Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One of the risks you didn't mention is that your brokerage could change the margin requirements and there would be nothing you could do about it. This happens all the time.

Such a simple change, combined with a falling stock value, can make things happen that you previously believed were impossible or not worth worrying about. It wouldn't be the first time a large number of shares were leveraged right out of the hands of small investors by force.

I didn't need to. Selling the 180/300 spreads would be more than enough to cover that.

• Disagree
Reactions: StealthP3D
I think this is a cleaver move on his part. When the discussion of him selling shares to pay taxes, that worked out to around 1% of all Tesla shares (which Gary Black said wouldn't be a big deal). This is 2%, so instead of him "having" to do it, it looks like a generous, magnanimous offer. This comes right on the heals of the 6 billion to solve world hunger.

I think he's doing tax planning right now...

Indeed, fasten your seat belts, turbulence incoming. Prepare to load up if you can; some of the other thread will rejoice :D

View attachment 730065

View attachment 730066

TLSA going on sale. Can't say if it's a little or a lot.

I voted no, but regardless, this is what makes him so different from any other CEO. Others may say that money is secondary to doing the right thing, but only Elon shows it in his actions time and time again in the most substantial ways. He's the one I trust the most by a country mile.

The CEO cannot sell his stock on Monday. He has to file in order to sell 6 months from filing per insider trading regulations. Elon will most likely not dump 20B at the same time but stagger the approach to the point that you may not even notice(I mean ARKK make pretty big sells all the time without you noticing). I am hoping that he clearly communicates this before causing some kind of panic when Monday comes.

Last edited:
The Elon poll is brilliant .
Look how much the media runs with any report of high level Tesla exec/ board members exercising options or planned sales. This makes it all transparent, up front, and "the will of the people". I don't see any way Elon could sell stock with less fictional narrative being attached. He is controlling the story. On a weekend. Out of the news cycle.

Plus, that 10% probably excludes the 2018 CEO awards which are not exercused and are much more than 10%. Current Elon holdings: 227 million shares, full CEO award: ~100 million shares.