Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
HODLer from TMC waiting for the market to understand the value of TSLA:
1643306241639.png

TMC post earnings crowd be like getting on an airplane...

Wait... we were allowed to smoke on planes at one time? Seems ludicrous now.

And 5 yrs from now...
Wait... we were allowed to drive our cars at one time? Seems ludicrous now.

Then 10 yrs from now...
Wait... we were allowed to burn oil in automobile engines at one time? Seems ludicrous now.

I think this is worth sharing in this thread, even though not directly about investing.

The Twitter account Elon Musk’s Jet has been posting tracking data about where Elon's jet goes with dates, times, and places. Elon has contacted them, asked them to stop due to security concerns, and offered $5000. The account owner responded that they want $50,000 from Elon to stop.

If you are following thr Elon Musk’s Jet account on Twitter, I request that you consider unfollowing that account. Thank you.
Not to derail this thread, but if it was so important, you’d think Tesla’s director of AI would stop following them way before us….

1643306397844.png

Last edited:
This is one of the specific items that Moody's called for in their recent credit upgrade letter:

Moody's upgrades Tesla's corporate family rating to Ba1; outlook positive

Don't look for a credit upgrade to "Investment Grade" from the geniuses at Moody's. That wouldn't sit well with the shortzes.

I am fine with those geniuses not recognizing what the true priority from a business AND mission perspective is this year:

Build Model Y's. As many as you can, as fast as you can, as cheap as you can, as close to their customers as you can.

That is where 90% of the resources need to be going this year. That is largely where Elon & Co. implied last night they were going this year.
Given the insane demand, incredible profit margin (i.e. money printing ability) of this car, it might well be financial malpractice NOT to do this.
Bullish, bullish, bullish for 2022.

For you USA football fans, the coach just said "this half we're concentrating on the running game and solid defense". A lot of folks wanted the passing game which is more exciting, but doing things this way Team Tesla will add 3 more touchdowns to its solid lead and shorten the game so the competition has no time to catch up. This is what you do when you are already ahead, the running game is working, and the weather conditions are bad and uncertain going forward. Doing otherwise is coaching malpractice ;)

2020 : 500k cars
2021 : 1000k cars
2022 : 2000k cars
2023 : 4100k cars - Fremont, Shanghai, Berlin and Austin fully ramped, then 600k Fremont, 500k Shanghai, 1000k Berlin and 2000k Austin (based on plant land area & increased efficiency). Production from any new gigafactories would be on top of that.

Elon seems to be sandbagging his numbers, 500,000 cars in 2020 would have been comfortably exceeded if it were not for COVID-19

Tesla's growth has been governed by capital availability, which is increased because of profitability and capital efficiency which has been improving. There is no reason to assume that they won't increase in the future, that means growth is more likely to increase rather than decrease.

Just about everyone underestimates exponential growth, which for an S curve is up to the mid way point or for cars about 50 million per year. The more I study this, the more I'm turning into a hyper-bull.
This was my prediction from August 2020, I still think the 2022 and 2023 production numbers are going to come close to that.

I was wrong about Shanghai, production in 2023 will be well over 1000k, Austin and Berlin are probably a bit high.

Reactions: UltradoomY
I think this is worth sharing in this thread, even though not directly about investing.

The Twitter account Elon Musk’s Jet has been posting tracking data about where Elon's jet goes with dates, times, and places. Elon has contacted them, asked them to stop due to security concerns, and offered $5000. The account owner responded that they want $50,000 from Elon to stop.

If you are following thr Elon Musk’s Jet account on Twitter, I request that you consider unfollowing that account. Thank you.

I have a feeling that guy is going to wish he took the $5k soon.

Hm.
Perhaps RT will over a couple of years become so cheap that it will steal customers from public transportation. And generate more demand.
Also the standard pattern now is: Drive to work - park. Drive home - park. The cars are parked a lot of the time.

New pattern will be: Drive customer - drive empty towards new customer - drive customer - drive emtpy around the city core, where demand is likely to occur. That is a lot more miles driven (in peak hours).
Some of the empty miles can be mitigated by AI prediction. But how much remains to be seen.

But yeah - the math is tricky 'cause this is a new, weird paradigm with few precedents.

My guess is that in peak hours a lot more cars than today. driving customers or looking for customers. In off-peak hours: Significantly less cars than today.
If true, this pattern can actually become useful in urban design:
Like in the first corona-waves, we can se pop-up serving or other activities on a part of any given city road. On weekdays, the pop-up additions are removed in order to facillitate smooth traffic.
(The alternative is to do weekend shutdown of part of urban roads, converting the full road to a pedestrian road - weekend only)

I would argue that in peak hours there will be a lot fewer cars.
It think RTs will naturally lead to more ride-sharing.

It's a cost problem. Every simultaneous lone commuter or empty car needs a car.
The more of them you have, the higher the cost.

So, if you want to commute alone at peak you'd pay a lot more than if you're sharing.

While A to B direct is nice, a key benefit of RT compared to current public transportation is simply being able to travel A to B without dealing with hubs, changes and timetables.

Another reason I expect RTs to lead to fewer cars is that I'd expect the RT networks to agree deals with some larger employers who would offer free/cheap RT pooling as a benefit to their employees.

If you ultimately had AVs cheap enough for a lot of private AV ownership, that would shift the dynamics somewhat as people might start accepting longer commutes to cheaper houses.

Reading up on all the comments bummed out about 25K car.. It doesn't really make any sense at this point. They claim FSD is close on the product timeline to the possible 25k car, if they tried to make one. Once FSD is on, the game changes completely. Tesla will need to focus on taxi-type vehicle that is designed for that use case -- durability, ease of cleaning and charging, etc. Not on a posh personal vehicle. Different requirements entirely.

One funny thought I had while listening to the "show". If Optimus is a device that is close enough to human shape and can understand surroundings via software similar to what's needed for FSD, it's not that much more work to teach it to get into ANY vehicle and drive it. So Optimus is an uber-FSD and more.
Yeah.
So, given that legacy auto are not very good at vertical integration and/or chip hardware and software, enabling a future Tesla OEM FSD package might not work from a practical standpoint.

AFAIK, FSD is designed specifically for Tesla, where the 'bedrock' is a lot of instrumentation and various chips wich is either built in-house by Tesla or reverse-engineered with APIs custom built for the 'car-OS' (for lack of a better word.)
On that solid foundation, building a FSD is not easy but doable (we assume).

How to jury-rig a future Tesla FSD unto a legacy car platform?
Tesla might well be willing to sell FSD - Elon has stated that on occasion, and it is more likely than not. Even if the legacy buyer is willing to buy FSD, integrating it into a legacy car might be - hard.

It might also be a legal nigthmare. What if the Tesla FSD works well, but the brake or steering control software is buggy or slow? Of course, Tesla would do rigourous testing in order to verify a car platform before the FSD is booted and made ready for that platform.

But, there are some theoretical computing limits on what you can test statically (before compilation) and what you have to handle (runtime). Also, this highligt the need for at well documented and pre-existing lecacy 'car-OS' which Tesla can run tests against, in order to verify that FSD will work correctly.

It is going to be both interesting to see not only how many legacy companies will swallow their pride and say yes to a future tesla OEM FSD package.
Another problem is how many of them have car platforms which will be technically able to actually support FSD.

• Informative
Reactions: Drax7
Thoughts on production estimates and production constraints:

First, the obvious and above-mentioned references to what we heard in the EC - even with just Fremont and Shanghai factories in operation, Tesla's vehicular output in 2022 will be more than 50% greater than last year's.

Second, the logically obvious statement - sometimes stated but always implied - we have to solve the ___________ bottleneck. As some posters notably have mentioned, there always is a bottleneck. Once Bottleneck A is solved, Bottleneck B appears. It must be that way. In 2022 - at least in 1Q but possibly throughout the calendar year - it is a component that is the bottleneck. Might be seat-adjusters, might be batteries, but that Tesla can obtain only "X" of these in whatever unit time we're discussing means that only "X" vehicles can be produced (please don't quibble over 'we need 4 of those per car' - thank you).

Put those two together and what do we get?

A: One must never underestimate Tesla's factories qua factories. It might, on the contrary, be almost impossible to overestimate them. How so?

Iteration A: Tesla plans to produce 400,000 vehicles at Fremont; 750,000 at Shanghai; 150,000 each at Grünheide and Austin. Places orders for the appropriate number of components from its suppliers (to ease the statements below, we'll use that sum: 1.45MM.

Iteration B: For the time period under consideration, Grünheide & Austin are a no-go AND suppliers say "Sorry - we get you 1.4MM parts but no more."

So what is Tesla's response? Iteration C: "Very well. We'll increase production at Fremont and Shanghai to 1.4MM and call it good."

Conclusion: The long-disused term "Dreadnought Factory" looks, in fact, to be real. That the entire production line - casting, stamping, assembly, painting and so forth - can be so adaptable that in just these two older factories Tesla is not constrained by labor, not constrained by parts, but can increase output given true bottlenecks at the other two factories (Production = 0) - that is for me the really important takeaway from the Earnings Call.

This belongs somewhere else, but it was a part of the Earnings call so...
I looked it up.
A human driver averages an accident every 18 years, 6570 days.
With over 60,000 FSD Beta testers (I am going to use some liberal adjustment of ">60,000" to mean 657,00) there should be 10 accidents per day from Beta test drivers.
ONE A DAY!
Where are they?
Edit: so I have a mouse that sticks when I use the online calculator.... one a day not ten.

Is it possible that not working on a “$25k car” 🚗 is a way to eliminate any Osborn effect?

When in reality they’re working on a smaller compact car that will sell for like $5k cheaper than the model 3 in 2024, but not force Tesla to commit to a price point.

I think so. The Shanghai and Berlin design center exist for a reason.

Keep calm and accumulate 🪑 on