Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it possible that not working on a “$25k car” 🚗 is a way to eliminate any Osborn effect?

When in reality they’re working on a smaller compact car that will sell for like $5k cheaper than the model 3 in 2024, but not force Tesla to commit to a price point.

I think so. The Shanghai and Berlin design center exist for a reason.

Keep calm and accumulate 🪑 on

WRT to $25k car I never expected it until 2025 or later anyway.

Tesla beats in Revenue and Earnings.
Yahoo Finance now show Q1 2022 Consensus EPS as $2.15, a drop from just released Q4 2021 of $2.56.
So the Consensus just doesn't get where Tesla is going (purple line), and Consensus has reset their misinformed estimates which they will continue to push upwards over the course of the quarter as they have always done. Tesla's trend is onwards and upwards. The 2021 Financials and 2022 Look Ahead only supports this movement. TSLA will catch up with Tesla, it always has. Time is your friend.
Screen Shot 2022-01-27 at 11.49.55 AM.png

FSD possibly eventually includes being able to hire a Robotaxi for a day or a week, the line between Robotaxi and hire car might be blurred.

Some people will want to owe a private car, and not let it operate as a Robotaxi.

Some people will unload all their gear, before sending the car out to work as a Robotraxi.

Some people will buy a new car, and let the old one work as a Robotaxi.

Radio didn't fully replace the Newspaper, TV didn't fully replace radio, etc, the old model and the new model always co-exist and people decide which one they prefer to use at any point in time, Some may take a Robotaxi to work, because the car has been washed and is loaded up with gear for the weekend trip.
Next week they will drive the car to work, on Friday they may let the car drive them home.

Overall these is more choice, not less choice.
I don’t think hiring a robo-taxi for a week will make sense, unless your mileage would be much higher that week. Assume before market saturation, each robo-taxi can charge $0.50 mile and have demand for 2k miles per week. You would need to pay $1k to make it worthwhile to them.

• Informative
Reactions: MC3OZ and lafrisbee
Disagree, they said the existing plants are underproducing due to part shortages and F&S could do 50% more on their own.
Tesla (TSLA) Q4 2021 Earnings Call Transcript | The Motley Fool
Zach:

I was addressing Elon's comment that they could hit the 150% number this year with planned upgrades to Fremont and Shanghai without any contribution from new factories. There is no doubt they are running under-capacity now due to part shortages, but Elon indicated the existing plants had some planned upgrades to further increase capacity.

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Martin Viecha: Question from Toni Sacconaghi of Berstein. Toni, please go ahead.
Toni Saccaghi: Yes thank you. This question is directed at Elon. Elon, without the $25k car, how will you get to 3.2m cars in 2024?
Elon: I'll let The Accountant take this question.
The Accountant: Thanks Elon. Toni, I posted my 5 year plan on TMC on Jan 17. As you can see, the $25k compact is not needed in 2024 to reach 3.2m deliveries. The Model Y will be the best selling car in the world while being produced in 4 factories and the Cybertruck will be in its second year of production. If the compact comes in 2024, it will be icing on the cake. Oh and by the way, you didn't ask but I'll add, Tesla will have industry leading operating margins of 22% in 2024.

View attachment 760928

Nominated for "Moderators' Choice: Posts of Particular Merit".

Yep, its all about Messenging. Take'em to school, Ben. :D

Thank-you

Conclusion: The long-disused term "Dreadnought Factory" looks, in fact, to be real.

Either through zero humans, or possibly Primus complimented. Very cool thought.

Here's Elon's description from 2016, and he states this as a requirement to winning.

Reactions: Discoducky
The way I figure it is once robotaxi is enabled it's simple math.

1,000,000 lifetime miles
$0.20 revenue per mile
$200,000 total revenue
-$57,000 cost of vehicle
$143,000 profit / 10 years
~25% annual return on investment

If the numbers line up to something like this I'll be buying as many as I can to go make me money.
1M miles * 50% utilization (Elon’s own figure for robo-taxis driving to pick up fares) = 500k revenue miles.

Not to derail this thread, but if it was so important, you’d think Tesla’s director of AI would stop following them way before us….

View attachment 760951
To be fair, AK probably is the only subscriber with a legitimate reason to want to know where EM is....But agree that he, like me, should unsubscribe. Like a hot potato. Greedy bastages.

Reactions: Drumheller
I was addressing Elon's comment that they could hit the 150% number this year with planned upgrades to Fremont and Shanghai without any contribution from new factories. There is no doubt they are running under-capacity now due to part shortages, but Elon indicated the existing plants had some planned upgrades to further increase capacity.
I'd like to add that it was stunning to me that Tesla can grow Fremont another 50%. That factory was not purpose built and optimized for Tesla production. It was quite a bit of ad hoc changes and crammed production. Incredibly impressive that they can grow it another 50% when it already seemed maxed out. Guessing they did some serious space usage reorg while redoing the model s / x line.