Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Perhaps relevant.
DOJ PROBE EXAMINES SHORT SELLING BY FUNDS AND RESEARCH FIRMS*DOJ IS LOOKING AT STOCKS TARGETED BY MUDDY WATERS, CITRON*DOJ IS SCRUTINIZING TRADING IN AT LEAST SEVERAL DOZEN STOCKS

Hedge Funds Ensnared in Expansive DOJ Probe Into Short Selling https://www.bloomberg.com › articles › 2021-12-10

52 minutes ago — The U.S. Justice Department has launched an expansive criminal investigation into short selling by hedge funds and research firms, scrutinizing their symbiotic relationships and hunting for signs that they improperly coordinated trades or broke other laws to profit, according to people familiar with the matter.
The probe, run by the department’s fraud section with federal prosecutors in Los Angeles, is digging into how hedge funds tap into research and set up their bets, especially in the run-up to publication of reports that move stocks.

Anybody else pleased to see the DOJ working on this, rather than the $EC? :p

Cheers!

Last edited:
Perhaps relevant.
DOJ PROBE EXAMINES SHORT SELLING BY FUNDS AND RESEARCH FIRMS*DOJ IS LOOKING AT STOCKS TARGETED BY MUDDY WATERS, CITRON*DOJ IS SCRUTINIZING TRADING IN AT LEAST SEVERAL DOZEN STOCKS
The names they mention are fairly small cap. TSLA is not included in the report.

I just received an email from Tesla regarding my MX order, here's the translation, I highlighted the two key points:

We will contact you regarding the timing of your Model X order.
We are in the process of scaling up production, which has delayed the launch for countries outside of North America. We will notify you in your Tesla Account of delivery dates once production of your Model X begins. It is estimated that deliveries outside of North America will start in the second half of 2022.
We will no longer be accepting new orders for Model S and Model X in countries outside of North America. Your Model X will retain the purchase price as of the date you ordered if you do not make any changes to your Vehicle Configuration.
Request a callback with a Tesla Advisor if you want to use your Order Fee for a different model or if you want to cancel your order.
We apologize for the inconvenience.
With kind regards,
The Tesla Team
#don’thatemewhenimrightaboutyouknowwhat 🤣

Beat me to it. We came up with 20 grand when we bought and thought that was a lot. 😂😊🍷
Don't worry. When you get to the point where 80k is pocket change, someone here will be throwing down 800k as pocket change. ;) (to be clear I'm not in that latter category)

The names they mention are fairly small cap. TSLA is not included in the report.
Even without being named explicitly, it's nice to know that the bad actors out there might think twice before being so blatant with their machinations.

Anyone else find it odd that this is all we hear? (No I'm not trying to create something out of nothing.) Strip away the hype and look at the raw info. The video translation was pretty teasing, but why would Tesla do this and not follow-up with more details? I say it's all in the timing. (But I could be wrong, I mean who does that?). His haircut was a rebel signal for me, as in not conforming. I'm going with Haircut 100.

• Funny
Reactions: AZRI11 and sparkz
Thank you. I may have overdone it to show factual support vs speculation.

Let’s try again.

I looked up the physical properties of die cast aluminum and the sheet steel typically used for door skins. The material properties are close enough to see a path to using a Giga Press to cast an entire door, save the inner liner and any structure it wants to bring with it.

The skin/panel part of the door might look something like a bird’s feather (when viewed from inside the door - the rough side). Nature has done light weight structures before. So, there is lots of precedent.
How did you arrive at that?

P.S. I don’t scare easily. 😈🤣

We have no real way to track what what happens from the 7am update on a Friday morning thru the day's action, so I assumed we could all agree that "max pain" on a Friday, though obviously a moving target, is somewhere in the region of the posted pre-market figure of $1050?

It's still a bit unclear to me how everything gets closed out by MM's on Fridays into after-hours. Why would MM's be "closing the 1000 strike puts" now rather than simply inject some buying into the market via short covering and expire them OTM?

the real way would be to know the net effect of Options expiration vs trading settlement

OCC options exp processing every friday after hours, of which the resulting net stock flushes into the regular stock trading settlement cycle

net EnA trades, long and short vs all the strikes, then combined with regular days exchange trades

true, EnA (ex and assignment) happens daily, but generally, a larger volume happens weekly, monthly, qtrly expirations which may deviate that max pain away from what you’d expect from the last calc

not even saying that is the know all end all to max pain…just saying understating that combination of options EnA flow vs trade flow would maybe help target that current max pain (if one was privy to the data)

Last edited:
Not worth trying to explain. That's why I stopped posting about it long ago.... I and many other have explained several times It just confuses too many people who try trading on the information. You are quite a bit off on your max-pain with 1050 as your number.

i enjoyed the detail in the past…although i’m sure i missed a lot of ,it or didn’t fully understand. i’m sure i’m not alone - just sayin

Setting up a go fund me page so I can buy more chairs.

Please send money ASAP as this sale won't last.

Send in care of @catsrstupid.com
Cat looks at portfolio, notes most of its chairs cost less than $7 and thus Cat has no need of rage buying during any of its remaining lives.

Conclusion: Cat totally okay with being stupid. 🙄

It's pretty quiet on that front. AFAIK, China has efficient factories, proud workers, and a smaller motor was approved by MIIT in China.

Moneyball on Twitter: "MIIT production approval list: Tesla Model Y receives approval for 194kW single motor (3D7) version. (MIIT) https://t.co/Vceblu7iPe" / Twitter

BTW, 194 KW is 260 HP. To me, that amount of power sounds more appropriate for the upcoming $25K compact car, not a mid-size CUV weighing over 2 tons.

I thought Tesla was working on a larger motor for the heavier LFP version of the MiC Model Y SR.

Obviously not the whole picture here...

How did you arrive at that?

P.S. I don’t scare easily. 😈🤣
Partly because putting the skin on after Gigapress is an extra step... so the discussion last night went into how thin a skin is possible, and what's the finish like. It they do the whole door and skin in one shot, that would truly be amazing!!! Almost makes you wonder if sheet metal could be made this way, and in new shapes besides a standard roll, eliminate the final stamping.

• Helpful
Reactions: Krugerrand