Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If all this becomes true, then we will see massive red days ahead but with Tesla being green(pretty much already happening this week). This also means Michael Burry predicted a correction but bet exactly on the wrong horses.

IIRC the initial major reports on Burrys actions were from a May report that (as of March 31) his firm held 8001 puts on TSLA. With no info on the strike of the puts, the expiration of the puts, the premium paid on the puts, etc... We don't even know when in Q1 they bought them. Could've been when the SP was $800 plus most of January and early Feb.

Even if we assume he bought them as late as March 31, SP was $667.93 then. It dropped as low as $563.46 (ignoring intraday lows) in May, and $572.84 in early June.

They could easily have made substantial profits on those positions from when they were opened.

On Aug 16 it was reported they hold like 1100 puts as of June 30... but again we don't know when they bought them or any of the details, or even if any of them are the same ones they held the previous quarter.

If these were new positions (their having taken profits in Q2 on their Q1 puts for example and buying new puts on a spike in Q2) or even if they were just 300 more added in Q2, they could've bought puts when SP was as high as $762.32 in early April- These are tougher than the Q1 puts to still be holding end of Q and turn a large profit- but hardly impossible. July saw a number of closes in the $640s.

Now, they also could be terribly underwater on all this if they picked different times to get in/out, but without the details we simply can't know.

Remember how everyone called Gary Black an idiot for getting out of TSLA in early Feb? ($863.42 SP close the day this was reported).

He bought back in later- at considerable discount.

There's a lot of ways to make money on stock, bearish and bullish. Even one it's obvious is going up a lot long term.

Some folks have more patience, others have more willingness to take risks, others just are luckier.

(a great example of Burry being unlucky BTW- they sold off their gamestop stock by end of Q4 2020... they did net perhaps as much as 34 million on their original investment... but missed out on like 800+ million if they'd sold at the height of the WSB squeeze)

Just came back from Tesla service, they were great. Control arm on the car was replaced under 24h and I got a loaner for the first time.

My mind however got blown by the guy in front of me who came in with his used Model X he purchased 2 weeks ago and complained that the nearby superchargers were full. He wanted the service center to charge his car. The service rep said it'll take a hour because there are two cars being charged. The guy said "I am going to sell this car in 2 weeks because the service has been terrible! You tell me I have to wait a hour?". The rep was like "sorry sir but I have to bring your car in, then there's the charging time".....

I wonder if my wife can go into volkswagen tomorrow and complain about her empty gas tank...

These are the kind of customers a company would do well to ignore. Hopefully they will go buy a Porsche or something.

Although, I disagree with Biden's Tesla policy or lack of one. I can't see how this helps Elon Musk/Tesla. Some cooler heads need to speak to each of them about their common interests. After all, Biden does not need to antagonize 60 million plus Elon Musk twitter followers.
Elon is actually a cool head on this.
He is not assigning motives.
His is pointing to how things look.
Which is all he really wants corrected.

More FSD button details
91884A68-BF68-41E0-B3A5-C1EE621FA3D5.jpeg

9839A1A8-9251-4ACD-BDAB-A2EC9CE4EDF7.jpeg

I would expect that every member of this forum has!

Yes, but where not the ones disparaging Elon Musk for his pathetic 50 million donation.

People are uber dense that Elon could have stopped trying to innovsheafter Paypal. He didn't need Tesla or SpaceX to give him his first billion.

I wonder if the UAW has donated to any causes these days other than buying off anti Tesla Presidents and lobbyists.

Asian markets tanking, and futures not looking good. It looks like markets will continue to trend down this week.

Its awesome we can follow your entire post history. You literally only show up when things are bearish to show us all love and care.

QQQ and SPY is too hot but Tesla is cheaper on a relative basis.

Would really love to know your motivations here.

Its awesome we can follow your entire post history. You literally only show up when things are bearish to show us all love and care.

QQQ and SPY is too hot but Tesla is cheaper on a relative basis.

Would really love to know your motivations here.
I daily trade the indexes. Always good to keep in mind what’s happening in the markets even when someone is 100% invested in one stock. It doesn’t hurt to buy some SPY puts to hedge a portfolio when there is increased risk

• Disagree
Reactions: StealthP3D
Remember how everyone called Gary Black an idiot for getting out of TSLA in early Feb? ($863.42 SP close the day this was reported).

He bought back in later- at considerable discount.

I recall most of the criticism was due to the reason Gary gave for selling, it was because Elon bought Bitcoin. Silly reason. And, indeed, he bought back in and Tesla still held Bitcoin. His actions and words don't really align and I don't like people who appear to use their standing or popularity to influence others for their benefit. Sure, his trade made a profit but he used others to amplify it.

I ask because I would have thought 2% was pretty good. I’m not sure what we’re asking for.

That's NOT the issue. The issue is not the error rate with 24 hrs to in the quarter, but a consistent negative bias at the START of the quarter, which is inevitably adjusted upward just before the end. Self-reporting that final error rate as representing the quarterly estimate is improper.

Whenever there is a consistent negative bias, it is TRIVIAL to remove that with statistical methods. The fact that he has not done so, (in spite of being repeated called for it), speaks volumes.

The queasy part of this entire effort is the presence of a patreon account, allowing certain bears which to contribute financially to his (predictably low) early estimates.

Do you honestly not see this glaring conflict of interest? Do you really wonder why basic faults in statistical methodology aren't being fixed?

To quote Upton Sinclair, "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."