesla in China“, every 30 minutes at least they have a story on it. Just once have I seen any mention of it on air as being an online update, and even then the anchor didnt acknowledge it and immediately pivoted to the $5000 EV cars competing with Tesla. Also conflating it with the silly protest from earlier in the quarter.

Been watching Bloomberg all morning - they are repeatedly calling the China “recall” as “catastrophic for Tesla in China“, every 30 minutes at least they have a story on it. Just once have I seen any mention of it on air as being an online update, and even then the anchor didnt acknowledge it and immediately pivoted to the $5000 EV cars competing with Tesla. Also conflating it with the silly protest from earlier in the quarter.
Manipulators gotta manipulate. They'll push this nonsense until they get the SP they want, then they move on to the next manipulation. A shame there are so many people out there who swallow this trash and then sell on command.

Then where does the benefit come for the shareholder?
These companies that go public to access the capital markets to grow offer the best growth.
I do not want a company that has already grown to then access the markets, such as GoPro where they all cashed out. GPRO
Where is the benefit for the stockholder when the stock price is artificially suppressed for five years? Or when the company is artificially driven into bankruptcy? I feel that any Elon public-traded company will be targeted for price-suppression or artificial volatility.

Elon is counting on Starlink (and Tesla) to fund his Mars colonization. I think Elon would prefer to have a company at roughly the point Tesla is NOW before taking it public.

Do you have any thoughts on if or how much COGS could go up due to various material / labor price bumps? I was just reading how the cost of a shipping container was going for multiple times the prices just a few months ago. (Like from $1000 to $8000).
I have been seeing horror stories on Shipping Container price increases as well.
My guess is that the cost increase on RORO ships (used for vehicles) is not as acute due to the chip shortage impacting some OEMs.
Also, Telsa's Sourcing department would have entered into a multi-year contract with the large shipping fleets keeping costs somewhat in check.

Here is an article that mentions VW entering into a 3 year contract with HYUNDAI GLOVIS. I'm sure prices can rise during the contract term but usually with some limits.

By removing the top section of the steering wheel, Tesla is preemptively eliminating hand placements that can increase the odds of being injured by the airbag in a collision. Hands at 9 and 3 is recommended these days, 12 is right out (unless backing up without a camera)

This should improve insurance rates due to lower medical costs.
https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.gov/files/steeringtechniques.pdf
(Yoke does impact the application of the large turn methods)
"The driver should use the area on the wheel between 11 and 8 o’clock with the left hand and the area on the wheel between 1 and 8 o’clock with the right hand regardless of the direction of the turn."

The yoke makes this impossible. Also impossible is one hand steering as described in those guidelines. Hand over hand steering must be used even at high speeds with the yoke, as seen in Youtube videos. Shouldn't the resulting injuries cause insurance rates to increase?

Bloomberg appears to have gone into full FUD mode regarding Tesla. The headline reads, "Tesla Dealt Big Blow as Almost All Cars in China Need Safety Fix". That article tried to fit in every bit of negative nonsense it could, including not mentioning that the claim of brake failure was retracted. Do they have any notion how simple it is to perform an over-the-air software update? And this was to change something not actually wrong with the car, but to prevent drivers from doing something that they should not.

At first I was bothered by all of this yoke talk gumming up the investment thread, but now I understand that it’s actually spontaneous performance art.

You guys are brilliantly demonstrating how adding a controversial feature to a production-constrained flagship product can drive word-of-mouth advertising, ultimately boosting sales of more readily-available mass-market models.

Geniuses. All of you!!

Well played TMC.

"The driver should use the area on the wheel between 11 and 8 o’clock with the left hand and the area on the wheel between 1 and 8 o’clock with the right hand regardless of the direction of the turn."

The yoke makes this impossible. Also impossible is one hand steering as described in those guidelines. Hand over hand steering must be used even at high speeds with the yoke, as seen in Youtube videos. Shouldn't the resulting injuries cause insurance rates to increase?
MODERATOR -

Not only has this topic - not unexpectedly - turned way Off Topic for an Investors’ forum, but it now is being populated not only with personal opinions but with BAD MISINFORMATION.

And so….I will have the last word on this subject, ===>after which it will not appear more in this thread.<===

1. What is WRONG with the above is that it is presented as though these hand positions are how NHTSA asserts one should hold the steering wheel. This is NOT SO. This is how they recommend manipulating the wheel during a turn. It obviously is not how a yoke should be manipulated during a turn.

2. How NHTSA recommends one holds the wheel during normal driving is fully explained in many states’ DMV pages; the following is from California.

In summary, a yoke is a perfect combination of safe holding, safe viewing of any screen that might be in front of a steering wheel, and a safe site for which to be positioning one’s hands in the microseconds before and during the deployment of an air bag:

Steering​

Recommendations for steering control and hand positions differ from vehicle to vehicle based on the size, age, speed, and responsiveness of the vehicle. While there is no one correct hand position or way to steer, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has provided some basic guidelines.

Hand Position

If you think of the steering wheel as the face of a clock, place your hands at 9 and 3 o’clock, or slightly lower at 8 and 4 o’clock. To reduce face, arm, and hand injuries in the case of a deployed air bag, you should grip the outside of the steering wheel, with your knuckles on the outside of the wheel, and your thumbs stretched along the rim.

MODERATOR -

Not only has this topic - not unexpectedly - turned way Off Topic for an Investors’ forum, but it now is being populated not only with personal opinions but with BAD MISINFORMATION.

And so….I will have the last word on this subject, ===>after which it will not appear more in this thread.<===

1. What is WRONG with the above is that it is presented as though these hand positions are how NHTSA asserts one should hold the steering wheel. This is NOT SO. This is how they recommend turning the wheel during a turn. It obviously is not how a yoke should be manipulated during a turn.

2. How NHTSA recommends one holds the wheel during normal driving is fully explained in many states’ DMV pages; the following is from California.

In summary, a yoke is a perfect combination of safe holding, safe viewing of any screen that might be in front of a steering wheel, and a safe site for which to be positioning one’s hands in the microseconds before and during the deployment of an air bag:

Steering​

Recommendations for steering control and hand positions differ from vehicle to vehicle based on the size, age, speed, and responsiveness of the vehicle. While there is no one correct hand position or way to steer, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has provided some basic guidelines.

Hand Position

If you think of the steering wheel as the face of a clock, place your hands at 9 and 3 o’clock, or slightly lower at 8 and 4 o’clock. To reduce face, arm, and hand injuries in the case of a deployed air bag, you should grip the outside of the steering wheel, with your knuckles on the outside of the wheel, and your thumbs stretched along the rim.
Obviously I'm a great fan and always appreciative of your time and efforts, but demanding an OT line of discussion end then immediately following it with a post on the OT topic is too much!

Chaos! Anarchy!

What would be the indicators we are entering a bull market for the tech stocks again? I read everything would be favorable for July but what would be the indicators?
When the moderators on TMC forum need to twice in one day ban a topic and nobody can agree on something as simple as a steering wheel change and argue about ideal hand positions for driving.

So far, that has been the best technical indicator I’ve seen in my brief couple of years here.