Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I may not be likely to repeat this post, but I'm feeling a bit generous right now.

From Gordon Johnson to many others whenever they've seen a company doing toooo well there has tended to be fraud, excessive optimism and hubris.
Thus the actual facts are simply not credible to "linear thinkers". They simply cannot believe what is there before their eyes.

Given the 'Alien Dreadnaught' and the very fact of a factory operating system it is not conceivable that this has not been done before.
Years alter and nobody else has been capable of reusable orbital class rocket boosters, fairings and so much else.
The impossibility for many people is that Tesla is the low cost producer, despite (because of) advanced technology.
We all understand this and find it to be our very good luck that we believed when we first invested in TSLA (whenever that was).
What we do not understand is the massive global investment that are being made obsolete by these developments.
From Boeing. Toyota, and GM to Magna, Exxon and all the rest Elon is threatening the world industrial processes.

The wisest among them think of Kodak, Kaiser or IBM, Compaq, Nokia and so on, but think somehow that Tesla and Elon are more like Enron than they are like
Henry Ford, Alexander Graham Bell, Steve Jobs or Igor Sikorsky. They were all considered lunatics, until they weren't. None of them actually invented the things they were famous for in reality, but all so transformed the things to something that made life more productive and easier, and all concentrated on producing these things at mass.

The real impediment is that this time Elon is solving problems most people haven't realized they have. To that extent none of those precedents are adequate to explain what is happening, Tesla and SpaceX are redefining things the world regarded as more or less mature. That is a crucial distinction.

Since today is a day of FOMO, it is well to remind ourselves what we all have NOT missed.

There is so much awful right now I, for one, want to be thankful for a few minutes at least. Not least because Space X and Tesla are helping Ukraine have a better chance of survival.

This news made me think for the very first time:
Rather than Tesla being the one to bring to the courts the Interstate Commerce Clause regarding unfair dealership practices, we might see the traditional automakers themselves being the ones forced to carry water for Tesla!

What a fascinating modern world we’re living in.
Love is a bit mild for this post.

Here's 8-K if this hasn't been posted already tsla-8k_20220328.htm
Thanks so much for posting this. Maybe I can help under stand how this split/ authorized share thing works.

When a company incorporates they request X number of shares from the state of incorporation. These are called authorized shares. They pay taxes on the number of shares authorized so they don’t just ask for 50 billion up front. Those shares are referred to on company books as authorized and they can do what ever they want with them. They don't have to sell them to anyone and we refer to those companies as privately held. You can't buy into the company. They just don't need your $.

When the company gives some of of these shares to a senior management member as executive compensation they are now referred to as issued and outstanding (no longer in the company coffers). Same for early investor shares bought before an IPO. And of course all shares sold in an IPO are issued and outstanding. We don't worry about the authorized part anymore as shares are only created by the state incorporation process and taxes were already payed on them. When a company buys back stock on the open market they are authorized/issued shares but no longer outstanding. (Now back in the company coffers). They can use them at the company's discretion. E.g. stock splits, sell them in a primary offering again, whatever.

When they run out of those initially authorized shares they can buy some back from the public or request more authorized shares. You're increasing the number of shares that conceivably would spit a cash dividend. That requires voter approval. Tesla has not done any stock buy backs and has apparently used all of the initially authorized batch.

Can’t wait to see the split numbers! BTW, If you studying for your US SIE, Series 7/6 top off license exams almost everything above is tested. You can thank me later.

Anyone want to take a guess when $1500 will be broken?
3rd April P&D - 1100
25th April ER - 1100
14th June pre Shareholders - 1100
16th June Shareholders - 1100
3rd July P&D - 1300
25th July ER - 1500
10th Sep Split timeline announced - 1700
1st October Split - 1900
3rd October P&D - 1700
25th October ER - 1700
10th Nov new shorts get in -1500
25th Jan ER - 1900

obvs

Anyone else having problems loading TMC? Just got in about now… this last 1 hour in my life has been empty.

I should get some fresh air and see some people.

/s (of cause. I should not see people)

yes, it was giving me 503 errors for an hour or so and just came back about 20 minutes ago

Massive scaling? 🤔

Edit. Looks like this went under everyone's radar as it happened this past year? Still interesting. I'd be interested for rental property purposes.
Many years ago, around 2014 or 2015, Tesla had one of these "tiny homes" setup for weeks in downtown Santa Barbara. Complete with test drives and cars for sale. About a year later the Santa Barbara Tesla service center and store was completed.

On top of the split announcment, reveal of new Cybertruck will put stock over the top.

FO7C0ryVcAEoXJL.jpeg

The split will make it very likely that TSLA will be joining DJIA which is stock price weighted (vs market cap in S&P500).
At 3% entry into $10T index... that's another $300B of float that will get locked up. Buckle up!
There is nowhere near $10 Trillion in funds tracking the Dow. The combined value of the 30 companies listed in the Dow is about $10 trillion (Apple & Microsoft account for half of that) - but that has nothing to do with how much money is tracking the Dow index (Which in reality is a tiny fraction vs the amount of money tracking the S&P500).

I knew today was too good to be true without any FUD...this one is especially funny:

1648506102322.png

TL: DR

1648506147431.png

🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

Sure,

We'll listen to you David Trainer:

1648506193037.png

Thanks so much for posting this. Maybe I can help under stand how this split/ authorized share thing works.

When a company incorporates they request X number of shares from the state of incorporation. These are called authorized shares. They pay taxes on the number of shares authorized so they don’t just ask for 50 billion up front. Those shares are referred to on company books as authorized and they can do what ever they want with them. They don't have to sell them to anyone and we refer to those companies as privately held. You can't buy into the company. They just don't need your $.

When the company gives some of of these shares to a senior management member as executive compensation they are now referred to as issued and outstanding (no longer in the company coffers). Same for early investor shares bought before an IPO. And of course all shares sold in an IPO are issued and outstanding. We don't worry about the authorized part anymore as shares are only created by the state incorporation process and taxes were already payed on them. When a company buys back stock on the open market they are authorized/issued shares but no longer outstanding. (Now back in the company coffers). They can use them at the company's discretion. E.g. stock splits, sell them in a primary offering again, whatever.

When they run out of those initially authorized shares they can buy some back from the public or request more authorized shares. You're increasing the number of shares that conceivably would spit a cash dividend. That requires voter approval. Tesla has not done any stock buy backs and has apparently used all of the initially authorized batch.

Can’t wait to see the split numbers! BTW, If you studying for your US SIE, Series 7/6 top off license exams almost everything above is tested. You can thank me later.
I haven't (re)studied for my Series 7 since the mid-Pliocene, but I believe that your "(paying) taxes on the number of shares authorized" is a function of the par value of those authorized-but-not-issued shares. If I am correct, then declaring them to have No Par Value would then be blessed with that magical event when one multiplies anything by zero.
Two corollaries:
First, Par Value is a bizarre, antiquated concept that nowadays comes into its own when and only when a company declares bankruptcy. Neglect it.
Second and possibly important. By its Articles of Incorporation, Tesla declared that shares have a Par Value of 1¢ or 2¢ or possibly even $1 (I'm not going to look it up but I am 100% certain it was not zero. That could and likely does bear on any new shares created by a share dividend. Either Tesla would have to revise its Articles - yecch - or create a new class of shares - doubleyecch.
And so.....the Path of Least Resistance most likely is to cowboy up and pay those taxes. Probably a Grand Total of $49.23 and 31/47¢.

Back to you -