Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here I'm assuming that Elon's motion to allow settlement negotiation details into evidence are beneficial to their position, i.e. that the following assertion is true:

"Mr. Musk would like to address the SEC’s unsupported assertions and submit
documentation reflecting the negotiation history between the SEC and Mr. Musk and Tesla, which undermines the newly-presented interpretation the SEC sets forth in its Reply.
"​

(I suppose that's actually true, not just zealous advocacy by defense lawyers. Should that evidence be submitted without seal we'll be able to judge that.)

Yeah, that line struck me as very interesting as well. I'm very curious as to what "negotiation history" there is that he plans to present...

It will allow the purchaser get the rebate. No, it won't save Tesla money, but my guess is that few will actually order without A/C, so overall there won't be that much cost. And since it's just software, they can purchase the A/C later.

A bigger potential impact would be the exchange rate used by Tesla to set the Canadian price. Should the Canadian dollar pop a bit, that could allow Tesla to re-adjust pricing once the budget actually takes effect. The Canadian dollar can and does fluctuate. A few years ago it was at parity with the USD and now we're sitting around 0.75 USD.

We were discussing the MR pack at the time.
Yes, that's what I'm saying, I don't know that MR pack was ever confirmed to be really different pack from LR. I don't recall that statement by EM or Tesla specifically.

And my second sentence is in that venue: I know that SR was confirmed to be its own pack and not software limited, so I'm wondering if it's my memory, or you got EM's statement about SR to apply to MR.

BTW, I find this question interesting, but not important, so I won't scour all published statement of EM to figure it out :)

Yeah, I don't think the government ever gets more than a scolding.

There's a difference between questionable trial tactics and antics (which - and here I agree with @TNEVol - rarely result in sanctions: losing the case is punishment enough) and actually misapplying a settlement in a way that is inflicting serious harm:
  • harming Tesla shareholders,
  • applying content based prior restraint on Elon's speech,
  • imposing a chilling effect on Elon's speech.
No federal court will gloss over that if it's a U.S. Government agency doing it or asking the court to do it.

But first Elon has to show that his tweets were not under the scope of the settlement.

The problem: the Model 3 A/C compressor is I believe shared between HVAC and battery management system purposes.

So it cannot be removed to save costs.
Correct. But my thought is that not many will actually order it without, and Tesla can have a software enable so that it could be turned on later. Because it will allow the customer to get the credit, there will be more sales at very little extra expense.

Yes, that's what I'm saying, I don't know that MR pack was ever confirmed to be really different pack from LR. I don't recall that statement by EM or Tesla specifically.

And my second sentence is in that venue: I know that SR was confirmed to be its own pack and not software limited, so I'm wondering if it's my memory, or you got EM's statement about SR to apply to MR.

BTW, I find this question interesting, but not important, so I won't scour all published statement of EM to figure it out :)

Screen Shot 2019-03-19 at 4.49.08 PM.png

$44,9k CAD Model 3 comes standard with:
  • No AC
  • No heat
  • No rear seat
  • No passenger seat
  • Brakes made extra-squealy.
  • Software-limited to 30km range and 20kph top speed.
  • Car constantly plays circus calliope music as you drive.
  • Delivered with tires uninflated, just out of spite
  • Front seat made of sack cloth wrapped around wooden boxes
  • Paint job guaranteed to contain at least one ethnic or religious slur.
  • Touchscreen interface modified to emulate Windows 3.1.
  • Car comes filled of a mix of cat and dog hair
  • Cannot guarantee that the car will be free of colonies of japanese giant hornets
  • Every car individually cursed by priests of at least five indigenous religions.

Last edited:
Canadian federal 2019 Budget just came out. There's a $5000 federal EV incentive for EV under 45k. Model 3 SR currently sits at 46k. So if Tesla can somehow cut enough cost by about 1000 in the future, sales should pop more. Combined with the $5000 incentive already in BC that is $10000, Vancouver should be a hotbed for Tesla M3 SR.

Disable navigation (and sound system?) to let it squeak in for $44.9K?
Sound+Nav $2K after purchase. Sound system just to make sure there are no cheap ones that use to live without nav :)
Problem is, $44.9K SR-bare-to-the-bone would pull demand too much in that direction.
But a year from now, it could be viable strategy, to target camry/accord/civic buyers

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
$44,9k CAD Model 3 comes standard with:
  • No AC
  • No heat
  • No rear seat
  • No passenger seat
  • Brakes made extra-squealy.
  • Software-limited to 30km range and 20kph top speed.
  • Car constantly plays circus calliope music as you drive.
  • Delivered with tires uninflated, just out of spite
  • Front seat made of sack cloth wrapped around wooden boxes
  • Paint job guaranteed to contain at least one ethnic or religious slur.
  • Touchscreen interface modified to emulate Windows 3.1.
  • Car comes filled of a mix of cat and dog hair
  • Cannot guarantee that the car will be free of colonies of japanese giant hornets
  • Every car individually cursed by priests of at least five indigenous religions.

LOL! At least it still has access to Supercharging. Vs an iPace I'll still take one please, thank you! :p