Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are we going to be able to get refurbed or new batteries for our old babies? I had figured on that when I bought my car end-2015. Although most likely I’m going to use my S as a local car, and CyberTruck for road trips about then, so declining battery range won’t be a big issue (now 220 rated in 70D).
When I bought my car I thought of 3 possible timeframes too keep the car:
- 4 years: sell the car when it is still worth something
- 15 to 20 years: drive the car until the wheels fall off, in order the spread the purchase cost over as much years as possible
- 8 years: sell the car by the time the drive train warranty expires, in order to avoid the risk of expensive repairs

When I bought my Model S in 2016 the car was so far ahead of the competition that I didn’t think technology advances might be the main reason to sell. But here we are in 2022, and a new Model S has the following advances I’m interested in:
- 600 to 650km range instead 350 mainly because of efficiency reasons: roughly 180Wh/km instead of 220km
— I would lose free supercharging, but I charge >80% at home, so total charging cost wouldn’t change a lot
— much higher second hand prices for old Model S’s, certainly if they have free supercharging (electricity may approach 1 euro/kWh this winter in Europe)
— longer range is mainly useful on location on holiday, to avoid dealing with the different charge cards that seem to be needed everywhere. There are now so many supercharger location that extra range is not needed to reach your holiday destination
- new autopilot being much more functional than autopilot v1
- better infotainment
- smart card instead of key fob, phone as key
- much better active suspension
- native CSS support (hopefully, to be confirmed)
- better climate control
- better noise isolation
- better seats

So I’ll probably sell my Model S before it‘s 8 years old, and the drive train warranty expiration will only be a minor reason amongst a lot of tech reasons.

What is the political and crime situation like in Brazil these days? I haven't followed it. The GM division I used to work at had a plant in Brazil; one of my coworkers in manufacturing engineering went there and was mugged, Violence and crime was pretty universal, with most of those in the middle class, and nearly all foreigners, living in well guarded, gated communities. IIRC kidnapping of foreigners was also an issue. That was nearly 30 years ago so probably none of that applies any longer-I'd certainly hope not.
Personally I don't take any special precautions when I'm in either USA or Brazil, or Mexico for that matter.

1659796955882.png

• Informative
Reactions: hobbes
There is no doubt that Elon said such things could happen. He explicitly said human labor would cease to be a constraint in GNP. That puts us squarely in Isaac Asimov territory, without the complete replication of human form. This is inconceivable to nearly all humans. what will humans do then?

It seems probable that there will be reduced demand for unskilled labor and increased demand for the highest skills. Medicine, Law, Retailing, Hotels, Restaurants…what happens socially and economically when human work is accomplished by robots at a generalized level?

Somehow I think a factory located in skilled labor short areas might be only the proverbial ‘canary in a coal mine’.

The Isaac Asimov book that laid all this out was The Naked Sun. And while that book was a sequel, it reads just fine if you read it first (It was the first Asimov book I read actually). IMHO, the book still holds up well now, 65 years later, which isn’t something you can often say about early sci-fi.

It is set in a world that is the end game of a fully robotized society. 20,000 humans occupy a distant planet, each with huge robot workforces to do all the mining, food production, building, etc. There are very few human experts in anything since the robots do everything. Needless to say it has profound societal consequences.

At the same time raw material scaling needs to be solved and/or fsd needs to be solved. There's not enough demand for 20M cars with an asp of 50k unless fsd is solved or asp drop big time through 4680/or smaller compact car. Lots have to go right for that 20M goal besides just building the factories.

Also if optimus is a thing, that need factories too.

Elon is no doubt counting on FSD being solved which will make ASP largely irrelevant. Right now we have an economy where people buy vacation homes and then rent them out most of the time. Only the ultra rich buy a vacation home and leave it empty most of the time. Same thing will happen with cars once you have FSD (it is happening now already to some extent).

So, here's where we are this Saturday morning with the Investment Relief Act -
The Senate Parliamentarian has ruled that the energy/climate provisions of the act are warranted within the boundaries of reconcilliation, so that will remain in the current bill to be voted on starting later today.

"The Senate is set to convene at noon on Saturday, with the pivotal vote to move forward on the bill expected later in the afternoon. Democrats also received some good news overnight when the parliamentarian ruled that the bill’s energy provisions, including electric vehicle tax credits and a bonus tax credit to encourage clean energy developers to pay the prevailing wage, cleared Senate budget rules.
“The Finance Committee’s clean energy tax package adheres to Senate rules, and important provisions to ensure our clean energy future is built in America have been approved by the parliamentarian,” Senate Finance Committee Chair Ron Wyden (D-Ore.) said in a statement. “I’m especially pleased that our prevailing wage provisions were approved. These provisions guarantee wage rates for clean energy projects. Clean energy jobs will be good-paying jobs.”"

"Some budget experts had surmised that certain conditions placed on the electric vehicle tax credits, including restrictions on where car battery materials must be sourced, ran afoul of the budget rules guiding the process that Democrats are using to pass their bill with a simple majority and evade a filibuster.
Under the current proposal, a car is only eligible for full credit if the batteries were made with materials from the U.S. or countries that have trade agreements with the U.S. — a requirement that some experts argue will make it very difficult to obtain the tax credit.

But those provisions can apparently remain in the package — a decision likely to please Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.), who wanted the restrictions in order to curb the electric vehicle industry’s reliance on China."

So, what's next?

"Saturday’s procedural hurdle, once cleared by Democrats, will trigger up to 20 hours of debate evenly divided by both Democrats and Republicans. But both sides aren’t expected to use their full time.

Rather, senators are likely eager to get started with a marathon amendment process known as vote-a-rama, in which the GOP will mount a series of politically tricky votes for Democrats in the hopes of amending the party-line package more than a year in the making. The Senate must endure the amendment marathon before Democrats can finally approve it."

source: Dems near pivotal vote with climate agenda intact, prescription-drug plan dinged

(ughh, Politico - sorry!) :)

The X.com style plans Elon referred to at the shareholder meetings appear more expansive than what was reported previously.

Perhaps this is what's behind all the retail investor pandering and "don't forget to vote" effort?

Tesla has no real debt and is printing money at a rate where they'll be invincible from Jan 2023 onward. Maybe Elon is going to combine all efforts under X.....and he means ALL efforts. SpaceX, Starlink(separately), Tesla Auto, Tesla Energy, Twitter, Boring, Neuralink, OpenAI, etc.

SpaceX just did another major raise. What's to keep SpaceX from taking a $20B stake in Twitter and then the whole thing gets combined next fall?

I don't know about you, but I'd much rather have 1/2 a share in X than 1 in TSLA.

• Disagree
Reactions: Stormy24 and bubb
When I bought my car I thought of 3 possible timeframes too keep the car:
- 4 years: sell the car when it is still worth something
- 15 to 20 years: drive the car until the wheels fall off, in order the spread the purchase cost over as much years as possible
- 8 years: sell the car by the time the drive train warranty expires, in order to avoid the risk of expensive repairs

When I bought my Model S in 2016 the car was so far ahead of the competition that I didn’t think technology advances might be the main reason to sell. But here we are in 2022, and a new Model S has the following advances I’m interested in:
- 600 to 650km range instead 350 mainly because of efficiency reasons: roughly 180Wh/km instead of 220km
— I would lose free supercharging, but I charge >80% at home, so total charging cost wouldn’t change a lot
— much higher second hand prices for old Model S’s, certainly if they have free supercharging (electricity may approach 1 euro/kWh this winter in Europe)
— longer range is mainly useful on location on holiday, to avoid dealing with the different charge cards that seem to be needed everywhere. There are now so many supercharger location that extra range is not needed to reach your holiday destination
- new autopilot being much more functional than autopilot v1
- better infotainment
- smart card instead of key fob, phone as key
- much better active suspension
- native CSS support (hopefully, to be confirmed)
- better climate control
- better noise isolation
- better seats

So I’ll probably sell my Model S before it‘s 8 years old, and the drive train warranty expiration will only be a minor reason amongst a lot of tech reasons.

Yeah, I’ve been upgrading mostly to get the new tech. But what surprised me is that in this environment, the very high prices I am getting for the used cars makes it a no brainer economically.

Perhaps this is what's behind all the retail investor pandering and "don't forget to vote" effort?

Tesla has no real debt and is printing money at a rate where they'll be invincible from Jan 2023 onward. Maybe Elon is going to combine all efforts under X.....and he means ALL efforts. SpaceX, Starlink(separately), Tesla Auto, Tesla Energy, Twitter, Boring, Neuralink, OpenAI, etc.

SpaceX just did another major raise. What's to keep SpaceX from taking a $20B stake in Twitter and then the whole thing gets combined next fall?

I don't know about you, but I'd much rather have 1/2 a share in X than 1 in TSLA.
Won’t happen. The individual companies would be valued higher individually rather than combined.

Renewables backed by grid level and distributed storage are now cheaper and far superior to legacy options. Their conservative(or selfish if you like) attitude fits perfectly into a plan to transition as quickly as us physically possible.

At this point I think we're pushing way too hard to change people's minds and that gap is just the opportunity fossil interests need to sew doubt and keep renewables markets inefficient.

Your conservative ex-coworker is already doing his job to speed transition in this phase. I would argue you're not doing yours(we're not doing ours).

• Helpful
Reactions: capster
We really need another category for OTA recalls.

For Tesla only 7,311 were physically recalled to the service center. 2,250,339 were fixed with over the air updates. This is right from the NHTSA website. The majority were really silly and just had to do with the noise made by pedestrian warning speaker.

All of the Ford recalls start with "Dealer will perform" so I assume no OTA.

Screen Shot 2022-08-06 at 11.06.00 AM.jpg

This is the same chicken/ egg problem there is in India and Tesla refused to take their bait so far.

Everyone wants Tesla to build a factory in their country, but if they have a tax structure that makes it impossible for Tesla to import cars and get their foot in the door it means Tesla has to swallow a huge risk in order to enter the market. What happens if Tesla drops billions on a factory and there is no market?
IMO, India made a mistake of a lifetime by not cooperating with Tesla.
Stating the obvious and ending with “a tall order” is completely useless. Obviously is hard, otherwise someone would have done it already. 🙄

Maybe not such a tall order. One of the takeaway points from battery day was the decreased footprint needed for battery production on scale.
In addition, after seeing how much production Tesla has been able to squeeze out of Freemont alone they might need to build 'only' 3-4 gigas more.

The incredible production improvement along with constant new developments might make this possible.

I really dispise folks who just plug in the numbers based on old trends and sell it as some sort of discovery without using their brains for a bit. Whomever that tfitter guy is he's a tool.

I what way? Automotive is already underpriced. SpaceX is private. Those two alone would attract $2T at a combined IPO 12 months from now.

Or perhaps it'll all be pseudo-private.
Look, you and I think Tesla is underpriced, but that doesn’t mean the market does. You proposed combining everything into one giant public company. What you and I think it is worth is meaningless, as we don’t have $1T hanging around to invest in it. People already have a hard time valuing a pretty straight forward auto manufacturer. Combine in a bunch of speculative investments (and a failing social media company!) and it won’t get any better.

I do agree that SpaceX (and only SpaceX) might fetch more as a public company today than its current $100B or so valuation, but there’s no guarantee even on that. Regardless, it is moot. Unless Elon changes his mind, it will stay private, with only Starlink being spun out at a very rich valuation once it is in sight of cash flow maturity.

I don't understand this at all over the years. What's the end game for oil and gas if the world just goes to hell and they rake in the profits? Rationally, what's the long-term strategy for saving their lives over the rest of the human population that's combating against oil & gas and trying to transition to renewables?
Billionaire villas in the mountains of Antarctica?

• Funny
Reactions: Artful Dodger
I know more than one of you has looked back at the data from the last stock split, and overlayed it onto the coming one. Would you guys mind talking about what you think is going to happen in the next 2-3 weeks in relation to the split and stock price movement?
I missed a huge part of the increase because I was so so new to the stock market. I got caught by the "3 day rule". I traded a day too soon to be outside the rule and was put in "Time Out" for 3 days. Unfortunately it was 4 days before the stock was to split. I lost about 20% while in trader's jail. and even worse I got out just a day before the split. As soon as I was able to I jumped completely back in. At which time the market dropped about 10% for the day...
So my mind is still suffering PTSD and I can't remember how it all went down.

I'd rephrase that like this

To make 20 million cars in 2030 Tesla will need to have completed 12 giga factories by 2028 to allow time to ramp.

To open in 2028, that last one needs to have started construction in 2026 at the latest.

They have close enough to 4 gigafactories now (China, Germany, Austin, (Fremont+Sparks) is about 3.x and I'll round up.

So Tesla needs to start building 8 new gigafactoires in the next 4 years. Not as tall an order as he suggests, but still a huge undertaking that will be impressive to watch.