Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ummmmm..... from interactive brokers to me via email
1649977795906.png

Finally, conventional batteries are not a recommended solution because of self-discharge, limiting storage to only days or weeks.
I assume they must mean lead acid batteries because lithium ion cells have almost nonexistent self discharge and any energy used by an idle BMS during storage would easily be topped off if needed.

This looks like potentially huge technology for long-term storage needs and the research institution is reputable. The Pacific Northwest National Laboratory is one of the premier scientific organizations in the world as a part of United States Department of Energy, and one of its areas of specialty is sustainable energy, which makes me less skeptical of this just being yet another Battery Breakthrough announcement about dead-end technology.

“Pumped hydro storage is the most used long-term energy storage mechanism across the globe, but power distribution is limited due to regulatory concerns and geological constraints. Conversely, green hydrogen generated by excess electricity from renewable energy is a possible solution for seasonal storage, but it is hampered by hydrogen storage challenges and low roundtrip efficiency—the amount of energy put into storage that can later be retrieved. Finally, conventional batteries are not a recommended solution because of self-discharge, limiting storage to only days or weeks.

Researchers at the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) have developed a solution for long-term, seasonal energy storage. The innovative Temperature-based Hibernating Battery effectively cuts off the self-charge function during the battery’s idling period, making it ideal for long-term electricity storage without loss of electricity for several months.”

So basically, it’s a battery that only does anything when at least 180 degrees Celsius, so it doesn’t gradually leak ions like regular batteries.

View attachment 793735

It seems to check all the boxes:
  • Simple, probably easy to manufacture
  • Raw Materials are cheap ($23/kWh now, claimed future technical roadmap to $8/kWh if iron replaces nickel), abundant, not environmentally or ethically disastrous to obtain, fully recyclable, geographically widespread, and flexible with respect to anode & cathode metal choices
  • 90% Energy Efficient per charge-discharge cycle, even for long term use
    • Can save energy for YEARS if desired, although main usage would be more profitable weekly and seasonal storage
  • Safe - won’t burst into flames, explode, shock anyone while “hibernating”, nor emit uncontrolled toxins
  • Mechanically robust, not fragile
  • Stable in wide temperature range
  • Decent energy density for stationary storage (246 Wh/kg theoretical max; no data provided on actual achieved current value)

View attachment 793740

Clean Technical intro article
PNNL Brochure
PNNL Paper for Nerds
This is still very expensive. For seasonal storage, let say you have a $8/kWh system. For convenience it's life is 32 cycles. Both the best case assumptions.

It still costs 25c per kWh. Solar and wind are still a small fraction of that.

Lithium ion economics make sense because of high (150x) cycle life even at 20x the upfront cost.

Last edited:
Elon's 4D chess moves vs Twitter's board slowly get (possibly) revealed - From @sashayanshin's YouTube video as summarized by @Artful Dodger in the Twitter thread : " .. Sasha Yanshin has a pretty good bead on this one. He thinks it was necessary for Elon to delay reporting to creep up on the 10% threshold, and he will simply settle the lawsuit out of court (he'll just pay them the difference between whatever they sold at before they knew Elon was buying, and his 'best and final bid' of $54.20 per share)

He further thinks that Elon has 10 days after the end of the month in which he passes 10% ownership before he has to report the change. And at a rate of ~2% share accumulation per trading session, Elon may be able to exceed 50% common share ownership BEFORE he is required to report that he even has over 10% :D

... Elon could be accumulating on the open market right now. and that he's effectively 'capped' the shareprice at $54.20 for the duration while he's accumulating a majority of voting shares. "

As @sachayanshin says, this is likely all masterful doings /timings - with this $54.20 offer Elon effectively anchored Twitter's SP so he can continue to accumulate till May 7th at a 2% per day rate, w/o spooking the SP up, by which date he'll have to report the 10% + change in ownership to the SEC.

So, either way whether the board accepts or not, Elon wins, it's checkmate. Majority ownership or acquisition secured by May 7th.

Now the clincher: Tesla's balance sheeet happens to have $17.5B which is approximately 51% of Twitter's market cap.

EMSK.Twtr.sasha.jpg

This weekend expecting more fireworks /amusement for the Tesla saga - latest being as Elon Tweeted, how clumsy/ laughable the move by Twitter's board to hire Goldman Sachs as advisors - showing how $54.20 is not in the interest of Twitter's shareholders when Goldman Sachs has a 12 month target price of $30, uh oh ..

EMSK.Twtr.GoldmanSachs.uh.oh.jpg

Last edited:
I have received this as well. Call me confused, as I hold no TWTR shares. I guess I/we are the acquirers. Well thats new.
If you please: To the extent that appears to you to be a legitimate message from your broker, click on that “article” reference to learn what it reveals.
I, for one, can not believe TSLA is offering to purchase TWTR.

Putting it another way: if it is the case, the message I would receive is Hurry Out for Dear Life 😢

And in nine years, that is the very first time I ever have non-jocularly brought up a reason to sell.

If you please: To the extent that appears to you to be a legitimate message from your broker, click on that “article” reference to learn what it reveals.

Putting it another way: if it is the case, the message I would receive is Hurry Out for Dear Life 😢

And in nine years, that is the very first time I ever have non-jocularly brought up a reason to sell.
I’m young on here but I’ve been on twitter since 2008. I’m not suggesting Elon use Tesla to buy twitter but I am suggesting that there might be something here that a lot are missing.

Here is the article for you in that link. Twitter Confirms Receipt of Unsolicited, Non-Binding Proposal from Elon Musk

Elon's 4D chess moves vs Twitter's board slowly get (possibly) revealed - From @sashayanshin's YouTube video as summarized by @Artful Dodger in the Twitter thread : " .. Sasha Yanshin has a pretty good bead on this one. He thinks it was necessary for Elon to delay reporting to creep up on the 10% threshold, and he will simply settle the lawsuit out of court (he'll just pay them the difference between whatever they sold at before they knew Elon was buying, and his 'best and final bid' of $54.20 per share)

He further thinks that Elon has 10 days after the end of the month in which he passes 10% ownership before he has to report the change. And at a rate of ~2% share accumulation per trading session, Elon may be able to exceed 50% common share ownership BEFORE he is required to report that he even has over 10% :D

... Elon could be accumulating on the open market right now. and that he's effectively 'capped' the shareprice at $54.20 for the duration while he's accumulating a majority of voting shares. "

As @sachayanshin says, this is likely all masterful doings /timings - with this $54.20 offer Elon effectively anchored Twitter's SP so he can continue to accumulate till May 7th at a 2% per day rate, w/o spooking the SP up, by which date he'll have to report the 10% + change in ownership to the SEC.

Now the clincher: Tesla's balance sheeet happens to have $17.5B which is approximately 51% of Twitter's market cap.

View attachment 793784

I seriously doubt Musk can accumulate 50% of Twitter without moving the needle on the Twitter share price. Even with his “Cap”.

Roughly 50% of shares outstanding are large institutional investors. Lots of people are likely taking a wait-and-see approach here. Way before 50%, he would just run out of sellers unless he started increasing the purchase price.

Also, I thought Twitter talk was banished to another thread?

So, either way whether the board accepts or not, Elon wins, it's checkmate. Majority ownership or acquisition secured by May 7th.

View attachment 793784

This weekend expecting more fireworks /amusement for the Tesla saga - latest being as Elon Tweeted, how clumsy/ laughable the move by Twitter's board to hire Goldman Sachs as advisors - showing how $54.20 is not in the interest of Twitter's shareholders when Goldman Sachs has a 12 month target price of $30, uh oh ..

View attachment 793788
Still not understanding 100% how this would benefit TSLA (stock, company, investors, employees, etc.) even after reading and watching people but I imagine that there’s something to this in the positive for us

Reactions: kbM3
Even an unverified reference to TSLA/Tesla being involved in the purchase of TWTR most unimpeachably is the purview of this thread.
Once it is debunked? A different matter entirely.

Uh - am I missing something? how can Tesla/ TSLA not be involved in Elon's Twitter chapter/ saga, as Elon doesn't have the cash on hand to proceed with his cash offer, implying that the normal way for him would be to get a loan based on his TSLA holdings?

Uh - am I missing something? how can Tesla/ TSLA not be involved in Elon's Twitter chapter/ saga, as Elon doesn't have the cash on hand to proceed with his cash offer, implying that the normal way for him would be to get a loan based on his TSLA holdings?
You’re missing that I was replying to @Ogre ‘s post. I should have referenced it.

During the TED interview, Elon said he wasn't looking to maximize his ownership of Twitter and would retain as many shareholders as is legally allowable for a private corporation (he estimated about 2,000). Could that mean that he wouldn't be paying the full value of Twitter at $54.20 per share himself, and would be soliciting buy-in from those current large shareholders as well?

During the TED interview, Elon said he wasn't looking to maximize his ownership of Twitter and would retain as many shareholders as is legally allowable for a private corporation (he estimated about 2,000). Could that mean that he wouldn't be paying the full value of Twitter at $54.20 per share himself, and would be soliciting buy-in from those current large shareholders as well?
Everything about this entire show doesn't smell like Elon actually wants to buy twitter. I have the feeling that he planned on dropping this bombshell in the am just to be interviewed in the pm about it. Listening to him doesn't seem like he wants to buy twitter but more of wanting to express his concerns. Asking him if funding is secured and him giving that answer doesn't sound like someone with a plan yet to fork up the cash.

The TED talk was very good. This isn’t’ about money and it’s not about what most think it’s for.
Everything about this entire show doesn't smell like Elon actually wants to buy twitter. I have the feeling that he planned on dropping this bombshell in the am just to be interviewed in the pm about it. Listening to him doesn't seem like he wants to buy twitter but more of wanting to express his concerns. Asking him if funding is secured and him giving that answer doesn't sound like someone with a plan yet to fork up the cash.
Do you think it could be a long game to drum attention for a Tesla Social Media Platform?

The TED talk was very good. This isn’t’ about money and it’s not about what most think it’s for.

Do you think it could be a long game to drum attention for a Tesla Social Media Platform?
Not sure what it's for but he basically barely looked at the operating expenses of Twitter. It was a deer in the headlight when ask how he is suppose to profit off Twitter and he said its not about the money. This is more reason why everyone is freaking the F out at Twitter as jobs may be in danger if Elon is not in it to make money...