Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...All these new companies have it pretty easy.

All these new companies (and the old ones) will be swept away by Tesla's FSD. Who will want to buy a new car that can't drive itself? Not many.

Edit: ...swept away unless they license Tesla's tech. Will the big egos at the automajors and startups eat humble pie? Maybe they'll take their golden parachutes and leave the pie for their replacements.

Last edited:
Weekend homework....
If Tesla continues their tear to produce profitable EVs at scale, and destroys the competition like they appear to be poised to do....what are the unfair challenges likely to be? We are already seeing some of this behavior with the Biden snub. The EV tax credit might be written or later modified to exclude Tesla. Investigatons and regulations could be used. Monopoly lawsuits could be brought. Just curious how good people here might be at predicting the possible headwinds since without them this Tesla story is way too easy...

Weekend homework....
If Tesla continues their tear to produce profitable EVs at scale, and destroys the competition like they appear to be poised to do....what are the unfair challenges likely to be? We are already seeing some of this behavior with the Biden snub. The EV tax credit might be written or later modified to exclude Tesla. Investigatons and regulations could be used. Monopoly lawsuits could be brought. Just curious how good people here might be at predicting the possible headwinds since without them this Tesla story is way too easy...
Even the extra $2500 for union built cars is questionable legally I think, US government cant target 1 company on any incentives or taxes.

They are throwing other regulatory problems at tesla and could prevent tesla from rolling out FSD until others catch up.

tesla isnt anywhere near a monopoly selling a few percent of USA's vehicles

But Norway .... ;) Do we catch VW by September 1? 🚀

1630114719601.png

So the autonomous car was in manual mode with an operator accidentally bumped into a visually impaired individual going 1-2km/hr. The headlines however are all over with Mr. Toyota stating autonomous cars are not ready for the road. WTF is this nonsense? Is Toyota getting so desperate that they are willing to sabotage themselves just to get government to scrutinize autonomous vehicles more?

I just wanted to give you a little bit of Japanese flavor on this incident. It looks like the car stopped in front of the ped crossing with autonomous mode on, but the driver pushed the "go" button to override, resulting in the accident.

As I don't know why the driver made such a simple mistake, Toyota pulling the car out of the road is a typically Japanese way of thinking. Japanese does hate mistakes and criticize people who made mistakes. Toyota will be the target of this criticism, and the CEO preferred to let people forget the incident by suspending the autonomous vehicle operation.
This is my take. Toyota just took the appropriate PR action. I believe they have no bad intentions.

Yes, however I am talking about how wall street asses risk. There was once a time when the street didn't think it was possible FOR ANY COMPANY to make a profitable EV or create enough demand. Now those are known factors (as long as they execute as well or better than Tesla). The execution part is suspect, but the risk of not knowing the possibility was taken off the table. Plus it's now easier since battery packs are much cheaper than from 2012 so as long as the companies can get mass production right, they should be able to make a profit. It doesn't take much for NIO to almost break even.

All these new start ups also have way more time with their mass infusion of cash vs Tesla of the past, plus no financial crisis to deal with. Tesla did the best with the worst possible cards they were dealt. All these new companies have it pretty easy.
Not only the price. EV technologies has evolve a lot from then, a lot of it attribute to Tesla. More parts for EV are available from part manufactures, etc. It is a lot easier to build an EV than when Tesla started. However, it seem to be pricier to get a manufacture facility up and going if you look at how much these guys are spending to get the first car out of their manufacturing plant.

Reactions: UncaNed
I just wanted to give you a little bit of Japanese flavor on this incident. It looks like the car stopped in front of the ped crossing with autonomous mode on, but the driver pushed the "go" button to override, resulting in the accident.

As I don't know why the driver made such a simple mistake, Toyota pulling the car out of the road is a typically Japanese way of thinking. Japanese does hate mistakes and criticize people who made mistakes. Toyota will be the target of this criticism, and the CEO preferred to let people forget the incident by suspending the autonomous vehicle operation.
This is my take. Toyota just took the appropriate PR action. I believe they have no bad intentions.

Appreciate the perspective. Nothing was wrong or surprising about Toyota’s PR or response. It was just the quote from Mr. Toyoda. To me, the logical extension of the cultural qualities you mention - which can be very admirable - would be to say, “OUR autonomous vehicles are obviously not ready and WE will do better before WE endanger the public with OUR vehicles and OUR mistakes” instead of casting doubt on autonomous vehicles in general.

Not only the price. EV technologies has evolve a lot from then, a lot of it attribute to Tesla. More parts for EV are available from part manufactures, etc. It is a lot easier to build an EV than when Tesla started. However, it seem to be pricier to get a manufacture facility up and going if you look at how much these guys are spending to get the first car out of their manufacturing plant.
Probably due to a lack of urgency. Their engineers probably work less hours than Tesla's because Elon instill the urgency of this "we are carrying the future of Earth on our shoulders" kind of responsibility to their workers. Everyone else is trying to be an EV competitor which is not exactly that noble mission statement. Tesla is racing against time as the world burns.

I feel like Tesla's capex cost has gone DOWN with every new giga factory.

Weekend homework....

I've always assumed there would be big headwinds but that Tesla would just blow them away by putting their noses to the proverbial grindstone and offering incredible value. It's not like Tesla hasn't already experienced headwinds and I'm sure Elon knows they won't let up. The headwinds I would be most concerned with would not originate with the government (they are too slow and too ineffective to create serious headwinds). The most serious threat would likely take advantage of Tesla's plan to rapidly expand production by attempting to damage the supply chain. Slowing Tesla's rate of growth sufficiently would harm the share price. Of course, the current share price does not assume anything near Tesla's planned rate of growth so it's almost like the market has already accounted for the possibility of this.

Model Y's for Q4...Something like -

Giga China - 150k
Fremont - 110k
Texas - 30k
Berlin - 10k

Your tgts are ambitious, even for total Model 3/Y production. I have a lower tgt for 2021-Q4 Model Y production: (based on 12-wks)

Giga China: 1k/day * 90% utilization factor * 84 days = 75.6K
Fremont: same as Shanghai (heuristic-only)
Texas - 1k/week * 12 weeks = 12K
Berlin - 0k

My estimate for 2021Q4 Model Y production is 163K. Tesla will not report this number, they will aggregate Model 3/Y production. I'll apply the Shanghai model runrate proportion of 800 3s to 1,000 Ys to estimate 128K Models 3 total from Shanghai and Fremont. Thus, my estimate for Tesla's total Model 3/Y production for 2021Q4 is 284K.

#Predict

An extensive and very interesting study about the effectiveness of Corona vaccines (including irt the rampaging delta variant) has been carried out in The Netherlands.
Although I think it has a clear relation and importance to Tesla and investment, I will not place even an excerpt here, but this excerpt can be found in the appropriate thread: here

Last edited: