Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sure, let's promote the idea that EV's are more dangerous and complex than ICE vehicles. Many people have taken apart and repaired Tesla's with no official training, no electrocutions have resulted. Sorry, I don't want Tesla to be Apple.
Rich rebuild had one of his cars combust on him while he was rebuilding. When dealing with new technology without a guide yes it will be dangerous. Whats the worst an iPhone going to do if you tear it open incorrectly?

Rich rebuild had one of his cars combust on him while he was rebuilding. When dealing with new technology without a guide yes it will be dangerous. Whats the worst an iPhone going to do if you tear it open incorrectly?

Remember the costly battery fix outrage promoted by Rich Rebuild? Apparently it's FUD. The "$5000" died soon after the video was out.

I agree that news of that sort is interesting and important, at least to me.

My point is that there wasn't anything in the post besides a link about what you found useful. Why post that link?

I did do some hunting to find a non-paywalled version of the article - I just assume its a copy. Unfortunately reading the article the best I could get out of it is that it was another example of FUD being tossed out. I needed to read the article to find out the law firm in question was employed by Tesla / SpaceX, not some random law firm. I still don't know whether the lawyer in question worked on the Tesla / SpaceX account or was just a random person, formerly working at the SEC, that now also worked for the law firm. Or why Elon was calling him out specifically.

The article also didn't make it clear about the expert at NHTSA had evidence of an axe to grind with Elon, or why Elon would call that person out. That's mostly why I was thinking that the reason to post the link is that its yet another example of Tesla FUD, with a catchy headline and innuendo but light on actual facts. Was that the point - its another FUD article that takes a subset of facts and twists them?

But the main thing is that I didn't see any value add from you. What did you find helpful and intriguing about that article? What information did it provide to you that you felt might be helpful to the community? I love getting new information like that - its an important reason why this community has been so helpful to me. There is still a blizzard of links that people find, and even a one-liner with the link about why the link and information at the other end was interesting / helpful to the poster, is important to help people (or at least me) decide whether to follow the link and learn more or not.
To answer your question, the ex SEC lawyer was working for Cooley but not on any SpaceX or Tesla account according to the WSJ article.

Cooley just lost a big client and now that it got into the press, might lose others. This should have been kept quiet. Cooley should not have leaked this to the press unless Cooley is looking to sue Musk for his request? That would be fun to watch.

You think no one ever started a fire when working on an ICE? This really isn't a line of argument you want to pursue.
Yeah but no one cares about ICE cars on fire. I am speaking in the format of keeping Tesla out of the news. Having people messing with their cars without knowing what they are doing would only create headlines such as "Tesla's right to repair caused man to burn house down trying to fix Tesla in garage."

Remember everything is Tesla's fault. Guy drunk crashed into police car while on AP is Teslas fault according to MSM.

Yeah but no one cares about ICE cars on fire. I am speaking in the format of keeping Tesla out of the news. Having people messing with their cars without knowing what they are doing would only create headlines such as "Tesla's right to repair caused man to burn house down trying to fix Tesla in garage."

Remember everything is Tesla's fault. Guy drunk crashed into police car while on AP is Teslas fault according to MSM.
And in the meantime we get "Tesla won't let you fix your car", "Tesla won't sell parts", and "Tesla won't let you use third party garage", etc. The right thing to do is sell parts just like every other major OEM. We want EV's to be normal, not exotic and "dangerous" to work on.

And in the meantime we get "Tesla won't let you fix your car", "Tesla won't sell parts", and "Tesla won't let you use third party garage", etc. The right thing to do is sell parts just like every other major OEM. We want EV's to be normal, not exotic and "dangerous" to work on.
You want EVs to not be dangerous to work on? This argument has meandered to nonsense.

Don't you people have any Tesquila you could be drinking?

99% of the people don't care about fixing their cars. Third party garages will pop up eventually when there's enough demand for EVs. It's kind of hard to run a 3rd party business when 5% of the cars are EVs and 4.9% of them would take it to Tesla for repair as most EVs on the road are covered under warranty. As for wheel rotations and alignment any third party garage will do. Drive train tech work requires a whole new set of training.

Attachments

• 200 (5).gif
    200 (5).gif
    1.2 MB · Views: 87
99% of the people don't care about fixing their cars.
100% of people care about ease of repair. If Tesla has a reputation of limiting repairs and/or that the cars are difficult and dangerous to work on that falls right into the FUD narrative about EV's in general. Again I'm surprised you're pushing that narrative.

No one should be touching any part of the HV system of an EV unless they are trained in some manner. I know of at least two people killed working on an EV and one was a hybrid mechanic. I have also personally witnessed a few close calls. HV systems are incredibly dangerous because they are DC, HV and have incredible energy.

Talk about nonsense, you want to promote the idea that EV's are dangerous, more dangerous than ICE? That's TSLAQ talk.
You tell me a scenario where a non-professional should be touching a Tesla battery pack or the drivetrain attached to it. There's no future where that's not insanely dangerous and that's totally fine.

It sounds like you're worried about demand. I can't imagine why.

100% of people care about ease of repair. If Tesla has a reputation of limiting repairs and/or that the cars are difficult and dangerous to work on that falls right into the FUD narrative about EV's in general. Again I'm surprised you're pushing that narrative.
I'm pretty sure everyone opens up the front lid of an ICE car and thinks to themselves "oh yeah, easy peasy" right? Tesla makes repair very easy to a trained tech. Everything pops out like lego blocks and this one of the reasons how they can keep cost under control.

I think the problem you have is having access to parts. Well service centers are also having trouble having access to parts so yeah it's not surprising they are not selling them to non-tesla service centers.

Give it 5 more years and I think we will have plenty of 3rd party parts and Tesla may even sell some of the simple to fix ones. I don't expect them to give people access to their powertrain without proper training though.