Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am confused - if you have a short leg meaning you sold to open calls, and then you buy them back at a loss, how are you then holding calls? Or do you mean you bought twice as much as you had shorted?
A spread is sold calls and bought calls at different strikes. OP is reminding everyone that while some trading platforms let you purchase the spread as one entity, the legs are actually distinct trades and if you treat them as such, it can be tax advantageous. This seems obvious if you set up the spread "manually," but easy to forget if your brokerage offers spreads as a single click trade.

There is certainly a disconnect in design mentality between EV startups and OEM's with regards to batteries. I have a hunch pouch batteries will become very unappealing to the auto market over time, and anyone using them today will eventually regret it. Just my gut feeling.

Elon has stated recently that pouch batteries are sub-optimal for automobiles.

This, yet they as in legacy still do not listen.

Tesla is at least 5 years ahead in batteries. Maybe more.

Most of the competitors to Tesla have pack level energy densities in the 120-140wh/kg range.

That’s 2015 P85D territory. Model 3/Y get 170wh/kg pack level. The new plaid packs are in the 185wh/kg range. (Why the Model S weighs several hundred pounds less than the Taycan)

4680 cells will probably be in the 220+ range NOT including the structural benefits… with the structural benefits you’re probably talking well over 300+ in net/real terms! Even the structural 4680 LFP batteries will probably be around 200wh/kg in net terms!

GMs next gen Ultium batteries are limping along at ~140wh/kg pack level (why the hummer weighs 9000+ pounds). Already obsolete in 2019.

What's the explanation for legacy auto being so verdant today?
GM and F had been selling off the previous five days, while TSLA had been fairly stable. They were due for a bounce. Then earlier this hour GM raised its 2021 earnings guidance, which caused a pop upward.

More broadly, the macros had apparently been falling amid more disappointing congressional testimony by the Fed chairman and Treasury secretary. Then came word of a person in San Francisco who had contracted the Covid19 Omicron variant pushing the macros to their lows of the day. Tesla was dragged down with the macros.

FYI: The entire market (including TSLA) rolled over from being solidly green to being up only marginally or down, on news that he-that-shall-not-be named is present in California.

Tesla has been constantly sold off since opening bell, it's only following macro's on the downward movements. Pretty obvious TSLA's movement today is not mostly related to macros.

I'd honestly rather the macro's just continue their dive. Just flush it out. Maybe TSLA would actually get some support from MM's at the 1100 level.

Tesla is at least 5 years ahead in batteries. Maybe more.
I felt that way in 2012. But now we have to consider the lead in terms of scale. And with scale comes the need for long term contracts for supply to ramp. Without these, you'll at best, at best, have to pay out the nose for products that are not as efficient and this will end up putting you still years behind. I'd bet that we won't see any efficient, scale competitor to Tesla batteries in the foreseeable future (10+ years). For instance, with Fremont and Austin producing for a higher percentage of USA next year, I'd expect Tesla's EV market share to increase to >70% (currently it is ~63%).

TSLA should have some good support at 1100. Max pain is 1115 for Friday and I doubt MM's wanna pay off 1100 puts.

Or maybe they drop all the way back to 1050 if this mood drags into tomorrow? Somehow I doubt we see a broad selloff into Thursday.

Let's see what kind of premiums next week's $900 puts are showing.....

TSLA should have some good support at 1100. Max pain is 1115 for Friday and I doubt MM's wanna pay off 1100 puts.

Or maybe they drop all the way back to 1050 if this mood drags into tomorrow? Somehow I doubt we see a broad selloff into Thursday.

I'd love to see a Nasdaq pullback to 14,500, regardless of how TSLA holds up. Full 10% correction and takes away a lot of the risk from the market.

Btw, I think TSLA would hold up very well in even a 12-15% pullback from the top in the macros. We have multiple upcoming catalysts to support the stock, strong Q4 numbers coming in, and we have the moving averages starting to get to close to offering support (50 moving average will be about 970 after today and its moving up to the tune of $7-8 every trading day)

I scored a price of $4.20 creating and selling a Dec 3 990 put - couldn't resist.

FYI: The entire market (including TSLA) rolled over from being solidly green to being up only marginally or down, on news that he-that-shall-not-be named is present in California.
Who?
Gordon J? Trump? Coronavirus? Anton W? Biden? Chanos? Voldemort? Omicron? Burry? Milton? Toilet Boy?

(and people complain about acronyms...)