Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New supercharger opened in Kirkjubæjarklaustur Iceland today.

A town that I assume was named by a cat running across a keyboard 🤔

Great to see the pace of supercharger deployment pick up this year. It won’t be long before there are millions of Teslas on the road!
Totally O/T, but back in late 2017, I was driving just outside this town on the ring road, at night (It was December) in wind that was gusting to 125 km/hr (there is a handy website where you can track the weather around the island) Anyway, a Land Rover Defender driving immediately in front of us was caught by one of these gusts and rolled over multiple times into the ditch. Luckily, there were no serious injuries, but imagine trying to shout "Kirkjubæjarklaustur" as the name of the nearest town to your S/O who is on the phone with emergency services in those same gusting winds.

At least I can take a Tesla next time I'm round those parts...

Not a single headline yet on my Yahoo Finance feed. It looks like they are waiting until tomorrow in order to manipulate/cap the SP.
Light trading day, so why wait until tomorrow? They could have started the fear as it unfolded, fresh and totally unclear.
However, it may be nothing and some people are in the know. Risk of backfire - that Taycan in the garage is still burned in my mind.
Then there's the S&P 500 slowly gobbling up TSLA and maybe someone else knows resistance is futile... so just Hang on for Friday (HOFF).

I'm not selling anything this time either. I go catatonic pre announcements. It likely goes down on the news, but I really hate to miss a good pop now and thenIt always bounces back once the details are digested. Tic-toc Tic-toc.

Every Model S pack made from 2012 to now has always had a fire retardant in the pack. Do they have better material now than then, probably, but not leaps and bounds better.
No, the Model S and X packs have never had the modules filled with fire retardant like the Model 3 and Y packs. (Unless they added that with the Raven packs, since I haven't seen one of them torn down.)

Kirkjubæjarklaustur: A town that I assume was named by a cat running across a keyboard

The "Kirk ju bæjar klaustur" part is something like "Church town monastry" (apparently, you risk frost bite if you open your mouth long enough to pause between worlds) :p

BTW, the Hong Kong Tesla Model Y page is now live: (website is no longer tossing "404 errors")

I hope that's where that last shipload of 9K Tesla's went from Shanghai. If so, v. bullish.

Skál!

The Model Y Arrives in Hong Kong store - complete with an SR variant:

Edit: also looks like it is available in Macau store (but not mainland China store yet)

0437F689-37D9-4C37-A5A1-9939F7658A3B.png

Last edited:
Light trading day, so why wait until tomorrow [to report the fire]? They could have started the fear as it unfolded...

One bottom-feeder did.

Apple's Stocks app shows lots of other FUD, including one article claiming the delivery consensus is 207k.

No, the Model S and X packs have never had the modules filled with fire retardant like the Model 3 and Y packs. (Unless they added that with the Raven packs, since I haven't seen one of them torn down.)

I didn't say "filled with" or "like the model 3" I said they "had a fire retardant in the pack". Different materials and distribution within the pack but still fire retardant materials were involved. First principles come into play you know...

The "Kirk ju bæjar klaustur" part is something like "Church town monastry" (apparently, you risk frost bite if you open your mouth long enough to pause between worlds) :p

BTW, the Hong Kong Tesla Model Y page is now live: (website is no longer tossing "404 errors")

I hope that's where that last shipload of 9K Tesla's went from Shanghai. If so, v. bullish.

Skál!
If so, v. bullish
The timing is interesting, why not ship out to HK such that they reach at a time that allows even completing the delivery before the quarter ends?
I am assuming your bullish view already considered the timing aspect, are you bullish because you see the total deliveries without these 9K, beating the consensus already?

As we wait for this quarter's numbers, as important as they are, it's important to not lose sight of the bigger picture.

I found this cool 2 minute Elon Musk video that helps put into perspective the larger vision of what we are invested in; regardless of what any single quarter's numbers or FUD might have to say.

Perspective worth watching.

Great Video!!

Does anyone know whose voice was that "Elon's going to get crushed" ~1:05, right after Bob Lutz?

The Model Y Arrives in Hong Kong store - complete with an SR variant:

Edit: also looks like it is available in Macau store (but not mainland China store yet)

View attachment 680550
The delta from SR to LR seemed quite low (%) vs what I’m used to….but now that US MY SR doesn’t exist, I had to compare to TM3. Granted TM3 is SR+, vs HK MY is SR, but:

HK MYUS M3
SR to LR+15%+23%
LR to P+11%+16%
SR to P+27%+43%

So, MY vs M3 not necessarily apples to apples, but those incremental deltas are MUCH smaller!

General comment….with the cheapest MY in the US now $52.9K, plus tax & destination…which with a few non-FSD options easily approaches $60K…Tesla is still selling expensive vehicles! They have a ton of market available if they can get these costs into the 20Ks or 30Ks…let’s get Austin & Berlin kicking and onto the next Giga!

Btw I think someone asked me a few pages back when I was criticizing Troy's method for estimating P/D what my number for Q2 was.

The reason why Troy's 2021 Q1 Production estimate failed so badly is because he simply assumed that GA is the bottleneck at Fremont. When the Gigapress outage occurred, he removed all Model Y production for those days. Castings were never the bottleneck, nor were FSD chips from frozen Austin. The bottleneck is, was (and will be for years to come), batteries.

Bty supply also 100% explains why 'greens' launch request after request for German courts to stop the Berlin battery plant, and why 'water' is suddenly scarce in a region with plenty.

Water also explains how the only 2 things that survived the latest kabuki performance were some 18650 cells, and a 'Plaid' badge. Oh, 'SAVE THE BADGE!' Yeah right. Y'all are real guillible if you gave that more than 2 seconds of thought. It's fraud, arranged by shortzes, which will be played in the media for years before getting a day in court.

TL;dr SS;dd

Elon@50

As I was thinking about my association with Tesla (and Elon) over the years, especially 2018, once again these thoughts came to my mind...

When the history is written, about the kind of impact Elon had on humanity, and when the topic comes up with my kids or perhaps grandkids, I can happily tell them, I did my very tiny bit standing behind Elon in his battles (investing very significant amount of my savings in his endeavor, over the years trying to educate people on Tesla, and Elon when there's a chance).

I will tell them there was a time when I felt that there was a decent chance that the company could permanently loose significant market cap (in other words loosing significant amount of my investment), but I felt, if that happens I should see it as a contribution towards a great cause.

I will also say, sometime after I started the journey, I found awesome group of folks (TMC) I used to daily hangout with (online).

Thanks Elon, thanks to all of you, especially those who have been with Tesla & Elon from very early on! Cheers!