Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I expected, Mach E sales in the US cratered for the month of Feb YoY. Only 2,000 Mach E’s sold in the US compare to 4,000 in Feb last year. Considering you can find plenty of Mach E’s in inventory, not a good sign for Fords demand

This coming from a company saying they’re going to 2 do million vehicles by 2026. Pass me some of that good stuff Ford and Ford investors……cause that must be one hell of a high

As I expected, Mach E sales in the US cratered for the month of Feb YoY. Only 2,000 Mach E’s sold in the US compare to 4,000 in Feb last year. Considering you can find plenty of Mach E’s in inventory, not a good sign for Fords demand
I have a sibling that wanted to buy a MachE, but the dealers here are charging a $15k markup on them. So she is sitting and waiting for that to come down. And their inventory will just keep sitting there.

On the flip side, if the courts do say the water contract is invalid tomorrow right after this approval conference, it’s going to make Germany look even more stupid

I have a sibling that wanted to buy a MachE, but the dealers here are charging a $15k markup on them. So she is sitting and waiting for that to come down. And their inventory will just keep sitting there.

The $15k probably represents the money they would lose from the lack of service needed over the lifetime of the car. "Fine, you want to buy this, then you're paying up front for the service money we're losing"

The dealer model is broken and legacy auto has a big problem on their hands as a result.

Again, I'm only repeating what Redlich has been saying about Lucid, not vouching for it. If he's right, it's fraud. He's a lawyer, so I'm sure he knows what fraud is.

The difference between Lucid being a legitimate company that goes bankrupt vs. it being a fraudulent company that goes bankrupt, is a matter of intent. And that is very hard to prove when the company is run by people who understand that difference. So, it will likely never be proven a fraud, even if it is.

But some early clues can be had by those who want to know what the likely intent really is. For a company like Lucid to be viable, they need to ramp through the difficult low-volume period as quickly as possible. So, look at how fast they are making capital investments to become a large volume manufacturer. A company in business just for the show of it will likely try to extend the time before they fail by extending the timeline of capital investments rather than jumping in with both feet with a plan to get to high volume in a timeframe as quickly as the development of high-volume production lines is feasible. If you see Lucid giving up their somewhat early mover advantage by kicking high volume production further down the road to conserve capital and extend the game, it points to fraud. If you see them spending money (and they have a lot of it) to make the transition to high volume production as quickly as possible, it is likely a legitimate attempt. A legitimate company should burn through capital at an alarming rate during this period and they shouldn't delay it and allow legacy auto to catch up. There is no catching up to Tesla this decade but the last thing a viable company will do is let the laggards catch up.

However, I would caution not to use Tesla's history as template for looking at these metrics because Tesla had to develop the technology. Lucid can open up a Model 3 and see how Tesla did it which is a huge advantage in terms of a speedier timeline.

Yesterday in an extended family gathering people began discussing just that. Seriously, the industrial talent and engineering excellence is unequalled in Estonia. There is very sound logic in using Estonia for numerous hardware and software projects, if a little less so for a Gigafactory. Remember Estonia is the world's absolute leader is STEM education.

As Tesla grows exponitially they need huge numbers of engineers. There is no better place for them. Poland and Ukraine have very long and deep industrial expertise, so once Russia is back within it's borders, Ukraine will be very much able to deliver large-scale production.

In the middle of the war it may seem improbable. Russian reparations, EU and rest of world help will bear rapid positive results.

We all know the 'glass is less than half full' now. The outcome could still become catastrophic. We still should plan for success.
I was thinking about this...it seems until Russia's aspirations are "checked" in a long term fashion (I'm not sure what that looks like...if it's possible?), having a factory in the middle of what we see happening in Ukraine seems I'll advised.

This can't be all or nothing? Worst case is probably a renegotiated lesser amount of water used?

A few weeks back I read an article about this case where Grünheide officials were talking about options if for some reason the water contract gets canceled.

There are other municipalities in the area with enough water supply for Giga Berlin. One of the options was to bring water from one of them. However, that involves building a new pipeline. We know that a new pipeline is not going to be built overnight, but Grunheide officials really want Giga Berlin to start production.

Yeah, I find it hard to believe that Mach E actually has a demand problem.

I don't know, here in east PA all the Ford dealers seem to have Mach E's sitting on their lots unsold. And yep they are all marked up quite a bit too.

The elegance of Tesla's delivery system avoids the entire dealer drama, and legacy auto is going to have to find a way around their own dealer networks in order to compete with Tesla. That won't go smoothly.

This can't be all or nothing? Worst case is probably a renegotiated lesser amount of water used?

These faux 'enviros' are really bad at telegraphing their anti-Tesla strategy for Berlin. They've already let it be known that "there isn't enough wasser" for Phase 2, so you can guess the sequel to this movie.

Yet they are completely silent on the neighboring coal mine which uses 100x the amount of water that Tesla proposes to use, and with damaging effects.

The tailings from coal mines contain environmentally and biologically toxic elements, such as lead, mercury, nickel, tin, cadmium, antimony, and arsenic, as well as radio isotopes of thorium and strontium.

Where was all the environmental concern when that coal mine was approved? Pandora?

Last edited:
A few weeks back I read an article about this case where Grünheide officials were talking about options if for some reason the water contract gets canceled.

There are other municipalities in the area with enough water supply for Giga Berlin. One of the options was to bring water from one of them. However, that involves building a new pipeline. We know that a new pipeline is not going to be built overnight, but Grunheide officials really want Giga Berlin to start production.
Building a new pipeline involves “permits”… hope we don’t go there again…
I would rather use bottled water

It's a stock booster for sure though. Shows Ford board and CEO have a brain.

No, it doesn't. It shows the Ford board and CEO care about the short-term stock price.

Separating the company into two units that report separately will not fundamentally change the company unless one assumes the chain of command within the development of ICE vs. EV was not already separate. If it wasn't, it's about time they fixed that.

These faux 'enviros' are really bad at telegraphing their anti-Tesla strategy for Berlin. They've already let it be know that their "isn't enough wasser" for Phase 2, so you can guess the next sequel to this movie.

Yet they are completely silent on the neighboring coal mine which uses 100x the amount of water that Tesla proposes to use, and with damaging effects.

The tailings from coal mines contain environmentally and biologically toxic elements, such as lead, mercury, nickel, tin, cadmium, antimony, and arsenic, as well as radio isotopes of thorium and strontium.

Where was all the environmental concern when that coal mine was approved? Pandora?

I wonder if Tesla bought the coal mine out, if they would have access to the full water contract that comes with it. They could shut down the mine, and have water to spare, and even sell.

I don't know, here in east PA all the Ford dealers seem to have Mach E's sitting on their lots unsold. And yep they are all marked up quite a bit too.

The elegance of Tesla's delivery system avoids the entire dealer drama, and legacy auto is going to have to find a way around their own dealer networks in order to compete with Tesla. That won't go smoothly.

Looking at inventory around Houston, there are more Mach-Es in transit/ordered than sitting at dealerships. Which usually indicates that they are moving pretty quickly.